#1 willamina

willamina

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 06:15 AM

I would LOVE suggestions.
Also, I know there's ocntroversey over whether oatmeal has gluten or not...do you find that oatmeal bothers you?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2004 - 07:32 AM

To my knowledge there are not too many gluten-free cold cereals on the shelf without looking in the health food section of your grocery store. My family is able to tolerate Fruity Pebbles, its made from rice and as far as I know is gluten-free. Corn pops are still gluten-free now but will be changing their formula to add what starch sometime this month so be sure to check the label.

I have not tried oatmeal so I cannot help you there. I do know in the health food section of my grocery store they have wonderful gluten-free hot cereals made by Bob's Red Mill.

Hope this helps :)

#3 Guest_aramgard_*

Guest_aramgard_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2004 - 08:01 AM

Also for cooked cereal try Lundberg's Sweet Almond Rice cereal, it's wonderful. Shirley

#4 janet

janet

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 05:24 PM

I found that oatmeal was a problem for me so I had to give it up. There is a company called Nature's Path that makes gluten free cereals and they taste good. Its web site is www.naturespath.com. It is a Canadian company so I'm not sure if it's available elsewhere.

Janet

#5 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 05:52 PM

I LOVE :wub: the EnviroKidz Cereals. My favorite is the peanut butter panda puffs. YUM!!! Adults can enjoy fun cereals too! ha

As far as the oatmeal question goes. I personally have trouble with it. I had purchased the McKaans Oatmeal that says they are not cross contaminated and safe for celiacs. However, my tummy rumbled every time I had some.
All I can say it try it for yourself and see if you have a reaction, but do be sure to get a brand like McKaans that does not have cross contamination. Some people ARE able to eat it, I am just not one of them. :rolleyes:

-Jessica
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#6 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 06:06 PM

These are the ones I've had:

Nature's Path makes a Corn Crunch-Em's and Rice Crunch-Em's that are like Chex.
Arrowhead Mills makes a Maple Buckwheat Flakes that are tasty.
Envirokidz's Gorilla Munch is pretty good too.
Nature's Path makes a Blue Corn Corn Flakes, which I was ambivalent on.
And some stores make corn flakes or rice puffs without malt.

Unfortunately, none of them are as well rounded as I'd like and tend to be low on fat and protein. :-( There are some online places you can get granola from that are gluten-free that I might try at some point, but haven't yet. Cream of rice with dried fruit (mmm... blueberries), milk (or milk substitute), and crushed almonds is good.

Tiffany
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#7 Lily

Lily

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 02:04 PM

Oatmeal gives me a stomachache quicker than cream of wheat. It's been noted that some celiacs can tolerate oats though. Good luck! Thanks everyone for the great info on cereals. Fruit every day for breakfast just isn't doing it for me!

Lily

#8 dclark519

dclark519

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 09:20 PM

An idea for breakfast might be to make your own fruit breads, and eat a slice in the a.m. most of the prepackaged mixes have great recipes on them, also maybe you could get your library to order some gluten-free cookbooks for you to browse through. I am fortunate to be a homemaker and have time to do this, hope you do too!

#9 kvogt

kvogt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 09:54 AM

I like Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Hot and Tasty Cereal. Also, I've found polenta makes a nice hot cereal for a change. I like my breakfast cereal sweet so I add butter and maple syrup or brown sugar.

#10 hapi2bgf

hapi2bgf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 11:07 AM

Health Valley has a corn and a rice cereal that come pretty close to Corn Chex and Rice Chex. I forgot the official name of the Health Valley Corn Chex like cereal, but I eat it straight out of the box for snacks!

#11 Guest_shar4_*

Guest_shar4_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2004 - 08:27 AM

I have tried Kashi Cranberry Sunshine, and haven't had any problems with it. It's a change from some of the more nasty things that I have tried in the last couple of months. ;)

Keep the great ideas coming.

Sharon

#12 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 08:43 AM

I know I have read that EnviroKids cereals may be cross-contaminated, and I have to say that my experience seems to bear this out. Several days ago, I was taking an afternoon nap, and I woke up to discover that my older boy had eaten an ENTIRE box of cereal (either Gorilla Munch or Amazon Corn Flakes--I can't remember which, but both are labelled gluten-free) while I was sleeping. Well, by that evening he had developed rough, red cheeks (almost bleeding) and the same sort of rash on his bottom. He's still not totally back to normal! I won't be trusting those cereals again, unfortunately!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: