5 replies to this topic

#1 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:33 PM

I've been a vegetarian for 2 years. I won't go back to eating meat. So don't try to convince me otherwise ;) :P I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there that does this effectively as well as your thoughts on the pros and cons. I do eat eggs and cheese, both local and organic. I do not drink milk but I love both almond and coconut milks.

Curiosity B)

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Chiana

Chiana

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:44 PM

Cheese wouldn't work in the Paleo diet, which would leave you with lots of eggs to get your b12, etc. Are you averse to eating fish?

#3 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:52 AM

I've been a vegetarian for 2 years. I won't go back to eating meat. So don't try to convince me otherwise ;) :P I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there that does this effectively as well as your thoughts on the pros and cons. I do eat eggs and cheese, both local and organic. I do not drink milk but I love both almond and coconut milks.

Curiosity B)

I would think it depends on your interpretation of Paleo. My personal interpretation is: Very simply, eat what our ancestors ate before the agricultural revolution.Basically,, Eat nuts, seeds, fruits and vegetables. And on occasion meat.

But as a vegetarian of course the meat is out,,so consider adding legumes (if tolerated)

Can it be done long term?? As long as you watch your protein ,B12 and D levels ,, why not. :)

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#4 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:58 AM

My body doesn't tolerate meat very well at all, and I really don't like it-never have. I've considered putting in a serving of fish a week, but haven't made the jump yet. I know the cheese doesn't work on an actual Paleo diet, but because I can't eat a dozen eggs per day, greek yogurt and 1 serving of cheese per day are an added protein that I need. I eat nuts daily, lower carb fruits like berries, lots of veggies and almost nothing processed. I'm working on getting most of the grains out of my diet other than perhaps quinoa. It's still a work in progress ;) So, I guess I won't give it a name, because from what I've read on other blogs and forums, Paleo's take their diet waaaaaay serious. I don't wish to offend B)

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#5 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:44 PM

My body doesn't tolerate meat very well at all, and I really don't like it-never have. I've considered putting in a serving of fish a week, but haven't made the jump yet. I know the cheese doesn't work on an actual Paleo diet, but because I can't eat a dozen eggs per day, greek yogurt and 1 serving of cheese per day are an added protein that I need. I eat nuts daily, lower carb fruits like berries, lots of veggies and almost nothing processed. I'm working on getting most of the grains out of my diet other than perhaps quinoa. It's still a work in progress ;) So, I guess I won't give it a name, because from what I've read on other blogs and forums, Paleo's take their diet waaaaaay serious. I don't wish to offend B)

I think you should do a vegetarian paleo with whatever you want and call it the Rachelle-Paleo diet. If you are careful, it should work from a nutrition and health standpoint. It will just take more work than a regular paleo diet.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#6 Chiana

Chiana

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:36 AM

Personally, I don't think grains are quite the villain people make them out to be, we just eat WAAAAY too much. If you were in a society pre-cereal cultivation, you would still eat things like wild rices from time to time, because it's in your environment and safe to eat. Would you eat it all the time? Probably not - probably only when food sources are getting a little slim.

Now, I do think dairy is taking the place of a lot of food people *should* be eating. You don't need anything that dairy can provide you - certainly not the calcium. I like to use pages that cite their sources, but I think this sums up dairy pretty well, and everything on here is easily verifiable.

http://www.yogathera...r-healthy-bones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: