5 replies to this topic

#1 sherrylynn

sherrylynn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:13 AM

I just put on a 21 mg nicotine patch and just wondered if anyone knows, is the adhesive on the patch gluten free? I am allergic to the adhesive but will put up with the itching and blisters in order to quit smoking. I am too scared not to quit now. I tried the gum and it didn't work and will not use chantix. but just wondered if I will also have to put up with being glutoned until I can stop using the patch.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,720 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:32 AM

Try a different brand of patches. When I was useing patches there were a couple that were fine but some would do the same thing to me. If you have itching and blisters where the medicated portion of the patch is rather than just where the adhesive contacts your skin you might not be able to use them.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:36 AM

I just put on a 21 mg nicotine patch and just wondered if anyone knows, is the adhesive on the patch gluten free? I am allergic to the adhesive but will put up with the itching and blisters in order to quit smoking. I am too scared not to quit now. I tried the gum and it didn't work and will not use chantix. but just wondered if I will also have to put up with being glutoned until I can stop using the patch.

You will not be glutened by a topical patch as gluten does not absorb into the skin. The nicotine is formulated for absorption but, even if there were gluten in a patch (which I doubt), it wouldn't pass through. I used the Nicorette Fast Melts and they worked pretty good. They are gluten free. I am not sure which way is better but I think it depends on the individual person and their smoking habits. I wish you luck but I don't know if I would put up with an allergy and all the itching, etc. if there were something else to try. I have yet to find any gluten in any of the quit smoking products I looked at.

#4 sherrylynn

sherrylynn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:53 AM

Thank you to both of you for replying. I am just allergic to the adhesive. I'm allergic to tape as well, the itching from the patch has gone away. maybe I just needed to get used to it. I still want a cigarett in the worst way but am determined to quit smoking.

Thanks for your help.

sherry.

#5 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:59 AM

Thank you to both of you for replying. I am just allergic to the adhesive. I'm allergic to tape as well, the itching from the patch has gone away. maybe I just needed to get used to it. I still want a cigarett in the worst way but am determined to quit smoking.

Thanks for your help.

sherry.

Good luck, Lady,and hang in there. I feel your pain! :o

#6 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:16 AM

Have you seen those electric cigarettes that put out water vapor instead of smoke? I have friends that have used those and loved them but I don't know if the nicoteine they deliver is gluten-free. It might be somehting else to try anyway. I'm allergic to the adhesives in most bandages too and there's not way I would "just put up with it". Try a different brand or other options before you decide to just put up with it.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: