#1 AlwaysHope

AlwaysHope

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 04:49 PM

Hi Everyone!

My husband suspects he has celiac disease and has opted to just try the gluten-free diet and see how it goes.

I have fibromyalgia and I have just recently discovered that I am sensitive to
wheat... so we are both going to give the gluten-free diet a whirl.

My question is about medications. Are things like Tylenol or other pain relievers
a concern for Celiacs?

Also one more (I just just ONE question but the truth is I have MANY LOL)

What about shampoos, body products?

Thanks so much for your time.

Blessings,
AlwaysHope

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:06 PM

If you plan to get an official diagnosis then going gluten free may result in a false negative test result. However, some people decide to go on the diet without an official diagnosis. I use garnier fructis shampoo... Dove products will clearly indicate gluten

This website says that tylenol is gluten free. Check under "Availability And Storage" and look at the ingredients for each tablet or liquid.
http://www.rxmed.com...T)/TYLENOL.html

Edited by Carriefaith, 26 July 2005 - 05:07 PM.

Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#3 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:10 PM

Sorry, you may not have caught that edit, all the tylenols appear to be gluten free!
Carrie Faith

#4 AlwaysHope

AlwaysHope

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:10 PM

If you plan to get an official diagnosis then going gluten free may result in a false negative test result. However, some people decide to go on the diet without an official diagnosis. I use garnier fructis shampoo... Dove products will clearly indicate gluten

This website says that tylenol is gluten free. Check under "Availability And Storage" and look at the ingredients for each tablet or liquid.
http://www.rxmed.com...T)/TYLENOL.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks so much for the info Carriefaith. My husband is not going to bother to be tested because he's well.. lol .. he's a man and he doesn't do doctors.. lol

As someone who has FM as well as Multiple Chemical Sensitivity I can't use regular shampoos. We are using something now that I don't think is gluten-free but I think that I will probably email the manufacturer and ask them directly.

I was just wondering if he had to be careful of these products too. Sounds like there is Gluten in EVERYTHING..

Thanks again,
blessings,
AlwaysHope

#5 AlwaysHope

AlwaysHope

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:15 PM

Sorry, you may not have caught that edit, all the tylenols appear to be gluten free!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm.. I am confused. They seem to show they have gluten in them? From what I a see.. what am I missing?

This is very confusing! LOL

AlwaysHope

#6 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:17 PM

Gluten can be in pretty much everything but there are brands of things we can have. Lipsticks/cosmetics/soaps/shampoos/lotions, etc. The smallest bit can cause us reactions so it is important to knock out every possibility. You can still have alot of "normal" food.
This site will be a tremendous help to you. Many people on here know the great brands we can have.
There are a # of brands that will clearly indicate the presence of gluten on their label in the form of wheat,rye,barley, oats. With those brands, their products are safe unless that is stated.
For the brands that will not do that you pretty much have to have a phone in hand because gluten can be hidden under many ingredients.
If you check out the safe and forbidden lists on here that will also help you out.
Have you been tested for celiac? Fibro. is connected with celiac too.

Medications can be a concern when it comes to gluten but there are many lists you can get of gluten free meds.

The Delphi Product list will probably be a help to you. celiac3270 will send it to you if you like...there is a thread about it in the product section. It is 79 pages long and has foods, drinks, meds, products that are gluten free. Given, it will not cover everything but it is a tremendous help :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#7 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:19 PM

They seem to show they have gluten in them?

I know, I was confused at first as well. They all appear to have "Gluten-, lactose- and tartrazine-free." near the end of the description. So tylenol is fine :)
Carrie Faith

#8 AlwaysHope

AlwaysHope

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:27 PM

Gluten can be in pretty much everything but there are brands of things we can have. Lipsticks/cosmetics/soaps/shampoos/lotions, etc. The smallest bit can cause us reactions so it is important to knock out every possibility. You can still have alot of "normal" food.
This site will be a tremendous help to you. Many people on here know the great brands we can have.
There are a # of brands that will clearly indicate the presence of gluten on their label in the form of wheat,rye,barley, oats. With those brands, their products are safe unless that is stated.
For the brands that will not do that you pretty much have to have a phone in hand because gluten can be hidden under many ingredients.
If you check out the safe and forbidden lists on here that will also help you out.
Have you been tested for celiac? Fibro. is connected with celiac too.

Medications can be a concern when it comes to gluten but there are many lists you can get of gluten free meds.

The Delphi Product list will probably be a help to you. celiac3270 will send it to you if you like...there is a thread about it in the product section. It is 79 pages long and has foods, drinks, meds, products that are gluten free. Given, it will not cover everything but it is a tremendous help :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank up as well Kaiti. I have been doing a lot of reading. I was on another forum for FM and it was there I learned about Celiac from other members.

My husband is about 40 lbs under weight and he eats like a horse! From some of the other symptoms we suspect that he may have this.

I am about that much OVERWEIGHT and have had FM now for about 15 years.

I am starting to suspect this for me too. Can people be skinny AND overweight and have this illness? (sorry, I am really clueless about this)

I have given up wheat (as well as dairy, caffeine, sugar) already but only a couple months now, not nearly long enough to see a difference.

The next step was to eliminate gluten from both our diets to test this.

I realize that if we do this that if he (or I) take the test it would be a false
negative but we would sooner give this up and test it that way.

I am well on my way to it already as I have had to give up so many things already.

Anyway, thanks again

AlwaysHope

#9 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:30 PM

There are over 200 symptoms with celiac and everyone has different ones. You can have weight gain or loss with it. You don't have to have symptoms at all to have this or you can have completely different ones then the next person.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#10 AlwaysHope

AlwaysHope

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:45 PM

There are over 200 symptoms with celiac and everyone has different ones. You can have weight gain or loss with it. You don't have to have symptoms at all to have this or you can have completely different ones then the next person.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If some people have no symptoms, what drives them to investigate this disease?

AlwaysHope

#11 Merika

Merika

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:52 PM

Some people have no external symptoms, but internal damage. They are discovered when a relative gets diagnosed with celiac, as all immediate family should also be tested then. Also, sometimes other medical procedures are done, and damage in the intestine is noted.

Merika

#12 AlwaysHope

AlwaysHope

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:05 PM

Some people have no external symptoms, but internal damage. They are discovered when a relative gets diagnosed with celiac, as all immediate family should also be tested then. Also, sometimes other medical procedures are done, and damage in the intestine is noted.

Merika

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, that makes sense Merika.

I see that it runs in familes. In our case it doesn't seem that either of my husband's or I's parents or siblings have it.. beyond that I can't say..

AlwaysHope

#13 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 06:53 PM

If your FM requires more than OTC meds, there are generic Ultram tablets out there and they work wonderfully, especially when taken with a Tylenol product. For some reason the two work better together than either separately. Ultram is also not heavily habit forming like some of the other pain meds. I can take one a day or ten a day according to my needs.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#14 drjmarkusic

drjmarkusic

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:27 AM

Advil is gluten-free. There are many prescription meds that are gluten-free. Most of the time your PCP will not know if they are but ask your Pharm and he/she will probably know. If not use the fone and call the pharmaceutical. Jim
Dr. J

"peace. it does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. it means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart." author unknown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: