Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Allergy Test Results Show Nothing, Yet Gluten Irritates Me?

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 stri8ed

stri8ed

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:56 PM

Hi All,

I just came across this forum by a search on google for "gluten dry eyes". I was curious weather there was a known relation between the two.

My eyes have been irritating me with severe dryness for over a year now. Not long ago, I started cutting down my gluten intake to see if it would have any affect on my eyes. Well I believe it did, I am fairly certain my eyes overall have improved significantly since than.

Now about a week ago, I went and got an allergy test, and the results showed absolutely no allergies to gluten or anything else.

Is it possible that gluten could be the cause of my dry eyes, even though no allergy has been detected?

Would love to hear some thoughts on this,
Thank You

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 burdee

burdee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:07 PM

Hi All,

I just came across this forum by a search on google for "gluten dry eyes". I was curious weather there was a known relation between the two.

My eyes have been irritating me with severe dryness for over a year now. Not long ago, I started cutting down my gluten intake to see if it would have any affect on my eyes. Well I believe it did, I am fairly certain my eyes overall have improved significantly since than.

Now about a week ago, I went and got an allergy test, and the results showed absolutely no allergies to gluten or anything else.

Is it possible that gluten could be the cause of my dry eyes, even though no allergy has been detected?

Would love to hear some thoughts on this,
Thank You

What kind of allergy test did you get? (blood, stool, skin prick???) Did the test look for IgG and IgA as well as IgE mediated allergy reactions?

An autoimmune disease (Sjogren's) causes dry eyes and dryness of other mucous membranes in the body. Before I was diagnosed with celiac disease and began to abstain from gluten, I had dry eyes for years. I needed artificial tears constantly. After a few years of gluten abstinence, I have normal tear production. Sjogren's is highly correlated with gluten intolerance (as are many other autoimmune diseases). So, yes, gluten could cause your dry eye symptoms.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:48 PM

Hi and welcome !

Just to clarify--there's no such thing as a gluten "allergy." You can be allergic to wheat, of course, but celiac is not an allergy--it is an autoimmune disease. And gluten intolerance will not be diagnosed through skin prick allergy testing. It's too bad the allergist who ran the testing did not bother to tell you that.

While I do not have Sjogren's (some folks on here do) I did have very dry, itchy, puffy eyes that sometimes became crusty (gross, I know :blink: --it's called blepharitis) and it was most definitely related to my gluten consumption and it has since disappeared post-DX and gluten-free. No more dry, red or itchy eyes! :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 viviendoparajesus

viviendoparajesus

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:40 AM

I have had dry itchy eyes. I have a lot of food and environmental allergies. I am intolerant to gluten and casein. I am cross reactive to yeast and buckwheat. The more allergens I am exposed to the worse my eyes get.

I have tested numerous negative tests, but still had symptoms and problems. In addition there are limitations to any test and you have to get the right tests. Therefore, I think it is probably to your benefit to do whatever works for you and eat what makes you feel good instead of sicker. If it is just a wheat allergy you could get away with some level of wheat. If you have a gluten intolerance or celiac'sjust reducing your intake is still going to cause internal damages even if you do not have noticeable symptoms.
Misdiagnosed - IBS, TMJ, eczema, KP, etc
Real Diagnosis - Gluten & Casein (milk protein) Intolerance, Cross Reactivity to Yeast & Buckwheat
Recommend: Tests: Entero Labs Gluten Sensitivity & Gene Testing
Books: * Allergies by Dr. Carolee Bateson-Koch (digestion, yeast, parasites, body pH...)
* Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms by Dr. Datis Kharrazian (gluten & autoimmune problems)
* Change Your Brain Change Your Life by Dr. Daniel Amen (foods, supplements...)
Supplements: * digestive enzymes, * probiotics (dairy free - Klaire Labs - Pro5)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: