Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:01 PM

Oh, my. The reply about independent testing is priceless! "We have no clue but we trust our suppliers. Yeah, that's the story!"

At least we now know to avoid EVERYTHING they label gluten-free. And I feel sorry for Perry's family members.

#18 Dee777

Dee777

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:49 AM

Oh, my. The reply about independent testing is priceless! "We have no clue but we trust our suppliers. Yeah, that's the story!"

At least we now know to avoid EVERYTHING they label gluten-free. And I feel sorry for Perry's family members.

I just feel like a fool... I always assumed :rolleyes: that if a company labels a product gluten free (or sugar free, caffeine free, soy free, dairy free, whatEVER) that they must have the testing to back it up before they market it as such? And if they had this testing in place, shouldn't it be available to people like you and I to view to reassure our Celiac selves that we are safe when we consume it? I guess I just have an awful lot to learn!

#19 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:54 AM

I just feel like a fool... I always assumed :rolleyes: that if a company labels a product gluten free (or sugar free, caffeine free, soy free, dairy free, whatEVER) that they must have the testing to back it up before they market it as such? And if they had this testing in place, shouldn't it be available to people like you and I to view to reassure our Celiac selves that we are safe when we consume it? I guess I just have an awful lot to learn!

In the US there is no law about what gluten-free means. We have some great companies that make things and put gluten-free on them because they don't put anything gluten in them. But they don't test. If they had to test, it would be too expensive. For example - a grocery store chain labels canned fruits & vegs gluten-free. The only gluten was someone's lunch in the lunch room.

There is still the problem of companies that label wheat or barley on the ingredients but insist its gluten-free. Just shows we must read the labels.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#20 Dee777

Dee777

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:00 AM

If anyone is interested in checking out their other gluten-free products just Google the company name, they have them all listed with a big old "gluten-free" for your shopping convenience and peace of mind!

Seriously, before I found out I had Celiac, I consumed their stuff and it IS tasty albeit pricey. I couldn't tell you if the gluten-free stuff made me sick because for years EVERYTHING made me sick pretty much AND I never paid attention to the gluten factor because I knew nothing about gluten and the whole Celiac problem.

What got me going on this topic with this company was the claim by the representative at the trade show that they found a way to "remove the gluten from the wheat". For about 2.3 seconds my head was spinning, I was beyond elation... I was going to contact my favorite beer brewery, bakeries and soup companies screaming "STOP PRODUCTION! YOU CAN NOW REMOVE THE GLUTEN!!!!"

Then, I came back down to Earth with my mother's words echoing in my head... "If it sounds too good to be true dear, then it IS." And now I'm just bitter.

:D

Dee

#21 Salax

Salax

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:49 AM

It's really too bad that the Celiac Foundation or Celiac.com or the Maryland center for celiac (I think it's Maryland) or someone with some hard core presence couldn't write them a letter that would "slap them around" a bit for there obviously misleading product. :unsure:

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

#22 Dee777

Dee777

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:10 PM

Yes that would be nice, but would they listen? After all, with Celiac family members and customers who use the products with no. problems obviously they know more than some silly foundation or center!

#23 11475

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:53 PM

Excuse me if my cynicism is now showing ;) , but it's possible the family members with Celiac don't exist. Dee - thanks for pressing them with your second email - hopefully it saves a few people from eating the company's products and then getting sick without realising why.

#24 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:21 AM

Yes that would be nice, but would they listen? After all, with Celiac family members and customers who use the products with no. problems obviously they know more than some silly foundation or center!

I hear ya. But I think that if we take the "will they listen" approach with things like this, we are allowing their behavior from a stand point of "it doesn't matter they won't listen anyway". This to me seems like a cop out. We need to stand up for ourselves, because if we don't companies like this will continue to take advantage of "gluten free". I mean look what this forum has done for Damien whats his name, the chef guy that fed people that asked for gluten-free non-gluten-free food.

Whether or not they listen, we still have a voice that we can scream loud and proud with AND we make that presence that we aren't gonna take that crap from anyone.

That's just my 2 cents any ways. :D

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

#25 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:46 AM

I hear ya. But I think that if we take the "will they listen" approach with things like this, we are allowing their behavior from a stand point of "it doesn't matter they won't listen anyway". This to me seems like a cop out. We need to stand up for ourselves, because if we don't companies like this will continue to take advantage of "gluten free". I mean look what this forum has done for Damien whats his name, the chef guy that fed people that asked for gluten-free non-gluten-free food.

Whether or not they listen, we still have a voice that we can scream loud and proud with AND we make that presence that we aren't gonna take that crap from anyone.

That's just my 2 cents any ways. :D

I agree! I think we should flood the company with e-mails and phone calls asking why their "gluten-free" food contains gluten ingredients. Afterall, it's not as if gluten-free soy sauces don't exist. The company could easily make a change to gluten-free soy sauce or wheat free tamrari if they really cared about catering to the gluten-free community. Other companies have made those type of changes without having a law force them to do so. I'm all for getting the laws changed but I also think we have a big voice as consumers. Kelloggs would probably not have released a gluten-free Rice Kripsies unless consumers had asked for it. They either had enough people asking about it over the last few years or they had noticed the gluten-free "trend" that their competition (General Mills) has already been profitting from. That's how companies work--they have to make money and they do that by keeping their customers happy. We may be only about 1% of the population but we have friends and family members that we influence with our opinions. If we tell everyone we know about this company that is claiming to make gluten-free products but really putting gluten in them AND also not doing any independent testing to back up their claims that the Gluten is taken out in processing, our friends and family will be less likely to buy just based on that. Sure, some people might buy anyway, but never underestimate the power of bad press. Negative feedback is 10 times more powerful than a single positive review. Companies know this and they will listen if we assert ourselves.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#26 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:14 AM

Even though there is no strict law in place, you can report their mislabeling to the FDA. Voluntary gluten-free labeling rules specify that if there are wheat-derived ingredients the product must still be below 20ppm gluten.
http://www.fda.gov/F...s/ucm177323.htm

Here is where you call.
http://www.fda.gov/S...ors/default.htm

#27 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:18 AM

By the way, I found this too. It seems some soy/wheat soy sauces do test below 5 ppm gluten.
http://www.soya.be/g...e-soy-sauce.php

#28 DougE

DougE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:55 PM

And since it's a Canadian Company, it wouldn't hurt to report it to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

#29 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:39 PM

And since it's a Canadian Company, it wouldn't hurt to report it to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

Whoops! Thanks. Is my US-centric view showing too badly? :P

#30 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:44 PM

I also didn't realize that we were talking about Canada. They are definitely offside if that is the case.

Here is the applicable Canadian regulation. It applies to food sold in Canada, but food sold outside Canada may not have to adhere to the rule.

Food and Drug Regulation B.24.018

No person shall label, package, sell or advertise a food in a manner likely to create an impression that it is gluten-free unless the food does not contain wheat, including spelt and kamut, or oats, barley, rye or triticale or any part thereof.

So, no matter what you do to "remove the gluten," by Canadian regulation if it contains anything derived from barley it can not be represented in any way as "gluten-free."
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: