This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Do You Handle Your Child's Birthday Party?

alex11602

alex11602 Collaborator

How did the party go?

Her party is on August 6th, but I needed to figure out food already because people were already giving me grief about it. It's a very hot button issue right now since there are people who do not believe that my children have a problem with food since the doctor diagnosed based mostly on dietary response. I am hoping that the party will go well, if not I may just keep them out of those situations from now on.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

Her party is on August 6th, but I needed to figure out food already because people were already giving me grief about it. It's a very hot button issue right now since there are people who do not believe that my children have a problem with food since the doctor diagnosed based mostly on dietary response. I am hoping that the party will go well, if not I may just keep them out of those situations from now on.

I'm sorry that it is such an issue for others. It's really sad that grown ups are acting that way. This is supposed to be a happy day for your daughter so I hope it is. Don't let anyone be a buzzkill. Good luck!!

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with people like that. I would be tempted to tell them that if they were going to be so concerned about what they were eating instead of coming celebrate the birthday girl that they can stay at home as their gift to her. What kind of selfish people worry about what they will eat at a child's birthday party when it isn't even their child havign the birthday? I'm guessign these are family and excluding them would cause more tension and grief, but really if they were invited to a neighbor child's party and the neighbor child had diabetes would they complain about having to eat low sugar cake? If the child had a peanut allergy would they bring peanuts and insist upon eating them infront of the peanut allergic child?

tarnalberry Community Regular

Seriously, you're *guests* are giving you grief? That's crass of them. Ridiculously rude, even.

Honestly, their greediness and self-centeredness is none of your concern, and I strongly encourage you to let your daughter's party be about and for her. (Any anger you sense in this reply is not directed at you, but at people who would assume to tell you how to provide food at your own party and chastise you for not doing it their way.)

RL2011 Rookie

It is often hard to stand alone with your convictions in face of other peoples ignorance. You are the parent of your child and trying to do what is best for her. Don't be concerned about what they think and view their opinions as misguided information and let them talk with you in private about anything they want. You can't do much about your family, however, you must demand they respect your parenting and not interfere with your efforts.

Don't let anyone set the tone for you or your family's emotional and physical well being. Continue educating yourself and surround yourself with smart friends.

Good luck and make the party fun!

alex11602 Collaborator

Thank you everyone!!! I decided that I am just going to feed everyone what my daughter wants. She decided on a small menu so far and it includes hot dogs that are cut into octopus, mini pizzas made in a muffin pan, blue jello with fish in a fishbowl, strawberries cut into seashells, cucumber and watermelon cut into starfish, a pepper cut into an octopus with dip and other veggies and a chocolate cake with Ariel on it. We just got her a cookbook and she has been very interested in cooking and picking out recipes plus learning how to adapt them so that we can eat them.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Thank you everyone!!! I decided that I am just going to feed everyone what my daughter wants. She decided on a small menu so far and it includes hot dogs that are cut into octopus, mini pizzas made in a muffin pan, blue jello with fish in a fishbowl, strawberries cut into seashells, cucumber and watermelon cut into starfish, a pepper cut into an octopus with dip and other veggies and a chocolate cake with Ariel on it. We just got her a cookbook and she has been very interested in cooking and picking out recipes plus learning how to adapt them so that we can eat them.

That sounds like a great menu for a kids party to me! Anyone that complains about the lack of gluten is downright rude. Actually, I would not even tell them right away that the cake and mini pizzas are gluten-free. Let them eat it first and see what they say. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

That sounds like it is pefectly themed for your party!

Post some pics if you get a chance.

Roda Rising Star

That does sound great. My youngest son's kindergarden class had a luau at the end of school last month. They did everything gluten free and I don't think they mentioned anything to anyone but me so he could participate. They did the octopus out of the hotdogs and they loved it. I made the blue jello and put gummy fish it. They also had fruit and veggies. The kids had a great time.

Brenna'sMom Newbie

It sounds perfect! It will be so much fun for her!!

Poppi Enthusiast

We are gluten, coconut and food colouring free here and my son's 6th birthday party is on Saturday. I am the only person in the family currently gluten free (although all the children are being tested over the summer) but since I am preparing all the food and there will be over 20 kids I am making the party gluten free. I don't want to be worried about all the surfaces in the house and yard being contaminated!

I made the a party from 1:00-4:00 so nobody expects a full meal.

Cake will be a Dairy Queen ice cream cake made with cold fudge in the middle instead of cookie crumbles and left without decoration except for the birthday message written in cold fudge. We bought a bag of safe Hariboo gummy candies to decorate with. I will also make a batch of dairy/gluten/egg free chocolate cupcakes as well as I think one of the kids coming has a dairy and/or egg allergy as well and the cake won't be enough for everyone.

