#16 cdford

cdford

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 11:35 PM

Sundance:

Our asthma and sinus problems went haywire the first month we were gluten-free, then they stabilized slowly. They are also some of the first symptoms if we get glutened. I think it is just that this is our bodies' way of trying to deal with the immune system reaction.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 printmaker81

printmaker81

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 07:41 AM

When I first went gluten-free, I felt good for about a week, then got violently ill. I had low grade nausea and slight dizzyness before my Dx, after that week, I could barely get out of bed without falling on my face and was vomiting some. I had problems with congestion and got a bought of bronchitis that landed me in the hospital. I definitely think all of this was that withdrawal. It has been about three months now, and my withdrawal type symptoms have begun to recede. I also went back and forth between feeling okay and feeling lousy. I think I may be at the point where everything will be getting better from here on out!! Whoo hoo! Just try to keep up the diet as strictly as possible. I think gluten and the gluten-free diet affect everyone differently, so you may just have to wait the problems out until the start to clear up. Hang in there!

Taking probiotics and a liquid vitamin helped me out, maybe they could help you too.

#18 SandyM

SandyM

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 01:50 PM

Good Morning,

I was wondering if anyone has experienced "withdrawal" from gluten, once they started on the gluten-free diet?  I have been gluten-free since mid-June, and am having bouts of light-headedness, brain fogginess, extreme hunger, I’m tired all of the time, and my stomach is still bloated after every time I eat, and I am having problems with gas.  Anyone else have similar symptoms?  Also, if you’ve been through this, how long does it take to feel normal?

Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#19 SandyM

SandyM

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:17 PM

Hi,
This is new to me as well. I have been on the gluten-free diet now for about 2 months. Prior to the antibody test I had wondered if I didnt have Celiacs disease. I had felt better on some days I ate less bread products. Then one day I didnt have any obvious gluten (until that evening) and I felt soooooooo much better. That evening I had just a little and I got really bad then later in the evening. The next day I went on a gluten-free diet and felt BAD and the next was bad but not as tuff as the day before. My sis in law happened to call me one day and she told me you can get worse before you get better! That was my saving Grace Phone call. Prior to that phone call I felt that once again I was on the wrong tract. By the time I got to the Dr (3-4 days after going gluten-free) I had been starting to feel better and I had to go back to the Gluten to get tested. So, with the yo- yo of the diet at the beginning I can relate to what you are saying. I had to go thru some bad times at first!
And some of my symptoms have become way better but I still have some of them. I have my brain back for the most part and that is really nice. I had lots of memory problems and head fog prior to going gluten-free as well.
It sounds like you are starting to do better too! That is a great feeling!
Sandy

#20 thomas3000

thomas3000

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 04:03 AM

Hello,

I've been gluten free for a month now. I still wake up an everything looks dark and gray. I still go do the things I once did, but this dark cloud depression really stinks. I feel foggy all the time..That's my most aggravating symptom. I have given up smoking, drinking, caffeine, and gluten in the past 6 mos. I'm wondering if I self medicated all those years. Since I quit, I wake up in what feels like a very dark place. I am gluten intolerant, and am wondering if that started all this. I want this to lift and by reading some of your posts, sounds like it did for most of you. I pray that going gluten free is my answer. Say some prayers for me guys and gals, I want my life back!!!

#21 huevo_no_bueno

huevo_no_bueno

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:01 PM

Good Morning,

I was wondering if anyone has experienced "withdrawal" from gluten, once they started on the gluten-free diet? I have been gluten-free since mid-June, and am having bouts of light-headedness, brain fogginess, extreme hunger, I’m tired all of the time, and my stomach is still bloated after every time I eat, and I am having problems with gas. Anyone else have similar symptoms? Also, if you’ve been through this, how long does it take to feel normal?

Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

I know this thread is kind of old but I can totally identify with this right now...Ugh
Positive IgA-gluten in 2004
Positive IgG-gluten in 2008
Gluten intolerance
Egg allergy

#22 homemaker

homemaker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:04 AM

I can so relate...I know that this is an old thread but I am going to BUMP it. I feel it is SO important to those who go gluten free to perhaps expect. I had not idea of the power of gluten. I am 55 years old and I am just BLOWN AWAY at both the positive and negative reaction I have had with a simple change in diet. Along with withdrawal, there seems to be a Tsunami of feelings and a vague sense of disorientation, especially in the morning hours. Just knowing the reaction that I have had to gluten's departure from my life, further reinforces my need to be gluten free.
NEVER underestimate the power of gluten...that has been my lesson....it has been SHOCKING to say the least....
I am so ever grateful to have this forum, because both celiac and gluten sensitivities, until very recently have been under the radar and I for one will do everything in my power to be an advocate for both Celiac and Gluten Sensitivity awareness....

Constipation, Gas, Bloating, Abdominal Pain, Ataxia, Brain Fog, Joint Pain Headaches
Bloodwork Negative
Went gluten free 10/02/09
Immediate and Positive intestinal improvement with improvement in headache frequency
Enterolab results 11/23/09 (after one month gluten free)
Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA 10 units
Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 9 units
Fecal Fat 1267 units
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1: 0201
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2: 0202
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,2 (Subtype 2,2)

#23 LizIis

LizIis

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:08 PM

Hi, I'm new to this whole topic. I was having bloating and indigestion very badly and I put my symptoms into a website where it tries to diagnose you by your symptoms, and celiac disease came up. I don't think I necessarily have that, but I decided to give up gluten about 2 weeks ago, and I'm now pretty sure, from the withdrawal symptoms I've had, that I am at least gluten sensitive. I've had sinus drainage, headaches, very severe muscle cramps, aching joints, and especially, a lot of bloating after my evening meal (not my other meals, just the evening one.) I figure that I should stick with it, since my reaction is so strong. And I'm noticing that I don't have food cravings like I did before. So I'm eating less! Maybe because of increased absorption? Is there any way to speed up the process and get the gluten out of my body? It's been there a long time. I'm 62. Thanks for any help I can get!

#24 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:57 AM

I don't know if there's a way to speed it up, but I can tell you what happened to me, see if it helps!

I went off gluten in July, and within days felt horrible. Cramps, aching, headaches...very similar to what you're describing. It all went away, 100%, when I stopped eating - I was feeling so bad I thought I was ill, and just ended up not eating for a day or so because I felt so miserable. When I started adding in food again, I kept food log, and found out that my symptoms completely correlated with foods I was eating.

When I cut out those foods, too? I feel fine. TOTALLY fine. Even things I never would have thought of - no more headache, backache, insomnia, bloating and cramping, congestion...things I'd just taken as a normal part of my life for years now.

Now that I've been off of gluten for a while, I note that when I accidentally get something on the 'bad' list, the reaction isn't as bad as it once was, but it's still there. It might be worth your while to do a food log - where you keep track of every ingredient - and see if you have a similar correlation.

Adding to that - it might help to get off any gluten-free foods (pastas, crackers, gluten-free breads, etc...) if you are using those. One thing I found out was that the foods I react to are ones that are more common additives in gluten-free foods, like potatoes and sugar cane. So I was getting more of these ingredients than normal when I went gluten-free.

Also, when I finally saw my GI doctor (the good one I hunted down after my celiac disease diagnosis), he mentioned that other food allergies and sensitivities are very common for people who have celiac disease, or have food allergies already. Testing me for allergies with a blood test was one of the first things he wanted to do, and it confirmed a lot of what I'd been noticing on my own.

In any case, I don't know if this is your situation, but keeping foods simple for a few weeks and keeping a food log of foods and bodily reactions certainly can't hurt, and it might help. :-) Good luck!

Hi, I'm new to this whole topic. I was having bloating and indigestion very badly and I put my symptoms into a website where it tries to diagnose you by your symptoms, and celiac disease came up. I don't think I necessarily have that, but I decided to give up gluten about 2 weeks ago, and I'm now pretty sure, from the withdrawal symptoms I've had, that I am at least gluten sensitive. I've had sinus drainage, headaches, very severe muscle cramps, aching joints, and especially, a lot of bloating after my evening meal (not my other meals, just the evening one.) I figure that I should stick with it, since my reaction is so strong. And I'm noticing that I don't have food cravings like I did before. So I'm eating less! Maybe because of increased absorption? Is there any way to speed up the process and get the gluten out of my body? It's been there a long time. I'm 62. Thanks for any help I can get!

