This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dealing With My Son Working In A Restaurant

Loey

Loey Rising Star

I "think" I solved my problem of getting cross contaminated by my son's clothes from work (he's a dishwasher at a big restaurant chain). I'm going to dry clean them using the Dryel System. An other suggestions?

Thanks,

Loey

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

domesticactivist Collaborator

Does dry cleaning actually remove gluten? I don't think I'd trust it. If your son is a big enough to work at a restaurant, he should be able to wash his own clothes. Is it a problem if he uses the same machine that you wash your clothes in? Maybe he could take them to a laundromat in that case.

mushroom Proficient

And momma irons them, maybe?? Better to take them to a real cleaners and not handle them at all.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Drycleaning isn't going to get restaurant dirty clothes clean let alone get any gluten off them and the home 'drycleaning' methods are just going to spread flour reside all over the inside of your dryer.

Either have him wash those himself, or at least get him to put them in the washer, and once they have gone through the washer they should be fine.

You could also use a laundrymat that has a service that will wash and fold those clothes for you if your budget permits.

As someone else mentioned if your son is old enough to work he is old enough to learn how to do his own laundry. He may balk a bit if he is used to having you do them for him but it is something he should learn to do before he moves into his own home.

kareng Grand Master

. If your son is a big enough to work at a restaurant, he should be able to wash his own clothes.

Either have him wash those himself, or at least get him to put them in the washer, and once they have gone through the washer they should be fine.

As someone else mentioned if your son is old enough to work he is old enough to learn how to do his own laundry. He may balk a bit if he is used to having you do them for him but it is something he should learn to do before he moves into his own home.

Heard that anywhere before Lo? ;)

Tell Tony we said to shake his clothes off before he gets in the car. As soon as he get in the house, do not get a gatorade, do not grab a cookie, do not check the ball game on TV, go straight to the shower. Take the clothes off inside out. Leave on the bathroom floor. Brief shower to get the crumbs out of the hair. Put clothes in the wash machine. Good boy!

You could have him strip in garage if that works better. (Close the door first)

sa1937 Community Regular

I agree, Loey! It's time for Tony to learn to wash his own clothes. You've been sick enough that you don't need to have that added risk.

My son started doing his own laundry when he was 15. Not because of gluten, which I wasn't even that familiar with back then. Contrary to popular belief, my dryer did not eat socks...and I couldn't help that his favorite shirt wasn't ready to wear when he wanted it. In the meantime, my daughter-in-law has worked wonders with him. :D

ETA: So glad he got that summer job...they are hard to come by!!!

Poppi Enthusiast

My kids start helping with their laundry when they are old enough to throw clothes in the machine, my 2 year old can do that. My 5 year old can put the soap in and is learning which knobs do what. My 15 year old son has been 100% responsible for his own laundry since he was 10.

Your son definitely needs to be taking care of his own clothes whether that's at home or at a laundromat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Loey Rising Star

Heard that anywhere before Lo? ;)

Tell Tony we said to shake his clothes off before he gets in the car. As soon as he get in the house, do not get a gatorade, do not grab a cookie, do not check the ball game on TV, go straight to the shower. Take the clothes off inside out. Leave on the bathroom floor. Brief shower to get the crumbs out of the hair. Put clothes in the wash machine. Good boy!

You could have him strip in garage if that works better. (Close the door first)

Hi dear Karen (and everyone else that has given me a kind and useful reply). He's been doing laundry but I generally wash on cold since we've been totally gluten free and I'm trying to save money on our gas bill. I will have him brush his clothes off and then turn them inside out and put them in washer. I guess my health for two months is worth a high gas bill. Clark is employed until August and I have a few more weeks left to unemployment. Then it's no $ coming in for me until disability goes through.

Karen, he's a changed lad this summer. Last night he baked me gluten-free brownies (they are delicious). Of course he used a cookie tray because he wanted to surprise me and didn't want to go through all the cabinets and mess my things up looking for an 8X8 pan. So, half of them taste like brownies and the other half taste like chocolate cookies. Baking became a favorite activity this year (of course it involved a girl).

I don't know what I'd do without all of you (and don't plan on finding out!!!!!!).

Love,

Loey wub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

Loey Rising Star

P.S. they only gave him one pair of slacks and chef's hat (he has two shirts) so it's going to have to be washed daily. He really has been a big help this summer and when I was doing everything for him it was me indulging him. I don't think he expected it. (I think she doeth protest too much tongue.gif)

Loey

Archived