This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What's The Deal With Soy?

anna34

sb2178 Enthusiast

Oh darn. I think I just lost a post. Basically, soy is evil IF you react to it. I don't. I react more to peanuts and dairy. Try some organic, non-GMO and traditionally prepared soy in a small amount and see if you react. If not, you're fine. Eat the good quality stuff instead of industrially prepared nonsense like weird fake meat.

If you react, avoid it. (Good luck.)

Just about any plant or animal can do you damage if you eat too much of it. Moderation and variety, folks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cahill Collaborator

Schar sells some soy free crackers

Open Original Shared Link

Ingredients:

potato starch, rice flour, buckwheat flour, eggs, palm oil, modified corn starch, dextrose, salt, yeast, hydroxypropyl methycellulose, sunflower lecithin, cream of tartar, ammonium bicarbonate, natural flavor.

*Contains Eggs

Made in Italy

I can NOT do the potato starch and eggs :(

the only cracker I have found that I can even risk is ::

Hot-kid rice crisps, gluten free, natural.

ingredients; rice, corn oil ,sea salt.

Product of China

**warning may contain traces of dairy, soy, sesame ,nuts **

The risk of CC is there but I have found as long as I eat them in limited amounts I am ok.And I am hyper sensitive to soy .

Sometimes you just GOTTA have a cracker ;)

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Schar sells some soy free crackers

Open Original Shared Link

Ingredients:

potato starch, rice flour, buckwheat flour, eggs, palm oil, modified corn starch, dextrose, salt, yeast, hydroxypropyl methycellulose, sunflower lecithin, cream of tartar, ammonium bicarbonate, natural flavor.

*Contains Eggs

Made in Italy

Thank you! One of my stores carries Schar hamburger buns so I bet they could get the crackers if I asked.

love2travel Mentor

Thank you! One of my stores carries Schar hamburger buns so I bet they could get the crackers if I asked.

Are the buns better than the bread? I tried the bread while in Croatia and it was one of the creepiest gluten-free things I've ever had. It was like a crumbly sponge interlaced with old burlap. Very weird. :o

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Are the buns better than the bread? I tried the bread while in Croatia and it was one of the creepiest gluten-free things I've ever had. It was like a crumbly sponge interlaced with old burlap. Very weird. :o

They are somewhat dry but not that bad. They are the only gluten-free buns I have ever seen in my stores however. I see them as a step up from using either gluten-free bread (which my ketchup and pickles soak through and don't really work) or using rice cakes. I keep hoping to find the new Udi's buns but I have not seen them yet. Actually, I prefer to just eat my burger patties with two wedges of lettuce but it's messy that way. My husband wants buns so I usually get the gluten-free buns for him.

sa1937 Community Regular

OMG! No wonder I keep trying new bread recipes!!! :lol: We can do better (not that I've ever tasted old burlap). lol

love2travel Mentor

They are somewhat dry but not that bad. They are the only gluten-free buns I have ever seen in my stores however. I see them as a step up from using either gluten-free bread (which my ketchup and pickles soak through and don't really work) or using rice cakes. I keep hoping to find the new Udi's buns but I have not seen them yet. Actually, I prefer to just eat my burger patties with two wedges of lettuce but it's messy that way. My husband wants buns so I usually get the gluten-free buns for him.

Our store that stocks gluten-free stuff has 20% everything in the store the first Tuesday of each month so I've been waiting until this Tuesday. It helps to whittle a bill down from $200 to $160! I know they just got in Udi's hamburger buns and hotdog buns so I am going to try them. Homemade are pretty good but it's so weird having to make buns in muffin tins. I used to LOVE the act of making buns and watching them rise.

If Udi's buns are as good as the bread I will be pleased. I don't exactly love the bread but it is by far the best I have found (other than homemade).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

Our store that stocks gluten-free stuff has 20% everything in the store the first Tuesday of each month so I've been waiting until this Tuesday. It helps to whittle a bill down from $200 to $160! I know they just got in Udi's hamburger buns and hotdog buns so I am going to try them. Homemade are pretty good but it's so weird having to make buns in muffin tins. I used to LOVE the act of making buns and watching them rise.

If Udi's buns are as good as the bread I will be pleased. I don't exactly love the bread but it is by far the best I have found (other than homemade).

I haven't seen the Udi's buns around here yet but will no doubt try them. I have made my own. I used a spring-loaded ice cream scoop to measure them and plop them into a muffin-top pan. (I did shape them slightly). Worked great using Annalise Roberts' recipe. I think you have that book, too, so for batter of that consistency, it works.

IrishHeart Veteran

I haven't seen the Udi's buns around here yet but will no doubt try them. I have made my own. I used a spring-loaded ice cream scoop to measure them and plop them into a muffin-top pan. (I did shape them slightly). Worked great using Annalise Roberts' recipe. I think you have that book, too, so for batter of that consistency, it works.

We tried those buns from her recipe, too, Sylvia---they were great! They got stale pretty fast, as I recall. We used these baking rings we bought on amazon. Pretty cool. (I still have not replaced my old muffin tins as yet)

sa1937 Community Regular

We tried those buns from her recipe, too, Sylvia---they were great! They got stale pretty fast, as I recall. We used these baking rings we bought on amazon. Pretty cool. (I still have not replaced my old muffin tins as yet)

I brought one with me to my son's on Memorial Day. It had been in my freezer (wrapped well) and it definitely was not as good as on day one, so yes, I thought it was dry. But that's true for so many gluten-free things.

You mean you got English muffin rings? I bought some last fall...but haven't used them yet. :o

Another thing you can use for buns are the small disposable aluminum pie tins (a Mennonite-type store near here has them for 10 cents each.)

IrishHeart Veteran

I brought one with me to my son's on Memorial Day. It had been in my freezer (wrapped well) and it definitely was not as good as on day one, so yes, I thought it was dry. But that's true for so many gluten-free things.

You mean you got English muffin rings? I bought some last fall...but haven't used them yet. :o

Another thing you can use for buns are the small disposable aluminum pie tins (a Mennonite-type store near here has them for 10 cents each.)

yes! English muffin rings!

sa1937 Community Regular

yes! English muffin rings!

Have you made English muffins yet?

mushroom Proficient

Have you made English muffins yet?

Logical question :P

IrishHeart Veteran

Logical question :P

and yet, illogically...no, we have not! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

still working on that perfect loaf of bread...HA! never gonna happen... :rolleyes:

sa1937 Community Regular

still working on that perfect loaf of bread...HA! never gonna happen... :rolleyes:

It gives us something creative to do in our spare time! :lol: :lol: :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

It gives us something creative to do in our spare time! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks to you and Peter for clearing up the soybean oil thing for me...I had no idea they could "get around" the labeling law that way! :unsure: I think I am still irritated about that!! :lol:

I saw that UDI's came out with burger and hot dog buns, too...but cannot find them. If you do find them (online somewhere), will you give us a heads up please?

and P.S. ..BEAUTIFUL pic , miss Manna!!! ;)

Archived