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#25 LizIis

LizIis

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:22 PM

I don't know if there's a way to speed it up, but I can tell you what happened to me, see if it helps!

I went off gluten in July, and within days felt horrible. Cramps, aching, headaches...very similar to what you're describing. It all went away, 100%, when I stopped eating - I was feeling so bad I thought I was ill, and just ended up not eating for a day or so because I felt so miserable. When I started adding in food again, I kept food log, and found out that my symptoms completely correlated with foods I was eating.

When I cut out those foods, too? I feel fine. TOTALLY fine. Even things I never would have thought of - no more headache, backache, insomnia, bloating and cramping, congestion...things I'd just taken as a normal part of my life for years now.

Now that I've been off of gluten for a while, I note that when I accidentally get something on the 'bad' list, the reaction isn't as bad as it once was, but it's still there. It might be worth your while to do a food log - where you keep track of every ingredient - and see if you have a similar correlation.

Adding to that - it might help to get off any gluten-free foods (pastas, crackers, gluten-free breads, etc...) if you are using those. One thing I found out was that the foods I react to are ones that are more common additives in gluten-free foods, like potatoes and sugar cane. So I was getting more of these ingredients than normal when I went gluten-free.

Also, when I finally saw my GI doctor (the good one I hunted down after my celiac disease diagnosis), he mentioned that other food allergies and sensitivities are very common for people who have celiac disease, or have food allergies already. Testing me for allergies with a blood test was one of the first things he wanted to do, and it confirmed a lot of what I'd been noticing on my own.

In any case, I don't know if this is your situation, but keeping foods simple for a few weeks and keeping a food log of foods and bodily reactions certainly can't hurt, and it might help. :-) Good luck!

#26 LizIis

LizIis

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:30 PM

Thank you, TH! I've been wondering about that, but I hate to give up so many things! I think you're right though. What you say just "rings true" in my mind. I've already eliminated dairy, and I'm trying to eliminate soy. I have been eating gluten-free products and potatoes. I'm going to keep track of my reactions. Great idea! Thanks again!!

#27 LizIis

LizIis

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:53 AM

#28 LizIis

LizIis

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:57 AM

To T.H.: What else did you figure out you were allergic to? It is so encouraging to me that you now say you are completely fine!! Thanks again.

#29 Jennyroars

Jennyroars

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:50 PM

This post really has made me feel so much better today so thanks to all those that took the time to write.

I have been trying to be gluten free for the last 2 weeks and I know I have had some CC issues but some days I feel awful and just can't figure out where I went wrong. Other days I am feeling a lot better, although last night was the first night I have slept for 8 hours solid in 6 weeks especially coming off gluten I just cant sleep and in the mornings I feel like I have been hit by a bus. The anxiety and depression comes in huge waves, today I just burst into tears for no reason. The other thing that has been driving me nutty is the brain fog and not being able to find the words or saying the totally wrong thing does that happen to anyone?

I know I am inpatient and want results ASAP so this has given me some hope and focus to keep going

thanks again

#30 LizIis

LizIis

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:29 PM

This post really has made me feel so much better today so thanks to all those that took the time to write.

I have been trying to be gluten free for the last 2 weeks and I know I have had some CC issues but some days I feel awful and just can't figure out where I went wrong. Other days I am feeling a lot better, although last night was the first night I have slept for 8 hours solid in 6 weeks especially coming off gluten I just cant sleep and in the mornings I feel like I have been hit by a bus. The anxiety and depression comes in huge waves, today I just burst into tears for no reason. The other thing that has been driving me nutty is the brain fog and not being able to find the words or saying the totally wrong thing does that happen to anyone?

I know I am inpatient and want results ASAP so this has given me some hope and focus to keep going

thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: