This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hair Regimen

yepunsarang

yepunsarang Newbie

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on this forum and I'm a newbie!

I am actually not too sure if I am gluten intolerant, but ever since going gluten free since Italy (aye karamba!)

I feel soo much better, better than I've felt in years actually. But one awful side affect I've been experiencing is

hair loss/ thinning rapidly, in addition to my skin getting more sallow, dull. My complexion used to be so beautiful,

and glowing at all times!

I'm getting worried about this and am thinking it's probably due to lack of vitamin absorption. I'm taking Maxi Hair

by Country Life right now for one month. But I feel as though my hair is getting thinner (it's not falling out as much though).

I'm wondering what all of you are doing for your hair regimen (especially in the vitamin department). I'm just overwhelmed by

the things people are suggesting (nearly everything). Also, what do you think I can do about my skin and hair?

Thanks so much guys! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

K8ling Enthusiast

I was actually diagnosed because I was losing my hair. It WAS a malabsorption thing but it cleared up a few months after I went gluten-free. Not my hair is healthy and thick (but who knows maybe it's the baby LOL)

srall Contributor

My hair has also gotten thicker the longer I've been gluten free. The other thing I finally learned is that it's better for your hair and scalp if you don't wash it very often. Gross but true. If I work out I at least wet it in the shower, but I really only wash 2 times a week. Not sure if this will give your thinning hair an extra boost. I think it's mostly diet. As far as vitamins I don't know which effect hair growth. Personally I take vitamin D and B.

Marilyn R Community Regular

It might be worthwhile to have your Vitamin D-3 checked in a blood test. It helps me (and my shower drain) to supplement my D-3. :D

jenngolightly Contributor

It's hard to tell from your post whether you've seen a doctor yet...

I agree that you should get some blood work done. Celiacs very often have vitamin and mineral imbalances because of the improper digestion of food over many years. The results might help not only with your hair and skin issues, but may reveal a lot of hidden issues that commonly afflict Celiacs.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Biotin, a B vitamin is good for hair and nails. I also take D3 and K. I have had good luck with NOW brand as far as being allergen free. I used to take the brand of vitamins you do for hair loss then discovered it has soy. For me soy and gluten both cause hair loss. I second getting your vitamin and mineral levels checked. Also if you were very ill before going gluten free that in itself will cause hair loss. Severe stress can also. It takes about 3 months to see any regrowth after a period of hair loss. Also be sure to eliminate gluten ingredients from your hair care products.

mommida Enthusiast

Yep. Everything that Ravenwoodglass posted.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

Eat well, including good fats such as olive and coconut oils, but avoid the things you react to, including the ingredients in any supplements, rinse your hair well with water instead of washing it everyday, saving the shampooing for several times a week or if it's really sweaty or dirty,(search on "co rinsing hair care") final rinse with apple cider vinegar and water to correct the pH, don't be afraid to use shea butter or coconut oil as a final conditioner in small quantities, and never use a blow dryer unless it is unheated.

Might want to have your thyroid checked, also.

Archived