#16 Ollie's Mom

Ollie's Mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Lisa - I do drink wine on a regular basis, and I don't have problems like this. A few weeks ago, I had about 3/4 of a bottle over the course of an evening and was perfectly fine. I did not consume any more alcohol on Friday than I do normally. So, it was not an alcohol thing. Of that, I am 100% certain.

And I thought I could tolerate wine well - until Friday. There must have been something about this wine - or something about the glass it was in - that made me so ill. Vomiting excessively after 2 glasses of wine is NOT normal for me at all.

pricklypear - I looked the wine up online after I felt a bit better. It does not look like it is flavoured, but I think I'm going to call the winery and ask about it. I'd like to get to the bottom of this, because I enjoy have a glass or two of wine with dinner every so often. But it is not worth the pain it caused me on Friday!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Ollie's Mom

Ollie's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:40 PM

I have never heard of Crush wine. Could it be a wine cooler, which might contain barley malt like Smirnoffs Ice Coolers?

Wine in general is gluten free. I don't know anything about flavored wines :rolleyes: ....not on my grocery list.

It is not a cooler. It is a pinot grigio. From an Ontario winery.

I would never have a cooler without researching it first.

Like you, I thought wine was gluten free. But after my reaction on Friday, I'm not so sure anymore.

#18 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Lisa - I do drink wine on a regular basis, and I don't have problems like this. A few weeks ago, I had about 3/4 of a bottle over the course of an evening and was perfectly fine. I did not consume any more alcohol on Friday than I do normally. So, it was not an alcohol thing. Of that, I am 100% certain.

And I thought I could tolerate wine well - until Friday. There must have been something about this wine - or something about the glass it was in - that made me so ill. Vomiting excessively after 2 glasses of wine is NOT normal for me at all.

pricklypear - I looked the wine up online after I felt a bit better. It does not look like it is flavoured, but I think I'm going to call the winery and ask about it. I'd like to get to the bottom of this, because I enjoy have a glass or two of wine with dinner every so often. But it is not worth the pain it caused me on Friday!

I have to think it might be something about the bar or food poisoning. Probably not the wine if it's just wine. You may never know. Something got me a few weeks back. Never have figured out what it could be. Welcome to the gluten free world! :blink:

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#19 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I have a thought and a totally personal experience. We have a restaurant here in small town, usa. It's a local place, like "the brick" on Northern Exposure or like "Cheers".

I can have two glasses of wine here at home and feel totally fine. Same wine I buy at the grocery store. But, in a crowded environment like our restaurant and I'm busy talking to people, two glasses have a far greater impact.

Why, I'm not sure. But, my non gluten-free friends experience the same effect. I think it has to do with adrenalin of something.

Life with Celiac is curious. Sometimes, we might not ever know the answer. So we just do out best. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#20 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:24 PM

Maybe it is something in the air...I'm still paying for Friday's wine tasting fiasco.

I did notice something interesting - when I drink organic wine or biodynamic wine (can't remember the wineries) I could barely feel a buzz. Compared to regular wine (sulfates added, strong tannins), it was very different.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#21 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:02 AM

I don't know anything about flavored wines

They're actually kind of interesting. I've seen a lot of various fruit flavored wines and nut flavored wines, but the oddest one I've come across was a chocolate flavored wine called Cocoa di Vine.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: