Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Allergy Test Results Show Nothing, Yet Gluten Irritates Me?

4 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I just came across this forum by a search on google for "gluten dry eyes". I was curious weather there was a known relation between the two.

My eyes have been irritating me with severe dryness for over a year now. Not long ago, I started cutting down my gluten intake to see if it would have any affect on my eyes. Well I believe it did, I am fairly certain my eyes overall have improved significantly since than.

Now about a week ago, I went and got an allergy test, and the results showed absolutely no allergies to gluten or anything else.

Is it possible that gluten could be the cause of my dry eyes, even though no allergy has been detected?

Would love to hear some thoughts on this,

Thank You

Ads by Google:

Hi All,

I just came across this forum by a search on google for "gluten dry eyes". I was curious weather there was a known relation between the two.

My eyes have been irritating me with severe dryness for over a year now. Not long ago, I started cutting down my gluten intake to see if it would have any affect on my eyes. Well I believe it did, I am fairly certain my eyes overall have improved significantly since than.

Now about a week ago, I went and got an allergy test, and the results showed absolutely no allergies to gluten or anything else.

Is it possible that gluten could be the cause of my dry eyes, even though no allergy has been detected?

Would love to hear some thoughts on this,

Thank You

What kind of allergy test did you get? (blood, stool, skin prick???) Did the test look for IgG and IgA as well as IgE mediated allergy reactions?

An autoimmune disease (Sjogren's) causes dry eyes and dryness of other mucous membranes in the body. Before I was diagnosed with celiac disease and began to abstain from gluten, I had dry eyes for years. I needed artificial tears constantly. After a few years of gluten abstinence, I have normal tear production. Sjogren's is highly correlated with gluten intolerance (as are many other autoimmune diseases). So, yes, gluten could cause your dry eye symptoms.

Hi and welcome !

Just to clarify--there's no such thing as a gluten "allergy." You can be allergic to wheat, of course, but celiac is not an allergy--it is an autoimmune disease. And gluten intolerance will not be diagnosed through skin prick allergy testing. It's too bad the allergist who ran the testing did not bother to tell you that.

While I do not have Sjogren's (some folks on here do) I did have very dry, itchy, puffy eyes that sometimes became crusty (gross, I know :blink: --it's called blepharitis) and it was most definitely related to my gluten consumption and it has since disappeared post-DX and gluten-free. No more dry, red or itchy eyes! :)

I have had dry itchy eyes. I have a lot of food and environmental allergies. I am intolerant to gluten and casein. I am cross reactive to yeast and buckwheat. The more allergens I am exposed to the worse my eyes get.

I have tested numerous negative tests, but still had symptoms and problems. In addition there are limitations to any test and you have to get the right tests. Therefore, I think it is probably to your benefit to do whatever works for you and eat what makes you feel good instead of sicker. If it is just a wheat allergy you could get away with some level of wheat. If you have a gluten intolerance or celiac'sjust reducing your intake is still going to cause internal damages even if you do not have noticeable symptoms.