This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg What Did I Do ...i Took A Chance Ugh

tammykinz

tammykinz Rookie

gluten free for one week and I felt great. BUT today I felt so good that I took my daughter to swiss chalet. I thought, maybe I will try something with gluten in it and see how I do. Well I just pigged out today seriously bad. I ordered a 1/4 chicken with ribs and it came with a huge pile of french fries, coleslaw and a bun on my plate. I didn't eat the bun but I ate 4 ribs, some of my chicken and most of the fries. I ate the little coleslaw and then skipped the bun. I drank lemonade also. Afterwards I felt pretty stuffed but my daughter and I wanted something sweet. So as we were walking back to the car we stopped at Starbucks and she got a drink there and I got a fudge oat square (definitly had gluten in it) But I thought what the heck I will just see what happens.... So ate that .....stupid me...I could have just waited and got a sweet gluten free goody later. We were just having such a good time and just dumb decisions...

I don't know if it was just the huge meal, the high fat or the gluten in the food but half hour later I was shopping and I had to go to the bathroom. there I had a very large loose BM. Then we went home and I had more loose BM.

So was it the large meal that triggered it, the fat, or the gluten ? or just a big combo of it all? Do you get sick that fast after eating gluten.

I really don't know if I am gluten sensitive or not. But eating gluten free for a week has made me feel almost 100% better. But during that week I also increased my water intake and eating more fruits so not sure if it was that or just cutting out the gluten.

Anyways I have diarrhea .......boooo me !!!! can't eat like that anymore. UGH

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ElseB Contributor

Likely the fries. If you google 'swiss chalet allergy guide' you can see what is and isn't safe. The fries are not safe. The guide says: All fried products may contain one or all of the allergens in this table as the fryer oil can be a source of cross-contamination of allergens

kareng Grand Master

Why are you gluten free? Diagnosed or just experimenting? I think you found your answer.

There were so many things wrong with that meal & dessert from a gluten free perspective (not just the fries). Never eat anything that has touched gluteny bread. Not sure how the chicken or ribs were cooked but lots of places put soy sauce (usually contains wheat) in the marinade or BBQ sauce. Of course the dessert bar was made with wheat flour.

The safest thing you had was the lemonade.

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

Remember even one crumb of gluten can cause a reaction. So it could easily have started with the bun you didn't eat. Kareng is 100% right, none of that food was safe for someone with gluten problems.

psawyer Proficient

Likely the fries. If you google 'swiss chalet allergy guide' you can see what is and isn't safe. The fries are not safe. The guide says: All fried products may contain one or all of the allergens in this table as the fryer oil can be a source of cross-contamination of allergens

It says that because it is true at some locations. Most full-sized Swiss Chalet locations with table service have dedicated fryers for the fries. But the locations where Harvey's shares the facility usually share the fryers.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

It's the gluten.

You will probably get the same reaction every time you test it.

It is hard to believe, but it is true that traces of gluten can cause the same reaction as eating a whole gluten dessert.

I feel for you and hope you feel better when it is out of your system.

You should go back to gluten free.

That was a perfect "gluten challenge" though!

Archived