Other food:

Fruit (watermelon, grapes, oranges)

Veggies and tzatziki dip

Cheese platter with gluten-free crackers and various cheeses

Lay's salt and vinegar chips

Tostitos, mango salsa and guacamole

Homemade gluten-free chocolate chip cookies

Juice and pop to drink

We're focusing a lot on the games and activities and I think it'll go great.

Pheebers Newbie

Our biggest challenge at social gatherings is CC. My daughter's 13, and friends like to share their and her food, but it's easy for them to forget that they can't eat one of their cookies and then dip into her bag of M&Ms. She tells them, and they try, but she has to be constantly vigilant.

I promise you it will be MUCH easier to make the whole party gluten-free. Fruit salad (served with toothpicks -- kids will eat anything they can stab with a frilly toothpick), cheese and gluten-free cracker trays, chips, gluten-free pretzels, candy, veggies and dip -- this is all very easy and doesn't scream gluten-free to your guests.

For protein -- tacos (the corn shells, of cours), homemade meatballs, deli meats rolled up to be finger foods, nuts. You can serve things in small cupcake liners to make them pretty.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Hey Alex, since you've got time . . . have you thought about maybe making a fish or octopus pinata? Don't know how crafty you are at your house, but we've done the paper mache thing here and it was pretty fun and turned out well. Instead of flour and water, just use one part elmers glue to two parts water and mix well. Google "make a fish pinata" and you'll come up with some websites to help you . . . although I think an octopus one would be easiest:

Open Original Shared Link

alex11602 Collaborator

Hey Alex, since you've got time . . . have you thought about maybe making a fish or octopus pinata? Don't know how crafty you are at your house, but we've done the paper mache thing here and it was pretty fun and turned out well. Instead of flour and water, just use one part elmers glue to two parts water and mix well. Google "make a fish pinata" and you'll come up with some websites to help you . . . although I think an octopus one would be easiest:

Open Original Shared Link

Thank you! I'm crafty as far as making a few things, but it doesn't hurt to try. She had asked me for a pinata, but I thought I remembered paper mache being made with flour. Never would have thought to use the glue and water. I guess it's a good thing we are starting to get everything ready early.

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

We throw ALL birthday parties gluten free - that's cake, cookies, meal, EVERYTHING. I am 100% in favor of the birthday child being able to eat whatever is served. Everyone else is there to celebrate the child's day. We even threw my grandmother's 80th birthday party with over 50 people gluten free just because my mom was hosting and my son (the only celiac) was going to be there. She said it was just easier to make it all safe for him. I don't think anyone notices or cares. At his first party gluten free I had one cousin (after the meal, so she didn't notice anything during the meal as being gluten free) ask which cake (I'd made 2 because the party was too large for one) was gluten free and which was regular. I told her both were gluten free, of course. I noticed she went back for seconds on the cake. :D

As for a tea party menu...no clue...I don't have any daughters and I was a tomboy...

• 2 weeks later...
catsmeow Contributor

Our biggest challenge at social gatherings is CC. My daughter's 13, and friends like to share their and her food, but it's easy for them to forget that they can't eat one of their cookies and then dip into her bag of M&Ms. She tells them, and they try, but she has to be constantly vigilant.

I promise you it will be MUCH easier to make the whole party gluten-free. Fruit salad (served with toothpicks -- kids will eat anything they can stab with a frilly toothpick), cheese and gluten-free cracker trays, chips, gluten-free pretzels, candy, veggies and dip -- this is all very easy and doesn't scream gluten-free to your guests.

For protein -- tacos (the corn shells, of cours), homemade meatballs, deli meats rolled up to be finger foods, nuts. You can serve things in small cupcake liners to make them pretty.

TACO's!!!!! Awesome idea!!!!!! I'm planning my daughter's 12 birthday party, and you just gave me the answer to my food problem. I have to feed them, they are staying the night. Whoo Hooo...taco station!!!! LOVE IT!!!

celiac-mommy Collaborator

My parties, My food. You complain, don't eat!

I throw a lot of parties and I could give a rat's a$$ if people have a problem with it being gluten-free but honestly, most don't. I had one guy tell me that he felt like his throat was burning the first time he tried my gluten-free cake. I haven't let him live that one down ;) I pick a theme, figure out a menu to go with the theme and that's that. I also don't make a big deal about it being gluten-free. I put out the food and invite everyone to come and eat! B)

My son's 6th birthday party was last weekend. It was a camping theme. We had hot dogs on a stick and corn on the cob cooked on the camp stove, potato salad, chips, veggie tray, open faced smores and trail mix. His cake was multilayered chocolate and vanilla cake in the shape of a tent. The kids each made their own vanilla ice cream!! All I got were compliments!

Good luck-but I know you'll be fine!!

celiac-mommy Collaborator

TACO's!!!!! Awesome idea!!!!!! I'm planning my daughter's 12 birthday party, and you just gave me the answer to my food problem. I have to feed them, they are staying the night. Whoo Hooo...taco station!!!! LOVE IT!!!

Another idea-my daughter gets sooooo sick of cakes (bc I have a cake business out of my home and they eat all the shavings :P ), she prefers to have an ice cream sundae 'bar' at her parties for dessert. We buy 2 different ice cream flavors and then set out bowls of all kinds of gluten-free toppings for the kids to make their own sundaes. It's always a hit!

Poppi Enthusiast

Another idea-my daughter gets sooooo sick of cakes (bc I have a cake business out of my home and they eat all the shavings :P ), she prefers to have an ice cream sundae 'bar' at her parties for dessert. We buy 2 different ice cream flavors and then set out bowls of all kinds of gluten-free toppings for the kids to make their own sundaes. It's always a hit!

We do that a lot too.

vanilla and chocolate ice cream

mini marshmallows

chocolate sauce

caramel sauce

strawberry sauce

chocolate chips

whipped cream in a can

smashed up gluten-free cookies

Gummy worms

We have to avoid food colour too so it makes kid parties tricky but we always have great food and great fun.

catsmeow Contributor

I am sooo going to do an ice cream bar! That idea just solved my other problem.....cake! I'm loving these ideas!!! Thank you!

Poppi Enthusiast

I am sooo going to do an ice cream bar! That idea just solved my other problem.....cake! I'm loving these ideas!!! Thank you!

If you really want a cake you can do a DQ cake. We get them to replace the fudge/cookie filling with cold fudge and then write the message in cold fudge as well (food colouring allergy) and we decorate it ourselves. We get ice cream cakes, sundaes and blizzards from DQ all the time and I have never been glutened there. I know every location has different staff but ours have been amazing about allergies.

catsmeow Contributor

If you really want a cake you can do a DQ cake. We get them to replace the fudge/cookie filling with cold fudge and then write the message in cold fudge as well (food colouring allergy) and we decorate it ourselves. We get ice cream cakes, sundaes and blizzards from DQ all the time and I have never been glutened there. I know every location has different staff but ours have been amazing about allergies.

Yes, I love the DQ ice cream cake idea. In fact, I even called my local DQ and confirmed they could do it, then I read your Sundae bar idea and decided to do that instead. It sounds like fun, messy, but gluten-free messy fun!!! :P

Thanks for the ideas!

Last weekend was the last time I let a pile of kids in and let them gluten up my house. I'm sick of being sick till Wednesday after the brat pack leaves (I love the brat pack, but they are gluten-free clueless). I've decided that they eat gluten-free at my house from now on, I'm done, stick a fork in me! Which includes the party. No more gluten in my house, it's killing me. :blink:

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I'm surprised that some people on the thread were suggesting you serve gluten at the party. Somebody said something about "extending the courtesy" to give them food they can eat. There is no way I would let a large group of people contaminate my house. It could take weeks to get all that gluten out of your house. Gluten does cross my doorstep. I entertain quite a bit and I have never had a complaint about the food. Why do people NEED gluten at a party? That's just weird to me.

I'm also shocked that people talked about guests having expectations? What expectations? Anybody who comes to my house and complains after I feed and entertain them is not welcome back. I don't have toxic people like that in my life.

Mexican food is easy to go gluten free. Big pot of homemade refried beans. Spanish rice. Make your own tacos or a taco salad. Costco has gluten free taquitos and those are a big hit. I bake big trays of them. Kids love them.

Pasta is easy to do too. I did baked penne with provologne on top for my son's birthday party and everyone loved it. I used Tinkyada brown rice pasta. It got all eaten up.

I tried a couple of gluten free bakeries and they were overpriced and tasted bad so I make my own cakes now. You can buy a sheet pan pretty cheap. I use Betty Crocker mixes and make homemade buttercream for the top and I usually put a chocolate frosting in the middle. I've gotten crazy and made a princess castle cake and this last one was a Lego cake with marshmallow fondant but it takes hours and hours because I am winging it.

A sheet cake is very easy though. The cake freaks me out the most. A regular gluten cake would leave crumbs everywhere. I think it would be cruel to serve gluten at a child's own party. Then you are putting them at risk of getting sick at their own party! My house is a safe zone for my son and me and nobody glutens my house. If they don't like it, they aren't my friends. Period.

Archived