Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

My Dad Falls Asleep After Eating Wheat

13 posts in this topic

Hi, I am aware that I am gluten intolerant or latent celiac now (not IBS C as I was diagnosed)as going on a gluten free diet has made me feel much better.

My Dad, he eats wheat and falls asleep after, about 30 mins to an hour after, he has IBS type symptoms that alternate from the runs to constipation.

I just wondered if anyone else used to fall asleep after eating wheat and if it is a sign of gluten intolerance/latent celiac/celiac.

Ads by Google:

My son always fell asleep after eating pizza. Or in the afternoons at school after eating his sandwich. Never figured out why until he was 16. He no longer falls asleep except at bedtime. Gluten can act exactly like an opiate...and put you out. I fell asleep after eating too later in my undiagnosed state. They said it was depression or fibromyalgia...it wasn't. 7 months gluten free, I no longer fall asleep unless it is bedtime. Many people describe that symptom on here if you just search around there will be literally dozens. Gluten effects the Central Nervous System...I think the sleeping is a neurological symptom. And he has digestive problems too? That is 2 of the 3 categories of Celiac. Gastrointestinal and Neurological....hmmm. Would he try gluten free? Or agree to be tested?

This was one of the signs in me that was missed many many years ago. When I was still at school I'd get home at the end of the day and have 3 or 4 slices of toast. Within 20 mins I'd be out for the count and unrousable. It got so bad that we went to the docs about it. The doctor at the time said it was some form of carb crash, given that it was just a small amount, I can't see it as anything but a precursor to the celiac disease that I got some 23 years later.

This was one of the signs in me that was missed many many years ago. When I was still at school I'd get home at the end of the day and have 3 or 4 slices of toast. Within 20 mins I'd be out for the count and unrousable. It got so bad that we went to the docs about it. The doctor at the time said it was some form of carb crash, given that it was just a small amount, I can't see it as anything but a precursor to the celiac disease that I got some 23 years later.

I can definitely relate. I would get home after school and make my favorite snack. Mayo sandwiches, There would be times I would eat half a loaf. It was ssooooo good. Could be why I weighed 200 lbs at 14 too. But yes, after my snack I would try to do my homework and fall asleep in the middle of it.

I can completely relate. I had never made the connection but when I was young my mom brought me to many doctors to figure out why I was so exhausted all the time and no one had an answer. The worst would be after eating a bowl of cereal I would get in the car to do my commute and within minutes I was slapping my face to keep my eyes open. I would have to pull over because it was that bad. Trying to get through the school day was a task because the tiredness and brain fog kept me from retaining anything the professor said. That is how I know I've eaten gluten...I litteraly can't stay awake. I am so blessed to have energy and clear thinking again! :D Hoping your dad gives it a shot!

Gluten makes me feel extremely tired. It hits me like a Mack Truck. It sometimes take all I have just to make it over to the couch and collapse. My mom has told me that she can't eat lunch at work or she'll fall asleep. I've been wondering if it could be gluten related for her as well.

I also used to get very, very tired after eating certain meals. Turned out they were all filled with gluten.

Also got tired (and hungry) after passing stool.

When I was younger, I would take naps during the afternoon. Can you imagine a 14 year old that requires naps like an 80 year old? Pretty weird when I look back at it now.

Bellysbetter and misskriss...you guys should defiatly have you parents checked out!!

Wow!! I didn't know this was part of it too! I allways used to fall asleep all the time in class...and while doing homework...and after meals....you name it...I was/ am allways tired (just started no gluten/casien diet).I was raised on a heavey gluten diet....and just now find out I'm intolerent!!!! :blink: At least theres a light at the end on this tunnel ! LOL :D at least it's NOT MS!!! :lol:

I'm having MY dad checked out!!! but not for those reasons...He's comlpained for years about SUGAR giving him trouble...and seosoning...and sauses...!!! You know...Headaches..stomache aches..diarea/contapation...muscle aches...muscle tics...you regognise the symptoms! LOL

Gee dad..I noticed all this sugar (that he sneeks out to eat because my mom won't let him eat it at home,because SHE is tired of him being sick) just HAPPENS to involve COOKIES..PIE..CAKE..PASTA...ect. LOL :rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes: At least after seeing and hearing what I've been through..and seeing the simalarities...he's desided to go get tested after all! :D After all it tends to Run in the family...or so I've been told!!! :lol:

A genetic trait triggered by high stress or pregnancy for those diagnosed late twenties on. I pass out almost immediately after an episode of gluten & my mom who still eats wheat on purpose sleeps for 12 hours. She can't grasp that its poison for her. After 50 their minds are harder to adapt. Hope your dad gets better.

A genetic trait triggered by high stress or pregnancy for those diagnosed late twenties on. I pass out almost immediately after an episode of gluten & my mom who still eats wheat on purpose sleeps for 12 hours. She can't grasp that its poison for her. After 50 their minds are harder to adapt. Hope your dad gets better.

I here ya....it's all most impossible to get OLD dogs to try NEW tricks....you know what they say...."tricks are for kids!!!! "...LOL sorry..couldn't help myself! :rolleyes::D Yeah , I was suprised he decided to get tested....(hasn't done it yet) but he did ask his doctor about it. its a start!!! :D

Hi, I am aware that I am gluten intolerant or latent celiac now (not IBS C as I was diagnosed)as going on a gluten free diet has made me feel much better.

My Dad, he eats wheat and falls asleep after, about 30 mins to an hour after, he has IBS type symptoms that alternate from the runs to constipation.

I just wondered if anyone else used to fall asleep after eating wheat and if it is a sign of gluten intolerance/latent celiac/celiac.

One of may main issues. I had a whole question sheet that I had to fill out and this is one of the questions.

I also used to get very, very tired after eating certain meals. Turned out they were all filled with gluten.

Also got tired (and hungry) after passing stool.

When I was younger, I would take naps during the afternoon. Can you imagine a 14 year old that requires naps like an 80 year old? Pretty weird when I look back at it now.

This I can not only imagine I grew up doing it! I would come home from school, have a snack, a nap, watch tv eat supper and then go to bed at 8:00 or 9:00pm.

I was diagnosed with Celiac in 2005. Even now when I am glutened I sleep for days.