Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Thinking About Having A Little Dairy....

• Please log in to reply

18 replies to this topic

#1 WinterSong

WinterSong

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:46 AM

I went off dairy shortly after going gluten-free about two months ago. I was eating greek yogurt and cheese, and it was giving me a stomach ache. I've been able to handle trace amounts of milk in protein bars and butter/chocolate chips in the cookies I occasionally make.

My boyfriend and I are going to a day spa this weekend, and there aren't many gluten-free options there (I called them and they weren't able to give me any information about it). I'm happy bringing my own food, but last time we were there I had the most wonderful strawberry smoothie, and I know it's going to be really tempting. When I spoke to them they said that it was made out of just strawberries and yogurt. When I asked if I could request soy milk, they said that they don't have any - ?!?!?! How do you have a Starbucks in the building and even they don't have soy milk!?!

Anyway, I'm thinking about trying the smoothie. Do you think I'll regret it? :unsure:

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:56 AM

Have some yogurt today and see what happens. That way you won't get sick on your vacation if it turns out it still an issue.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:56 AM

Yes, my personal opinion is that it is a bit soon for a big dose of lactose. While some healing will have taken place, I wouldn't risk ruining a great day.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:34 AM

Yes, my personal opinion is that it is a bit soon for a big dose of lactose. While some healing will have taken place, I wouldn't risk ruining a great day.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm concerned about. Hmmm....I wonder if I could find some dairy free yogurt, bring it with me, and ask them to use that instead....

#5 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:45 AM

I made the mistake of having ice cream on my birthday 3 months after I stopped dairy. It didn't take long to know it was a mistake. You called them asking if they had soy milk, why not call and ask if you can bring your own? :) The worst they can do is say no.
If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#6 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:02 AM

What if you made your own smoothie in advance with things you know you can have and ask them to serve it to you in one of their glasses or something? In addition to the dairy issue, if they make anything else in the same blender there is a possible gluten cc issue. Especially if this is a health spa that makes things like wheat grass smoothies or something. It's not the same thing, but I worked at a coffee house where we made blended drinks and we just rinsed the blender in between drinks. We didn't wash it out or scrub the blades or anything. It would have been a huge cc issue for people with allergies or intolerances.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#7 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:31 AM

Will taking lactase cover this issue? For me it feels more like an allergic reaction (congestion) then the lactose gi stuff.

#8 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:54 AM

If it is an IgE reaction, (histamine), you are reacting to the casein protein, not the lactose. Lactaid would not help with that. I agree that it might ruin a good day. Could you test it before hand? If you really want their smoothies and decide to have it anyway, how about asking for a very small glass?
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#9 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:57 AM

Taking a pill to try to counter act any of the reactions doesn't really deal with the cross contamination issue of restaurants that don't understand the concept, or are unwilling, to make something non allergenic or non reactive for the food - sensitive.

I don't see why the original OP just doesn't buy some strawberries and a pint of coconut bliss and make their own smoothie in the blender at home now if they want a treat. Some places "just don't get it."

#10 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:03 AM

Interesting point. It seems that usually people respond that the issue is the lactase being made on the villi which are now damaged. So it sounds like that really may not be relevant to this issue as it is not a lactase deficiency but a lactose/gluten confusion.

#11 Chiana

Chiana

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:32 AM

If you were having problems with yogurt and cheese, that sounds more like a casein issue than lactose. (Though, I guess you could be having a response to the trace amounts of lactose that might still be in those products?) I have an obvious lactose thing: I can have yogurt and cheese with no problem, but a glass of milk will make me feel like junk for the rest of the afternoon.

I second the "try some yogurt before you go" idea.

#12 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:44 AM

I just spoke with the people at the spa. They don't let outside food in (that's not gonna stop me from having a protein bar and nuts in my bag though), but they said they also make smoothies with just fruit, water and ice. So I'm set. :)

And I'm not worried about a CC issue because at this juice bar they only use fresh fruit, water, milk, and yogurt. No added syrups or anything.

Chiana - Thanks for bringing up the casein issue. I had wondered why yogurt and aged cheese gave me such a bad reaction when those foods generally have very low lactose levels. I could only imagine what would happen if I drank a glass of milk. Yikes. Is a casein intolerance something that I can be tested for?

Takala - Sure I could make my own smoothie at home, but it's not the same as when I'm in hot saunas all day and would like to have a drink with my boyfriend to cool down. If I wanted one right now, I'd just make it. Thanks for the suggestion, though, I'll probably try that sometime this summer.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

#13 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:06 AM

I just spoke with the people at the spa. They don't let outside food in (that's not gonna stop me from having a protein bar and nuts in my bag though), but they said they also make smoothies with just fruit, water and ice. So I'm set. :)

And I'm not worried about a CC issue because at this juice bar they only use fresh fruit, water, milk, and yogurt. No added syrups or anything.

It sounds like that's the best solution then--to just try something else. Who knows you might find a new fruit drink you really like! I try to look at the positive side of this disease--at least we are forced to try new things. I have many new favorites I never would have tried if it were not for being forced to try them. Enjoy your spa day! :)
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#14 jenngolightly

jenngolightly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:16 PM

Chiana - Thanks for bringing up the casein issue. I had wondered why yogurt and aged cheese gave me such a bad reaction when those foods generally have very low lactose levels. I could only imagine what would happen if I drank a glass of milk. Yikes. Is a casein intolerance something that I can be tested for?

Takala - Sure I could make my own smoothie at home, but it's not the same as when I'm in hot saunas all day and would like to have a drink with my boyfriend to cool down. If I wanted one right now, I'd just make it. Thanks for the suggestion, though, I'll probably try that sometime this summer.

It's my understanding that since you have Celiac disease, an illness that is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), you can bring your own "safe" food into this kind of establishment - no need to sneak it in.
Jenn
dx celiac 9/2007: gluten-free 9/2007
corn intolerant: corn-free 5/2010
nut allergy: nut-free 8/2010

#15 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:07 PM

It's my understanding that since you have Celiac disease, an illness that is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), you can bring your own "safe" food into this kind of establishment - no need to sneak it in.

That's awesome! I didn't know that so thanks. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: