16 replies to this topic

#1 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:25 AM

Massive rookie error just now. Fancied an easy meal tonight, so I picked some Uncle Ben's Sweet and Sour. Felt the symptoms come on before I'd finished the plate :( It had no mention of anything gluten wise at all, but on their website it's rather confusingly indicated as not gluten free. The only thing I can imagine that contains gluten in the ingredients is the vinegar.

I'd been doing okay today too. Now I have a night of neurological hell ahead of me, not to mention the next few days. I've been having trouble with other things like dairy and nightshades, but this is the first time in weeks I've been glutened. Have I just reset the healing process to square one?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:36 AM

Just a minor setback. No biggie. We all make mistakes. Back in the saddle! ;)
For me, I notice that if I do get glutened on accident, the worst thing that I can do is stress about it. It makes things worse.
Feel better!

#3 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:51 AM

I have not heard of Uncle Ben's Sweet & Sour. In the US vinegar is apple based unless it says malt. Are you in another country? If it lists soy sauce, that could have wheat in it...Just looked at the UK website and the Sweet & sour sauce clearly lists wheat twice.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#4 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:42 PM

Can you point me to the link kareng? The ingredients on the bottle make no mention of wheat all, in any form.

#5 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

Actually, found it. http://www.unclebens.../sauce/oriental

The sauce I had ( original ) has no mention of wheat, spicy does though.

#6 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

http://www.unclebens.../sauce/oriental

#7 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:48 PM

The spicy one does list wheat, my one doesn't, yet if you go here:

https://www.marsfood...ault.aspx#sauce

... then the sauce is listed as not gluten free. All I know is I have very definitely been glutened. Even the back of my eye is burning.

#8 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:58 PM

Can you point me to the link kareng? The ingredients on the bottle make no mention of wheat all, in any form.

Your right that was the spicy. My old eyes didn't see that tiny print. The regular doesn't list wheat. Odd. You would think they were the same except for some extra peppers.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#9 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:12 PM

Probably made in the same vat as the spicy. Cross contamination.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#10 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:17 PM

Probably made in the same vat as the spicy. Cross contamination.

Makes sense to me. Would explain why they don't check that gluten free box, for sure.

Thanks for the replies folks :)

#11 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:54 AM

:(

I got done again today. Was assured by the waitress that the chef had said a sausage on my breakfast plate was gluten-free ( the rest of it couldn't have had gluten ), within 20 minutes I was starting to feel glutened, hours later I'm in a fairly bad way with GI symptoms, can't feel two fingers on my right hand ( it's almost as if my pinky and the next finger are taped together ), feel nauseous, extremely agitated ( like I've had waaay too much coffee - anyone else get that? ) and simply can't think straight.

Worse, my partner, probably rightly, thinks I was stupid to have the sausage in the first place, so now I'm in the dog house. I just can't seem to get my head round the idea that I really do have this condition.

#12 Brooksbelle

Brooksbelle

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:47 AM

Newbie here too!

My mistakes have been (in chronological order) Rice Krispies (malt!), Fried Green Tomatoes (breading--DUH!), Modified Food Starch (tricky).

The learning curve is steep--but I'm getting there. Reading a little bit every night to educate myself. Conclusion? Gluten is in about 95% of processed foods. :blink:
Gluten-free since 6/26/11
Undiagnosed for 14 years
Currently also Lactose and Soy intolerant
Vegetarian

#13 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:56 AM

:(

I got done again today. Was assured by the waitress that the chef had said a sausage on my breakfast plate was gluten-free ( the rest of it couldn't have had gluten ), within 20 minutes I was starting to feel glutened, hours later I'm in a fairly bad way with GI symptoms, can't feel two fingers on my right hand ( it's almost as if my pinky and the next finger are taped together ), feel nauseous, extremely agitated ( like I've had waaay too much coffee - anyone else get that? ) and simply can't think straight.

Worse, my partner, probably rightly, thinks I was stupid to have the sausage in the first place, so now I'm in the dog house. I just can't seem to get my head round the idea that I really do have this condition.

Most sausages are gluten free. Perhaps there are some with gluten but I don't know of any offhand. The problem was more likely, IMHO cross contamination from the grill. Many places cook eggs, pancakes, french toast, bacon and sausage all on the same grill. Even though the grill is usually scraped that would not be enough to prevent CC. It is best if we ask that our food be cooked in a seperate clean pan. There are also some places that add a bit of pancake batter to their scrambled eggs to make them fluffier so if you should order scrambled eggs someplace make sure they don't do that.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#14 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:07 PM

Most sausages are gluten free. Perhaps there are some with gluten but I don't know of any offhand. The problem was more likely, IMHO cross contamination from the grill. Many places cook eggs, pancakes, french toast, bacon and sausage all on the same grill. Even though the grill is usually scraped that would not be enough to prevent CC. It is best if we ask that our food be cooked in a seperate clean pan. There are also some places that add a bit of pancake batter to their scrambled eggs to make them fluffier so if you should order scrambled eggs someplace make sure they don't do that.

Actually, I have heard from people in the UK that many sausages are not gluten-free. In the States they almost always are gluten-free.

santa-dance.gif

#15 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:30 PM

Yeah, unfortunately in the UK you have to be very careful, most sausages are padded out with wheat in some way. There are specific Free From varieties, but otherwise best to avoid it. Which is why I'm annoyed that the chef obviously wasn't switched on. I've been there before and they've always done me right, but this time it was a new chef.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: