Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Thinking About Having A Little Dairy....

19 posts in this topic

I went off dairy shortly after going gluten-free about two months ago. I was eating greek yogurt and cheese, and it was giving me a stomach ache. I've been able to handle trace amounts of milk in protein bars and butter/chocolate chips in the cookies I occasionally make.

My boyfriend and I are going to a day spa this weekend, and there aren't many gluten-free options there (I called them and they weren't able to give me any information about it). I'm happy bringing my own food, but last time we were there I had the most wonderful strawberry smoothie, and I know it's going to be really tempting. When I spoke to them they said that it was made out of just strawberries and yogurt. When I asked if I could request soy milk, they said that they don't have any - ?!?!?! How do you have a Starbucks in the building and even they don't have soy milk!?!

Anyway, I'm thinking about trying the smoothie. Do you think I'll regret it? :unsure:

Ads by Google:

Have some yogurt today and see what happens. That way you won't get sick on your vacation if it turns out it still an issue.

Yes, my personal opinion is that it is a bit soon for a big dose of lactose. While some healing will have taken place, I wouldn't risk ruining a great day.

Yes, my personal opinion is that it is a bit soon for a big dose of lactose. While some healing will have taken place, I wouldn't risk ruining a great day.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm concerned about. Hmmm....I wonder if I could find some dairy free yogurt, bring it with me, and ask them to use that instead....

I made the mistake of having ice cream on my birthday 3 months after I stopped dairy. It didn't take long to know it was a mistake. You called them asking if they had soy milk, why not call and ask if you can bring your own? :) The worst they can do is say no.

What if you made your own smoothie in advance with things you know you can have and ask them to serve it to you in one of their glasses or something? In addition to the dairy issue, if they make anything else in the same blender there is a possible gluten cc issue. Especially if this is a health spa that makes things like wheat grass smoothies or something. It's not the same thing, but I worked at a coffee house where we made blended drinks and we just rinsed the blender in between drinks. We didn't wash it out or scrub the blades or anything. It would have been a huge cc issue for people with allergies or intolerances.

Will taking lactase cover this issue? For me it feels more like an allergic reaction (congestion) then the lactose gi stuff.

If it is an IgE reaction, (histamine), you are reacting to the casein protein, not the lactose. Lactaid would not help with that. I agree that it might ruin a good day. Could you test it before hand? If you really want their smoothies and decide to have it anyway, how about asking for a very small glass?

Taking a pill to try to counter act any of the reactions doesn't really deal with the cross contamination issue of restaurants that don't understand the concept, or are unwilling, to make something non allergenic or non reactive for the food - sensitive.

I don't see why the original OP just doesn't buy some strawberries and a pint of coconut bliss and make their own smoothie in the blender at home now if they want a treat. Some places "just don't get it."

Interesting point. It seems that usually people respond that the issue is the lactase being made on the villi which are now damaged. So it sounds like that really may not be relevant to this issue as it is not a lactase deficiency but a lactose/gluten confusion.

If you were having problems with yogurt and cheese, that sounds more like a casein issue than lactose. (Though, I guess you could be having a response to the trace amounts of lactose that might still be in those products?) I have an obvious lactose thing: I can have yogurt and cheese with no problem, but a glass of milk will make me feel like junk for the rest of the afternoon.

I second the "try some yogurt before you go" idea.

I just spoke with the people at the spa. They don't let outside food in (that's not gonna stop me from having a protein bar and nuts in my bag though), but they said they also make smoothies with just fruit, water and ice. So I'm set. :)

And I'm not worried about a CC issue because at this juice bar they only use fresh fruit, water, milk, and yogurt. No added syrups or anything.

Chiana - Thanks for bringing up the casein issue. I had wondered why yogurt and aged cheese gave me such a bad reaction when those foods generally have very low lactose levels. I could only imagine what would happen if I drank a glass of milk. Yikes. Is a casein intolerance something that I can be tested for?

Takala - Sure I could make my own smoothie at home, but it's not the same as when I'm in hot saunas all day and would like to have a drink with my boyfriend to cool down. If I wanted one right now, I'd just make it. Thanks for the suggestion, though, I'll probably try that sometime this summer.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

I just spoke with the people at the spa. They don't let outside food in (that's not gonna stop me from having a protein bar and nuts in my bag though), but they said they also make smoothies with just fruit, water and ice. So I'm set. :)

And I'm not worried about a CC issue because at this juice bar they only use fresh fruit, water, milk, and yogurt. No added syrups or anything.

It sounds like that's the best solution then--to just try something else. Who knows you might find a new fruit drink you really like! I try to look at the positive side of this disease--at least we are forced to try new things. I have many new favorites I never would have tried if it were not for being forced to try them. Enjoy your spa day! :)

Chiana - Thanks for bringing up the casein issue. I had wondered why yogurt and aged cheese gave me such a bad reaction when those foods generally have very low lactose levels. I could only imagine what would happen if I drank a glass of milk. Yikes. Is a casein intolerance something that I can be tested for?

Takala - Sure I could make my own smoothie at home, but it's not the same as when I'm in hot saunas all day and would like to have a drink with my boyfriend to cool down. If I wanted one right now, I'd just make it. Thanks for the suggestion, though, I'll probably try that sometime this summer.

It's my understanding that since you have Celiac disease, an illness that is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), you can bring your own "safe" food into this kind of establishment - no need to sneak it in.

It's my understanding that since you have Celiac disease, an illness that is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), you can bring your own "safe" food into this kind of establishment - no need to sneak it in.

That's awesome! I didn't know that so thanks. :)

I would be careful with dairy especially since you have noticed a connection between your symptoms and having dairy. There are twenty some proteins in milk you could be reacting to or the lactose/ milk sugar. I was diagnosed with casein intolerance, so I switched to alternative milk usually almond, cashew ice cream, and Daiya vegan cheese (though it has yeast so I cannot have it any more). I am so tempted to have cheese because I used to love eating it and I never noticed a connection between it and my symptoms. I am still hoping to find an alternative. I hope you can find an alternative. I think they should make you a delicious soy milk smoothie - why cannot you bring soy milk or they get some from the Starbucks? I hate to see you suffer for a few minutes of enjoying a smoothie even if it is great. Ultimately, you have to decide what you want and what is best for you. I hope they can make you a safe one it is not your fault you cannot tolerate milk. Best wishes!

Spa day is done and we had a wonderful time! I got strawberries blended with ice and water (no dairy). It wasn't quite as good as the one with yogurt, but better safe than sorry. And it was more about the experience, anyway, and having a nice, normal, relaxing day with my boyfriend. :)

Spa day is done and we had a wonderful time! I got strawberries blended with ice and water (no dairy). It wasn't quite as good as the one with yogurt, but better safe than sorry. And it was more about the experience, anyway, and having a nice, normal, relaxing day with my boyfriend. :)

Excellent news! B)

Smart girll!!! Glad you had a good time, even though you wanted the dairy :D