6 replies to this topic

#1 Swimmr

Swimmr

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:00 AM

I can't successfully communicate with my local Mi Casita restaurant in regards to their white cheese queso.

I have searched and searched for information on this and come up empty. I want to know if anyone can either find out or if anyone just knows if it's safe or not. I'm 16 weeks prego and craving some beans and rice SO bad...and I have chips here at work with me, but want some queso badly...like REALLY BAD.

Can anyone help me out? Much appreciated :)
-Self-diagnosed gluten/wheat intolerance 2007. Negative (basic) blood test for celiac disease March 2009.
-Diagnosed positive for Celiac 5/11/2010!!
-Vitamin D low (last year was deficient), Iodine low, Protein S low. Balance/dizziness not related to Celiac.
-Elimination diet 11-4-2009 and ended 02-28-2010. Tolerating dairy again. Highly intolerant to soy, sensitive to green peas and corn kernels.
"Oh CRAP! Are you SERIOUS??

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:42 AM

I don't know about your specific restaurant, but no queso recipe I've ever seen has any sort of thickener, other than cheese.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#3 cdog7

cdog7

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:46 AM

Only time I've been duped by queso at an Austin Grill years ago, their queso turned out to contain beer. But I understand this is quite uncommon! My boyfriend is from Texas and thought it was bizarre, for whatever that's worth. And the beer-laden queso was a dark yellow, not the white cheese kind. I indulge in Tex-Mex pretty often myself and have yet to see this duplicated anywhere else.

#4 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:59 AM

I have run across Queso sauces that have a flour/water base to thicken them so I wouldn't eat it if you can't get a clear answer.

Did you try using the contact form on their main website to ask?
http://www.micasitar...om/contact.html

#5 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:07 AM

I have run across Queso sauces that have a flour/water base to thicken them so I wouldn't eat it if you can't get a clear answer.

Yuck! What a waste of cheese. It's like the people that make cheese sauce by starting with a roux. Just add more cheese if you want it thicker. :D
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#6 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:18 AM

Can you buy some at the grocery store instead so you can be sure of the ingredients and prep? Even if the Queso is free of gluten ingredients it could be cc'd in the restaurant. Especially a restuarant that does not have a gluten-free menu or training in preventing cc. I have not been able to safely eat at any Mexican places because it seems like they put flour in everything to stretch it.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#7 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:34 AM

I know there are some cheese fondue recipes that have corn starch. Its sort of like queso.

i wouldn't eat somewhere that doesn't understand what yoyu are asking.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: