This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What's For Breakfast Today?

GlutenFreeManna

busymomof5 Newbie

I had a bowl of Chex. Unimpressive, I know, but it's easy, cheap, and tastes great! (Which, for me personally, I can't say about most other gluten-free breakfast food.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
catsmeow Contributor

bowl of soup and coffee

bartfull Rising Star

Hi, brand new member here! (First post.) I had some Dannon plain yogurt with some fruit mixed in (strawberries) and two soft boiled eggs.

I have just been diagnosed and started my diet yesterday. I have gotten so much info from this site, and first, I want to thank all of you!

I went to the healthfood store yesterday and bought some Canyon Bakehouse gluten free 7 grain bread. It is delicious, but also very expensive, so even though I'm not much of a cook, I'm going to copy some of the recipes here and learn to make my own breads.

I wanted to mention to you folks who eat grits, if you can eat eggs, mix a soft cooked egg with your grits and they are very tasty.

I'd also like to ask if there is a brand of bacon I can buy in the grocery store that is gluten free. Thanks.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Hi, brand new member here! (First post.) I had some Dannon plain yogurt with some fruit mixed in (strawberries) and two soft boiled eggs.

I have just been diagnosed and started my diet yesterday. I have gotten so much info from this site, and first, I want to thank all of you!

I went to the healthfood store yesterday and bought some Canyon Bakehouse gluten free 7 grain bread. It is delicious, but also very expensive, so even though I'm not much of a cook, I'm going to copy some of the recipes here and learn to make my own breads.

I wanted to mention to you folks who eat grits, if you can eat eggs, mix a soft cooked egg with your grits and they are very tasty.

I'd also like to ask if there is a brand of bacon I can buy in the grocery store that is gluten free. Thanks.

Welcome! If you are in the US pretty much all bacon is gluten free. Well I guess I should qualify that by saying I have never seen a bacon that contains gluten. Just read the ingredients and you should be fine. I eat turkey bacon myself due to a pork allergy. I like Applegate Farms Organic: Open Original Shared Link

bartfull Rising Star

Thanks, GFManna! I've been checking out some other gluten free foods. Yesterday I saw a salad dressing in the store that had sun dried tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, and paprika. I didn't buy it because it didn't say what kind of vinegar. This morning on another Celiac site I saw that there is a law in the US that if the label just says vinegar, it must be apple cider vinnegar. Then I checked out paprika here, and it seems that if you are buying paprika in a container, you can get McCormicks and it'll be OK, but this salad dressing didn't mention the brand they use. Guess I won't take any chances.

I'll cruise around the site and learn more, but, offhand, does anyone know of a grocery store salad dressing that is OK? One of my problems is that I live in the middle of nowhere. We have a tiny grocery store that doesn't have much in it. The nearest "big" city is still only 60,000 people, and it's 60 miles away. I checked for Gluten Free Bisquick, and I would have to drive 400 MILES to get it! :(

kareng Grand Master

Thanks, GFManna! I've been checking out some other gluten free foods. Yesterday I saw a salad dressing in the store that had sun dried tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, and paprika. I didn't buy it because it didn't say what kind of vinegar. This morning on another Celiac site I saw that there is a law in the US that if the label just says vinegar, it must be apple cider vinnegar. Then I checked out paprika here, and it seems that if you are buying paprika in a container, you can get McCormicks and it'll be OK, but this salad dressing didn't mention the brand they use. Guess I won't take any chances.

I'll cruise around the site and learn more, but, offhand, does anyone know of a grocery store salad dressing that is OK? One of my problems is that I live in the middle of nowhere. We have a tiny grocery store that doesn't have much in it. The nearest "big" city is still only 60,000 people, and it's 60 miles away. I checked for Gluten Free Bisquick, and I would have to drive 400 MILES to get it! :(

Most salad dressing are fine. Kraft is a company that will clearly label wheat, rye or barley in any product. That makes it a bit easier.

Most salad dressing are fine. Kraft is a company that will clearly label wheat, rye or barley in any product. That makes it a bit easier.

As Kareng said most salad dressings are fine. In the US and Canada wheat has to be labeled. So the only gluteny thing that *could* be hiding is barely (AKA malt) or rye. I've never seen rye used in dressings. Barely could potentially hide in "natural flavorings" but it's very rare that it would be used there and malt vinegar will be disclosed. That dressing you were looking at was probably fine if those were the only ingredients. Wish Bone labels some of their dressing gluten-free and so does Kraft. I make my own dressings with olive oil and vinegar, but there are many that are gluten-free if gluten is your only restriction.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

busymomof5 Newbie

Kens, Kraft, and Wishbone have several gluten free dressings. Off the top of my head I know that Wishbone Ranch dressing is actually labeled gluten free. Also you can order MANY gluten free items on (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned). I know you can get the Gluten Free Bisquick there. Hope that helps a little.

Korwyn Explorer

Bacon. About a half a pound (cooked weight).

bartfull Rising Star

Thanks so much for the info! I've been feeling a bit scared, confused, and alone. I think I mentioned, I live in the middle of nowhere and there aren't a lot of resources here. I keep finding that I can't get some products that sound so good, like the gluten free Bisquick, or the Eagle Mills gluten free flour. I know I could probabaly order some things online, but I don't even have a credit card so that's out, unless I get a friend to order for me.

I'm on day two of the diet and I am hungry, even though I've eaten quite a lot today. Stomach is growling like crazy. I read here that that is common. Guess I'll get over it in time.

It is a relief to have found this place. In my tiny town, I think I'm the only person who ever even heard of Celiac, and it is so good to have a place to come talk to knowledgable people about it. Again, THANKS!

Jestgar Rising Star

Big chunk o' chicken breast ripped off a Costco chicken.

love2travel Mentor

Scrambled eggs with chives and chevre; bacon. It sounds like it would go well with coffee but I DETEST coffee so I just had milk instead (although I love the smell of brewing coffee).

bartfull Rising Star

Scrambled eggs with chives and chevre; bacon. It sounds like it would go well with coffee but I DETEST coffee so I just had milk instead (although I love the smell of brewing coffee).

I always loved the smell but hated the taste when I'd try a sip of Mom's coffee. She used milk and sugar. Then one day I tried it black and it tasted just like it smells. People think it will be bitter without the milk and sugar, but if it's fresh, it is no more bitter than a glass of water. A doctor also told me that the lactic acid in the milk or cream reacts with something in the coffee to make a stronger acid, so it's bad for your stomach. (That was back when they thought I might have an ulcer.)

love2travel Mentor

I always loved the smell but hated the taste when I'd try a sip of Mom's coffee. She used milk and sugar. Then one day I tried it black and it tasted just like it smells. People think it will be bitter without the milk and sugar, but if it's fresh, it is no more bitter than a glass of water. A doctor also told me that the lactic acid in the milk or cream reacts with something in the coffee to make a stronger acid, so it's bad for your stomach. (That was back when they thought I might have an ulcer.)

Alas - I have had it black - every which way but still do not like it! There are very few things I do not like. My palage is extremely adventurous. Just not coffee for some reason. Have tried many yummy deviations in Italy and just do not enjoy the coffee flavour in anything - even traditional tiramisu.

Marilyn R Community Regular

Sauted sliced ham, American Fries and Coffee. BF had juice. BF also cooked. :)

sb2178 Enthusiast

Beware of soy sauce in salad dressings! It's pretty common, but on the label. It's also found in a lot of food service salad dressings.

GFreeMO Proficient

Today I just had coffee. Bad, I know. I can't get motivated in the morning. Tomorrow I am going to make myself eat. I'm going to have cream of rice with maple syrup and cantaloupe.

Today I just had coffee. Bad, I know. I can't get motivated in the morning. Tomorrow I am going to make myself eat. I'm going to have cream of rice with maple syrup and cantaloupe.

I skipped breakfast today too. I just don't feel like eating when it's hot outside. I'll try to do better tommorrow.

Marilyn R Community Regular

I skipped breakfast today too. I just don't feel like eating when it's hot outside. I'll try to do better tommorrow.

A banana and a handful of safe roasted nuts(mix of pistachio, almonds and cashews). 2 cups of black coffee.

I know I should eat better breakfasts, but it's hard to get motivated enough to shower, do my hair, apply make up and show up for work. I probably need to get my blood checked again. I went off my multivitamin because they made me sick (4th time with a new mult-v that wasn't cheap.) And I read all the ingredients. Oops, sorry, I'll stop my ranting and whining.

Jestgar Rising Star

white fish and a pile of frozen veggies, sauteed together. Sprinkled with lemon.

Juliebove Rising Star

I had some leftover plain white rice and a little cottage cheese.

Woke up early with heartburn. Where did THAT come from? All I had last night was salad and a turkey sandwich on Rudi's. So my breakfast is a handful of Pamela's ginger snaps and some pepto bismol.

cahill Collaborator

this morning is a cup of black tea,sausage pattys and maybe a enjoy life bar.

cahill Collaborator

Bacon. About a half a pound (cooked weight).

:D

I have done this on occasion,quite enjoyable I must say

Jestgar Rising Star

leftover spaghetti :)

Archived