6 replies to this topic

#1 celiacSuzie

celiacSuzie

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:42 PM

After DX: GI/potnetial Celiac - I went for quite some time being depressed - about food.
Meals were a hassle, popcorn became a staple for dinner b/c I was too tired/depressed/ignorant what I could/n't have.
Now, a little over 6 months into being gluten-free, I'm finally starting to tackle baking.

I'm near tears at this point, having been looking at recipes - with a cabinet full of gluten-free baking supplies - because it's really easy. I'm using an all purpose pre-mixed (guaranteed) gluten-free flour - and the few things I've missed (cornbread, scones, toast mostly) are so easy to make, cheaper to make at home.

It's silly really, to think that I'm this emotional about having bread dipped in olive oil & fresh herbs or a slice of cornbread and a meal to accompany it that takes me back to my childhood. But it's amazing how much gluten-free stuff there is now, and how easy it really is to make.

Baking and prep'ing on weekends - something I've not done in some time - is now back on the list. And it's relatively cost effective.

Thanks for reading.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

After DX: GI/potnetial Celiac - I went for quite some time being depressed - about food.
Meals were a hassle, popcorn became a staple for dinner b/c I was too tired/depressed/ignorant what I could/n't have.
Now, a little over 6 months into being gluten-free, I'm finally starting to tackle baking.

I'm near tears at this point, having been looking at recipes - with a cabinet full of gluten-free baking supplies - because it's really easy. I'm using an all purpose pre-mixed (guaranteed) gluten-free flour - and the few things I've missed (cornbread, scones, toast mostly) are so easy to make, cheaper to make at home.

It's silly really, to think that I'm this emotional about having bread dipped in olive oil & fresh herbs or a slice of cornbread and a meal to accompany it that takes me back to my childhood. But it's amazing how much gluten-free stuff there is now, and how easy it really is to make.

Baking and prep'ing on weekends - something I've not done in some time - is now back on the list. And it's relatively cost effective.

Thanks for reading.

The connection with food and family totally makes sense. It is amazing how a bite of something can bring back great memories! Food brings people together.

Good for you for baking! gluten-free cornbread is as delicious as gluten cornbread. Same with many types of cookies (i.e. chocolate chip). And cakes. The things that are a bit trickier are recipes involving yeast because they just don't taste like the "real" thing. But it sure beats purchased stuff, not to mention fun experimenting and learning. :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3 Judy3

Judy3

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:24 AM

The connection with food and family totally makes sense. It is amazing how a bite of something can bring back great memories! Food brings people together.

Good for you for baking! gluten-free cornbread is as delicious as gluten cornbread. Same with many types of cookies (i.e. chocolate chip). And cakes. The things that are a bit trickier are recipes involving yeast because they just don't taste like the "real" thing. But it sure beats purchased stuff, not to mention fun experimenting and learning. :)

I whole heartedly agree!! I can make fantastic bakery now after experimenting cookies, bars, cakes, muffins... but the bread is still a mystery... maybe I'm just miss picky pants!! LOL

Welcome to the bakers corner!!
*Judy

Food allergies to fish, seafood, tree nuts, aspartame(Equal),flax seed, and many drugs
Stomach issues since childhood
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) age 6-44
Diabetes age 44 to present now going back to Hypoglycemia since gluten free.
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2005 and it's gone now that I'm aspartame and gluten free. Hmmm
Celiac disease- negative test in 2009, positive tests in Nov. 2010
Gluten free started 11/08/2010
Genetic tests positive- DQ2, positive -DQ6 (?) negative- DQ8 11/15/2010

#4 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:44 AM

I whole heartedly agree!! I can make fantastic bakery now after experimenting cookies, bars, cakes, muffins... but the bread is still a mystery... maybe I'm just miss picky pants!! LOL

Sometimes I wonder if bread will always be a mystery! :lol:
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:15 AM

I felt the same way. The chronic pain/illness/lack of appetite curtailed my cooking/baking for sure. I used to enjoy all kinds of creative cooking/baking before I got sick.

We started making our own bread when I was DXed--Poor Hubby worked hard to perfect that loaf....while it is "okay", it will never be "squishy" :unsure: Perhaps it WILL forever be a mystery!! :lol:

But all the other baked goods turn out pretty darn good! And now that I feel better, I am able to cook with more variety once more. To be unable to play in my kitchen was really hard for me because I was always experimenting with food flavors/textures and having 8-course tasting parties and I thought I would have to sacrifice that passion. Maybe not--we'll see.

Glad you are feeling like baking once more! ENJOY!!!!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:00 AM

You can call me Miss Picky Pants II!! :lol: My expectations are sooooo high and I still remember the delicious yeasty smells and tastes. Nor am I likely to ever forget. Not when you love food as much as I do.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#7 celiacSuzie

celiacSuzie

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:37 AM

I always preferred crusty bread anyway... great for dipping in olive oil. Yum!
I bought a loaf of Udi's I think it was - as it was most recommended - and found I didn't mind it, as I missed toast. It reminded me of Irish Soda Bread, with it's density. So, I didn't really mind that.
But, I'll probly not have a sandwich - unless it's corn-tortilla or lettuce wraps.

I'm getting started on my baking efforts this wkend... I'll share my results.

Thanks btw for all the responses... it's really not the end of the world, it's a new start and a better, healthier life! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: