7 replies to this topic

#1 kati

kati

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 11:23 AM

I have read that it is semolina based but then another website described it as a wheat product.
I love couscous and would be thrilled if in fact I can still eat it....
Thanks in advance Kati

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 01:00 PM

I wouldn't take a chance
Molly

#3 GFdoc

GFdoc

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 01:52 PM

couscous is basically pasta ----seminola is a type of wheat! in other words you cannot eat couscous!
Sara gluten-free since 9/03

#4 SadiesMomma

SadiesMomma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 03:52 PM

:( Sorry but I'd have to agree with the others... Its not worth the risk!
-Heather
~*HEATHER*~
Living gluten-free, Egg, Dairy, Nut, Soy, and Corn Free since Winter/Spring 2003

Fathers be good to your daughters,
Daughters will love like you do,
Girls become lovers who turn in Mothers,
So mothers be good to your daughters too.

#5 hsd1203

hsd1203

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 09:08 PM

kati, unfortunately, semolina, spelt, kamut, club, durum, bulgur, and einkorn are just some of the names wheat can come under... so sorry, no couscous.

but maybe you could try some brown rice... it is tastier (and healthier) than the white stuff and has a more couscous-ish texture to it. and can be mixed with a lot of the same stuff you would put in a couscous dish.

also there is a really yummy breakfast cereal out there that is gluten-free and couscous-esque (ie you could definately eat it for meals other than breakfast), it is called bob's red mill mighty tasty gluten-free hot cereal and is made from rice, corn, sorghum, and buckwheat (which, confusingly enough, is not related to wheat and is gluten-free)

hope this helps!

#6 kati

kati

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 09:26 PM

wow, so much to learn... thanks for the help though I appreciate it - I will defo try the cereal and see if it is a good sub....
I just like an alternative to rice, especially as I am also allergic to dairy & soy - so I drink rice milk, eat rice cheese, use rice butter, eat plain rice, etc etc sometimes its just nice to have a change...
I found AMY's ready meals today at Safeway - I am so happy it will be great to take ready made meals to work again.........
Thanks again
Kati

#7 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 09:38 PM

I just like an alternative to rice, especially as I am also allergic to dairy & soy - so I drink rice milk, eat rice cheese, use rice butter, eat plain rice, etc etc sometimes its just nice to have a change...

Kati, have you really found a rice butter and rice cheese that don't have dairy or soy?!? I would love to know the brand. I am also not able to eat dairy or soy and have not found any brands that are dairy free and soy free. They all seem to have one or the other. I really miss cheese. I got very tired of rice milk, so I have gone over to Blue Diamond Almond milk. The original is good in cereal, and good just to drink. The chocolate flavor is just like smooth creamy choclate milk! I love it. And they are such a refreshing change to rice milk. I don't recommned the vanilla flavor though. it just doesn't taste good. Let me know about the rice butter & cheese. Thanks.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#8 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 10:00 AM

kati,

You're right, there IS a lot to learn. But don't worry, you'll get the hang of it!

In the past, I have used millet as an alternative to couscous. You can toast it in a dry skillet to enhance its flavor, too. I haven't tried millet since I went totally gluten-free because I am being super cautious about adding grains back in to my diet, but it should be gluten-free unless it is cross-contaminated (which means, don't trust the bulk bins at the health food store!). I plan to order a bag from Bob's Red Mill the next time I have money to spend and give it a try. Millet is also a whole grain, so it is a more healthful choice than couscous (which is made from processed wheat, just like pasta is).

I'll have to try that gluten-free hot cereal, too; it sounds like it might be delicious!

Good luck!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: