71 replies to this topic

#1 Cattknap

Cattknap

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:03 PM

I have been gluten free for the last 5 months (diagnosed with celiac early in the year). We have very tiny grass mosquitoes that make me miserable every year. I have scars from mosquito bites. I am a gardner and I'm am out in the yard daily. This year, I have been bitten only once and had no reaction...they apparently don't like me now that I am gluten free.

Anyone else with an odd benefit to being gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AzizaRivers

AzizaRivers

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:08 PM

Oddly enough, come to think of it, I haven't gotten a single mosquito bite this season yet. I happened to google "mosquito gluten free" just now, and there are tons of results! Apparently this is a common thing.
Celiac diagnosed October-November 2010 (blood test negative, biopsy inconclusive after gluten-free for 6 weeks, miraculous diet results).

October 2010: Gluten free.
November 2010: No HFCS or artificial sweeteners.
March 2011: Gradually fading out soy.

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:23 PM

I also seem to not be as attractive to bugs as I used to be. I rarely get bit anymore.

Another oddity is that my eyebrows used to stop about 2/3's of the way across and since being gluten-free for a few years they go all the way to where they should end. A little thing, maybe, but it makes a difference.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:31 PM

I have been gluten-free for four months now and notice very few minute differences because I did not feel ill from gluten before. However, I am hopeful that the longer I am gluten free the more I notice things changing that I did not make connections with (i.e. insomnia). One little thing that is evident is my fingernails are perfectly straight rather than riddled with ridges. Small thing, too, but meaningful as it shows I am starting to absorb better! YAY!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

O wow! I have so many strange symptoms I am hoping will disappear (they are mostly vitamin deficiencies I know)

the bug bites? Wow..this would be amazing -- I am eaten alive every year while out in the garden (we live in the countryside)...I'll let you know if I notice a difference. B)

The nail ridges-- I have those on just two fingers.. Oh good..if yours went away, maybe mine will too. Yaay!!

In month 6 gluten-free:
The horrid tinnitis is gone.
The "metallic taste" in my mouth is gone. (Burning tongue still here though)
My skin stopped burning.
My blurry vision & itchy eyelids and itchy skin cleared up. (not my scalp yet)

Thanks for asking--it helps me see the progress! :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 Jenniferxgfx

Jenniferxgfx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:52 PM

Oh man that's amazing. I moved to san francisco California to get away from mosquitoes! (well I moved here for a lot of reasons lol.) I have bad scars from mosquito bites since childhood. I blow up like crazy and scratched in my sleep like my life depended on it.

So many reasons to have figured this out sooner....

glutenfree since 6/2011. sick for 30 years.

borderline blood test, negative biopsy.

SEVERELY sensitive celiac with DH. sensitive to contact and ingestion.

asthma (was severe; improved exponentially after 6/11)

spina bifida & childhood SCI at L4/L5 (possibly complicated by weak bones)

countless fractures and infections.

i once listed over 100 symptoms or conditions that improved or were eliminated after 6/11.

very vegan. and, of course, i've also discovered some other food allergies.

#7 Judy3

Judy3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:12 PM

I'm 7 months gluten free - My odd things that happened (and maybe not so odd but surprising to me) My diabetes has gotten so much better that I'm off medication completely and the flaking and peeling inside my ears has gone away...

yay! I'll have to see about the mosquito's.. hmmm that would be cool!!
*Judy

Food allergies to fish, seafood, tree nuts, aspartame(Equal),flax seed, and many drugs
Stomach issues since childhood
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) age 6-44
Diabetes age 44 to present now going back to Hypoglycemia since gluten free.
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2005 and it's gone now that I'm aspartame and gluten free. Hmmm
Celiac disease- negative test in 2009, positive tests in Nov. 2010
Gluten free started 11/08/2010
Genetic tests positive- DQ2, positive -DQ6 (?) negative- DQ8 11/15/2010

#8 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:09 PM

Yup. Mosquitos don't like me any more. I used to be their favorite treat!
My hair now shines and has body and even curls if its short enough and it also doesn't fall out all the time--whereas for most of my life my hair was thin, no body and lifeless. I thought it was normal to lose a cluster of hair strands each time I washed my hair or brushed it....
Yes fingernail ridges gone.
No more colds, flu, bronchitis!!
My teeth stopped getting caries, plus they actually hardened at long last. My gums now are healthy.
I no longer have irrational, unexplainable panic attacks. I am calm most of the time now.
My so called fibromyalgia went away--especially now that I also take various minerals (cal/mag/zinc) including silicon drops and trace minerals.
My heart no longer races--esp. in concert with taking co-enzyme B complex.
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#9 Harpgirl

Harpgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:18 PM

My hair now shines and has body and even curls if its short enough and it also doesn't fall out all the time--whereas for most of my life my hair was thin, no body and lifeless. I thought it was normal to lose a cluster of hair strands each time I washed my hair or brushed it....

Oooh I hope I get this benefit! You could have been talking about my hair currently in your pre-gluten free description.
Gluten free 6/10/11
Negative blood test for celiac 7/7/11
History, genetics, and response to diet point to celiac anyway.

Syan rest wear
feasceaft funden, he s frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum, weormyndum ah,
ot him ghwylc ara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan. t ws god cyning! -Excerpt from the prologue of Beowulf. :)

#10 Cara in Boston

Cara in Boston

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:47 AM

This is a really weird one - and I couldn't find that much information related to it . . .

For the past several years I've had to get new white t-shirts every couple of months because there would be yellow stains under the arms. Not slightly dingy laundry stains, but dark, yellow stains. Every shirt, within weeks. I know I never had this problem back when I had no other symptoms (before the birth of my second son) . . . I even have lots of well-worn, unstained t-shirts from college in a box in the attic to prove it. I thought my antiperspirant had changed, or my laundry soap, . . . I had no explanation and NO laundry secret (vinegar, baking soda, bleach, etc.) would fix it.

Now, about three months gluten-free, this problem is completely gone.

Interesting about the mosquitoes . . . this would be a HUGE benefit for my son - especially when we go on vacation to the lake. We always come home covered in bites.

Cara

#11 SarahJimMarcy

SarahJimMarcy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:13 AM

We are two months into being gluten free and I think my hair is getting thicker. I'll let my daughter know about the mosquito benefit - they used to love her. Thanks for starting this topic! There are big health benefits with being gluten free but I hadn't stopped to notice the small ones.
Daughter diagnosed with celiac via endoscopy, April, 2011.
Mom, Dad and daughter all go gluten free.
We live in the Twin Cities, MN.

#12 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:40 AM

I have been gluten-free for four months and am somehow more attractive to mosquitoes this year than ever. On the other hand, we have been inundated by the suckers more this year than ever before! Dumb things... :lol:
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#13 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:39 AM

I'm REALLY hoping that happens to me! So far I'm pretty sure my mosquito reactions are much better - I don't have any yet and I have seen a couple out. The true test will come when they are out in full force again. I used to get such bad reactions. My legs are covered in scars from them. Once I counted 54 bites just on the front of my shin and I couldn't even get my pants on my legs were so swollen.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#14 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:50 PM

I dodged a lunch outing I didn't want to go to. :D
Michigan

#15 Harpgirl

Harpgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:58 PM

I dodged a lunch outing I didn't want to go to. :D

:lol:
Gluten free 6/10/11
Negative blood test for celiac 7/7/11
History, genetics, and response to diet point to celiac anyway.

Syan rest wear
feasceaft funden, he s frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum, weormyndum ah,
ot him ghwylc ara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan. t ws god cyning! -Excerpt from the prologue of Beowulf. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: