Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Gluten Withdrawal - Anyone Else Feel The Best In The Morning?

• Please log in to reply

20 replies to this topic

#1 ericsnow

ericsnow

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:13 AM

It seems as though the first 2 or 3 hours after I wake up I feel pretty close to normal. But as the day goes on the tiredness, extreme hunger, bloating, anxiety, headaches, and irritability seem to increase and by dinner time rolls around I feel like crap.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:09 AM

I had withdrawal, too Eric. A lot of us did. It's yucky, I know. :(

Drink a lot of water. Make sure you eat breakfast. Eat fresh fruits and veggies and PROTEIN in small portions throughout the day. Keep the blood sugars level. Ride it out. Can you tolerate exercise? That helps.

As I recall, you are gluten and dairy free, right? I know it feels awful right now. But in time, you will feel better. Hang in there!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:41 AM

BTW....Yesterday, you asked about testing for allergies and I was trying to tell you there's a difference between food allergies and food intolerances ..others chimed in and I am hoping we did not confuse you too much?? It does get murky :lol: Hope not! If I can help clear that up for you, please ask. I think at this point, you are less interested in testing and more interested in just feeling better, right?

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#4 ericsnow

ericsnow

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:11 AM

I had withdrawal, too Eric. A lot of us did. It's yucky, I know. :(

Drink a lot of water. Make sure you eat breakfast. Eat fresh fruits and veggies and PROTEIN in small portions throughout the day. Keep the blood sugars level. Ride it out. Can you tolerate exercise? That helps.

As I recall, you are gluten and dairy free, right? I know it feels awful right now. But in time, you will feel better. Hang in there!

I try to drink 8 glasses of water a day. I'm eating breakfast. Definitely eating a lot of protein and fruit, but not much veggies lol, only broccoli.

It seems that about 3 or 4 hours after I wake up I start getting tired and then the tiredness just increases as the day goes on. Is that because my body is spending a lot of energy trying to heal?

#5 ericsnow

ericsnow

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:12 AM

BTW....Yesterday, you asked about testing for allergies and I was trying to tell you there's a difference between food allergies and food intolerances ..others chimed in and I am hoping we did not confuse you too much?? It does get murky :lol: Hope not! If I can help clear that up for you, please ask. I think at this point, you are less interested in testing and more interested in just feeling better, right?

Correct. What's the difference between celiac and gluten intolerance or is it the same thing?

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:14 AM

I try to drink 8 glasses of water a day. I'm eating breakfast. Definitely eating a lot of protein and fruit, but not much veggies lol, only broccoli.

It seems that about 3 or 4 hours after I wake up I start getting tired and then the tiredness just increases as the day goes on. Is that because my body is spending a lot of energy trying to heal?

yes. And recovery takes a long time. try to be patient! You're doing all the right things. No gluten getting in otherwise right??

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#7 ericsnow

ericsnow

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:20 AM

yes. And recovery takes a long time. try to be patient! You're doing all the right things. No gluten getting in otherwise right??

None. I make sure everything I eat is labeled gluten/dairy/soy free. I heard soy can cause similar problems as gluten.

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:24 AM

Correct. What's the difference between celiac and gluten intolerance or is it the same thing?

People can be gluten sensitive or intolerant but may not develop full-blown celiac disease unless they carry the gene for it. Gluten sensitivity covers a wide spectrum. The treatment is the same--avoidance of gluten in wheat, rye, barley and all the derivatives of it (like malt, for example)that are used in fillers, binders, etc. Gluten is a tricky bugger and you need to exclude all the sources of it from your diet.

Here is an article that will "de-mystify" it for you:

http://americancelia...celiac-disease/

A good book is:

Living Gluten-free for Dummies by Danna Korn

Hope this helps!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:26 AM

None. I make sure everything I eat is labeled gluten/dairy/soy free. I heard soy can cause similar problems as gluten.

yes! for some, soy is an issue (like me)

Check your Vitamins? prescription drugs?

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#10 ericsnow

ericsnow

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:37 AM

yes! for some, soy is an issue (like me)

Check your Vitamins? prescription drugs?

No prescriptions. My multi vitamin is safe. As is my toothpaste and mouthwash.

I'm taking a fish oil supplement, a selenium supplement, a chlorella supplement, and some whole leaf aloe vera juice daily. Those 4 things are supposed to help with intestinal issues (and I made sure they were all safe). I also make sure I put a couple tablespoons of extra virgin coconut oil in my smoothies and I also cook with coconut oil. The coconut oil is supposed to be good for the intestines as well.

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:44 AM

No prescriptions. My multi vitamin is safe. As is my toothpaste and mouthwash.

I'm taking a fish oil supplement, a selenium supplement, a chlorella supplement, and some extra virgin whole leaf aloe vera juice daily. Those 4 things are supposed to help with intestinal issues (and I made sure they were all safe).

I would just caution you to be careful of too many supplements(in my humble opinion). In a gut that is trying to heal, adding things IN can sometimes cause new problems like nausea, diarrhea, etc. Personally, using those things made it worse (aloe vera, L-glutamine, garlic, etc.)

Chlorella killed my stomach and caused major diarrhea and just beat me up. It is a "detoxifier" and can be strong. Your body is going through major changes. Sometimes, just keeping it simple--pure, whole foods-- is the key.

Just my thoughts. I tried them all at one point and learned the hard way.

If you continue to feel yucky, go a few days without supplements, then add them back in one at a time and see if any of those things are creating the symptoms.

You're just starting to heal, so it is rocky at first. Hang in!

Best wishes!!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#12 ericsnow

ericsnow

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:27 AM

I would just caution you to be careful of too many supplements(in my humble opinion). In a gut that is trying to heal, adding things IN can sometimes cause new problems like nausea, diarrhea, etc. Personally, using those things made it worse (aloe vera, L-glutamine, garlic, etc.)

Chlorella killed my stomach and caused major diarrhea and just beat me up. It is a "detoxifier" and can be strong. Your body is going through major changes. Sometimes, just keeping it simple--pure, whole foods-- is the key.

Just my thoughts. I tried them all at one point and learned the hard way.

If you continue to feel yucky, go a few days without supplements, then add them back in one at a time and see if any of those things are creating the symptoms.

You're just starting to heal, so it is rocky at first. Hang in!

Best wishes!!

Yeah I heard chlorella can be a little harsh. I think it's okay for me but I will pay close attention to that.

Good idea with the go a few days without supplements. Tomorrow I'm not going to take any and I'll see if I feel better, worse, or the same.

#13 rgarton

rgarton

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

I still find that problem, but realized eating smaller meals more regularly and small snacking helps, I eat alot of walnuts throughout the day because of their magnesium and vitimin e content which helps with bones and my anxiety strangely, i never connected vitamin e with my anxiety before but voila! If you know your supplements are safe I'd stick with them... they will only do good by you surely? Unless your allergic to a certain mineral or vitamin! Oh and eating bananas! Helps the tiredness for me :)
Lifes not waiting for the storm to pass, its learning to dance in the rain...

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:59 AM

Yeah I heard chlorella can be a little harsh. I think it's okay for me but I will pay close attention to that.

Good idea with the go a few days without supplements. Tomorrow I'm not going to take any and I'll see if I feel better, worse, or the same.

Good plan! Give them a rest for a FEW days, then add one at a time for a few days....There's a lot of trial and error with this, eric...so don't give up!One other thing...probiotics (non-dairy ones) are helpful with replenishing gut flora. They did the trick for me! ;)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#15 ericsnow

ericsnow

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:40 AM

Good plan! Give them a rest for a FEW days, then add one at a time for a few days....There's a lot of trial and error with this, eric...so don't give up!One other thing...probiotics (non-dairy ones) are helpful with replenishing gut flora. They did the trick for me! ;)

What's a good non dairy probiotic?

And do you know if acne can be a symptom of gluten withdrawal?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: