17 replies to this topic

#16 Mago

Mago

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:11 PM

How do you handle sleep episodes like this where you feel headachy and sick and can't get anything worthwhile done? luckily I'm not employed atm, but I mean to be soon.

I've dealt with extreme sleepiness before but that was when I was actually out and about doing things, not just sitting around eating and watching TV and then sleeping. I can't handle this; I want it to stop TT_TT I feel like a failure at life

there was a time when I first moved here that I fell asleep then woke up naturally 8/9 hours later and had energy all day. what happened to that...?

I've been less vigilant on my diet the past 2-3 months and I've definately been in the same boat. The amount of over-sleeping I do seems to relate to how much gluten I ingest. Right before my diagnosis, I ate a handfull of crackers, and I was so tired I couldn't get out of bed for 2 days! Now I'm in the same boat again for not checking ingredients. I usually drink lots of liquids, eat soups, fruits, and easy-to-digest foods (though I crave everything but when I get glutened), and just sleep it out. It sucks when no amount of anything will keep you awake... I hope you get better!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:34 PM

I think it's hilarious that this thread was updated the day after I fell asleep at six pm and woke up at six am... but! I'm now gluten, dairy, and soya free, and keeping hydrated, and I don't have this problem really anymore. I slept 12 hours last night because I cycled 40+ km over the weekend and went on a 2 hr hike to boot. but on normal days I get by without any naps and I have more energy than usual... I'm not at 100% all the time, but who is? My magic number is between 7 and 9 hours of sleep a night.

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

25 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#18 jeanzdyn

jeanzdyn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

I posted this a little while back... (in a different thread, got no reply). well, now I'm in the same boat again.

This time I slept nine hours last night, got up to eat brunch and watch TV, then slept about 2+ hours. My head feels funny and I could totally fall asleep again. My body is screaming at me to but I'm going to wait as long as I can and try to sleep at night instead.

How do you handle sleep episodes like this where you feel headachy and sick and can't get anything worthwhile done? luckily I'm not employed atm, but I mean to be soon.

I've dealt with extreme sleepiness before but that was when I was actually out and about doing things, not just sitting around eating and watching TV and then sleeping. .................

What you are describing about sleep and getting up and then an hour or two later going back to sleep --that is exactly what I have been experiencing! That is my weekend: sleep for 9 or more hours, get up eat, watch a little tv, and then back to sleep again for 2 to 4 hours. Then up for a few hours and back to sleep again. Sometimes I am only up for 2 hours at a time. Give me a place to lay down -anyplace, anytime and I can sleep. I have not gotten much done on the weekends in months, all I do on the weekend is take a lot of naps.

I do have to say that I was just diagnosed 2-1/2 months ago and have not stayed completely true to the gluten-free diet.
This sleep pattern on the weekends has been what I have experienced for most of the last year.

If I have a place to go, something to do, then I don't sleep as much, and it does not seem to affect me in a bad way at all. But, staying home on the weekend, then I take a lot of naps.
What is food to one man may be fierce poison to others. —--Lucretius

I miss bread! But I love Kinnikinnick gluten free pizza crust.

Diagnosed celiac disease: November 2011 (biopsy and endoscopy)
other conditions: asthma, arthritis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: