15 replies to this topic

#1 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:49 PM

I received the email below in response to an iquiry about gluten-free options at the Six Flags St. Louis park. :(

Thank you for your interest in Six Flags St. Louis. We do not have any gluten free products in the park, but I have included a list of the areas in the park that have gluten in the food, so that you will better know where you are able to eat.

Foods that contain Gluten

· Popcorn chicken (Villains, Calicos, Johnny Rockets, Colonnades, Catina, Mooseburger , Janes)

· Chicken split breasts (Catering , Calico’s)

· Chicken Drumsticks (Catering , Calico’s)

· Breaded Chicken Tenderloin (Catering, Calico’s, Colonnade’s, Johnny Rocket’s, Villains, Mooseburger, Catina, Janes)

· Waffle Cones ( First Cone)]

· Kiddie cone ( First cone)

· Twinkies ( funnel)

· Kaiser Rolls (Catering , Colonnades, Johnny Rockets, Mooseburger, Catina, Janes)

· Hot Dog Buns ( 1904, Janes, Catering)

· Biscuits (Catering, Calico’s)

· Funnel cakes ( Funnel, Janes)

· Pretzels ( Dc, Catina, Tucks, Villians, Heros, Outpost, Catering, Cobbs, Thunder)

· Tortilla ( Villians, Mosseburger)

· Pizza Crust ( All Papa Johns Locations)

· Funnel cake fries ( Calicos)

· Popcorn Shrimp (Catering , Catina, Janes)

· Cookies (Catering , Catina, Outpost, Calicos, Janes,Colonnades, Frian Tucks)

· Brownies ( Mooseburger, Catina, Catering)

· Pie ( Calicos, Catina, Catering, Villians, Colonnades)

· Graham Cracker crust (Cheesecake) ( Calicos, Catina, Catering, Villians, Colonnades)

· Corndogs ( 1904, Catering, Cobbs)

· Nacho Chips ( Cobbs, Catina, Janes, villains, Thunder)

I apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause, if you have any more questions or concerns feel free to contact us at Guest Relations (636)938-5300 ext 397.

Thanks and Have a Six Flags Day!

Kathy M

Admissions Supervisor

Six Flags St. Louis
636-938-5300 ext. 397

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jungle

Jungle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:30 PM

Dear Six Flags,

Do you think it would be possible to get 1 food without Gluten? Is it that much trouble? Really, even a green salad? How about bringing in an apple? Come on!

sincerly,

Not going to be a customer until then.

#3 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:39 PM

I know! My first reaction was not to go. But then the other side kicked in...my son was invited by a friend to go and he is REALLY excited about it. I don't want him to miss out of being a kid just because he has celiac. So we'll find a way to make it work. It's actually a 3 day 2 night trip. I haven't had much luck finding places to eat, so I'm a little stressed. We usually take food with us for trips, but this one is full of logistic challenges - two separate hotels, first without fridge or microwave; second night does have kitchen, but is after a day at Six Flags (so if I were to bring frozen pizza to cook at hotel how do I keep it frozen for two days (one of which the cooler would be in a hot car all day long)??); etc. I'm going to figure it out, but so far it's just not coming to me!

#4 bbuster

bbuster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:31 AM

I know! My first reaction was not to go. But then the other side kicked in...my son was invited by a friend to go and he is REALLY excited about it. I don't want him to miss out of being a kid just because he has celiac. So we'll find a way to make it work. It's actually a 3 day 2 night trip. I haven't had much luck finding places to eat, so I'm a little stressed. We usually take food with us for trips, but this one is full of logistic challenges - two separate hotels, first without fridge or microwave; second night does have kitchen, but is after a day at Six Flags (so if I were to bring frozen pizza to cook at hotel how do I keep it frozen for two days (one of which the cooler would be in a hot car all day long)??); etc. I'm going to figure it out, but so far it's just not coming to me!

If you will have a car, there is a pizza place called Cecil Whittakers just off Hwy 141, maybe a mile at most south of I-44. It's maybe 10-12 miles from Six Flags. They have fantastic gluten-free pizza - thin crust St. Louis style. In the past few months the gluten-free bakery that supplied the crusts (formerly Beck's) was sold and there were delays in the transition with the new owners taking over, but I think they are up and running now. You might want to call and confirm. Anyway, the Cecil Whittakers I am talking about is:

Valley Park/ Fenton
2001 Smizer Station Rd
Valley Park, MO 63088
636-861-2330

We went there last fall for a soccer tournament. To take it a step further, the new bakery is called New Day Gluten Free Grocery & Cafe, 15622 Manchester Road, Ellisville (west of St. Louis, several miles north of I-44). I have not been there since it re-opened, but went once when it was Becks and got some really good stuff! I see that they are on Facebook.
Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

#5 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:51 AM

Does Six Flags allow you to take a small cooler of food in? If not, I would think they should make an exception for someone with celiac or food allergies. Perhaps a drs note would be acceptable? Otherwise, can they leave the park with a stamp on their hands and still get back in that day? Perhaps keeping a cooler a food in the car and go to the parking lot for lunch or a snack. For that first day in the hotel without a fridge, lots of cold things can be kept for a day in a cooler, just replenish the ice from the hotel ice machine as it melts.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#6 bbuster

bbuster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:54 AM

Does Six Flags allow you to take a small cooler of food in? If not, I would think they should make an exception for someone with celiac or food allergies. Perhaps a drs note would be acceptable?

Most parks I have ever checked out allow this.

From the Six Flags St. Louis website FAQ:

May I bring my own food and beverages into Six Flags St. Louis?

No outside food, beverages or coolers are allowed to be brought into Six Flags St. Louis. However, exceptions are made for Guests with special dietary needs to include food allergies and baby food/formula. Guest should contact Park Security or Guest Relations when they arrive at the Park for approval to bring in special dietary foods. The special dietary food containers will be marked and dated to clearly show that they have been approved for entry into the park.

Otherwise, can they leave the park with a stamp on their hands and still get back in that day? Perhaps keeping a cooler a food in the car and go to the parking lot for lunch or a snack.

I know you can do this - my cheap (excuse me, THRIFTY) brother used to do it whenever they went there.
Bev

#7 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:21 AM

Most parks I have ever checked out allow this.

From the Six Flags St. Louis website FAQ:

May I bring my own food and beverages into Six Flags St. Louis?

No outside food, beverages or coolers are allowed to be brought into Six Flags St. Louis. However, exceptions are made for Guests with special dietary needs to include food allergies and baby food/formula. Guest should contact Park Security or Guest Relations when they arrive at the Park for approval to bring in special dietary foods. The special dietary food containers will be marked and dated to clearly show that they have been approved for entry into the park.

I know you can do this - my cheap (excuse me, THRIFTY) brother used to do it whenever they went there.

LOL! I grew up with cheap--er thrify parents. We always used to do that at amusement parks in the 1980's. We either had a small portable cooler of food or a big cooler in the car and we would just go to the parking lot for a tailgate-style lunch. I've never been to Six Flags, however.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#8 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:24 PM

I emailed them back asking about pieces of fruit or bags of chips and the response I got was that they were unaware of any places selling either. I am so very unimpressed with them. I know we're spoiled by Disney, but come on - a piece of fruit??!?!? Is that too much to ask for? We will be coolering it a lot for that trip. I did find New Day Gluten Free that is opening up soon with dine in and appears to already be open for carry out items. Looks like a great little place. Hope it makes it!

#9 bbuster

bbuster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:35 PM

LOL! I grew up with cheap--er thrify parents. We always used to do that at amusement parks in the 1980's. We either had a small portable cooler of food or a big cooler in the car and we would just go to the parking lot for a tailgate-style lunch. I've never been to Six Flags, however.

I have not been to Six Flags in many, many years, but I promise that you are better off eating your own food than the crappy, overpriced stuff they sell inside the park.

We are planning a trip to Florida that will include the Universal parks and CityWalk, where we can get some really good overpriced food. Topping our list will be Margaritaville - they took such good care of us (four years ago), making special arrangements to make sure my son got a great gluten-free meal. He just wanted burgers and fries, but they went somewhere to get him a gluten-free bun for the burger and a gluten-free brownie for a giant ice cream dessert. This week I checked their website, and now they have a gluten-free menu that includes all these things as standard!!!
Bev

#10 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:45 AM

Just for the record, Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ is the same way with gluten-free food. Basically, I'm on my own.

And on a completely unrelated note, on the website Damn You Autocorrect I saw where someone's phone had autocorrected Six Flags to Sex Flaps. Now I can't think of these parks without giggling.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#11 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:43 AM

Hersheypark probably is one of the best themeparks for gluten free options. We went last weekend with our family and there were gluten free wraps, buns, pizza and chicken fingers! It takes awhile longer to cook them than the normal food but none of us got sick!

#12 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:49 AM

Agreed, the Hershey Park gluten-free pizza was incredible! I wish it was available everywhere.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#13 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:07 PM

I know Disney has us spoiled...We'll see how this adventure turns out...

#14 Austin Guy

Austin Guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:47 AM

I did Six Flags Fiesta Texas with kids a few weeks ago. A cooler in the car with water, protein, fruit and snacks was very welcome. It was safe for me to eat and didn't cost us a tenth of what park food would have cost. Being in the car with the AC running on a 100 degree day was also a huge plus.

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant May 10, 2011 after going gluten free May 8.
Allergic to cat dander, salmon, nuts, lots of airborne pollens and mold.
Soy intolerance August 2011
Dairy and egg intolerance November 2011
Peanuts 2013
Titanium dioxide June, 2014

Bisphenol-A August, 2014.

#15 October3

October3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:33 AM

I did Six Flags Fiesta Texas with kids a few weeks ago. A cooler in the car with water, protein, fruit and snacks was very welcome. It was safe for me to eat and didn't cost us a tenth of what park food would have cost. Being in the car with the AC running on a 100 degree day was also a huge plus.

I'm thinking they must mean they don't have anything certified gluten-free, because there are lots of things they serve not on the list of foods containing gluten. Things like ice cream (not in a cone), their big turkey legs and corn on the cob.

We're going today and I tried to call them but its too early. If I get confirmation of any foods that are actually safe I will post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: