71 replies to this topic

#46 Harpgirl

Harpgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:12 AM

we do that when we go camping: chuck a couple of dryer sheets into the tent. seems to work well. except now i get sleepy in the laundry soap aisle LOL ;)

we went camping over memorial day weekend and EVERYBODY found a tick on them at one point or another except me! and i didn't get one single bug bite of any kind!! woohooo! thanx for bringing this up. nice to look at the 'good' side (b/c everybody glutened the krap out of me all weekend - lesson LEARNED!!! byogff and keep it under lock and key!!!)

:lol: Thanks for the tip!

I'm rediscovering fresh fruits all over again. Ones that I normally wouldn't bother with because it was too much trouble to cut up and store. And they would go bad before I got around to eating them. I didn't realize how much processed foods I was eating! :blink: I just cut up a watermelon today for the first time in years. I was soooo good! Juicy and sweet! :D But I actually remember it being sweeter when I was a kid. Maybe it's because this one is seedless. The seedless ones are all I can seem to find around here. <_< The cantelopes though... Mmmmmm! :P
Gluten free 6/10/11
Negative blood test for celiac 7/7/11
History, genetics, and response to diet point to celiac anyway.

Syan rest wear
feasceaft funden, he s frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum, weormyndum ah,
ot him ghwylc ara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan. t ws god cyning! -Excerpt from the prologue of Beowulf. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:05 PM

for years, every spring (when the days get longer, and all of a sudden our skin is getting more sun exposure) I would get a rash of red bumps all over my hands and arms. They were never itchy or painful, or anything like that. I went gluten- free last August-- this spring I still had a few bumps show up, but NOTHING compared to what it was like in years past.
and, it seems, when I have gotten glutened recently, the bumps seem to look worse then the day before.
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#48 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:13 PM

Healing takes place in all the body systems. Look at Sara (POPPI) and her triumph! It will happen for you, too!!

You're so sweet. :D

I'm not sure if we are allowed to talk about this here but one of the nice benefits of having more energy is that I'm not too tired for sexytime any more.

Of course I glutened myself on Father's Day helping my son with a s'more (this was the last day of gluten in the house, we went 100% gluten free on Monday - go figure) so I'm a mess right now but it's been nice having the energy to devote to that important part of our relationship.

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

#49 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:43 AM

Sara you can still have s'mores but make them with gluten free chocolate chip cookies!
YUM, YUM, YUM, even better!
Michigan

#50 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,369 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:55 AM

I'm not sure if we are allowed to talk about this here but one of the nice benefits of having more energy is that I'm not too tired for sexytime any more.

Well, we talk about poop, hemorrhoids, vomit :lol: ...why not about something as wonderful as sex???!! :lol:

To be even more frank, both men and women can have "intimacy issues" associated with celiac--(it affects every body system and delicate tissues, hormone levels , etc.) and some people have severe pelvic pain as a result of celiac as well--so, if they also disappear after going gluten-free-- then people can resume that part of their lives as well. :)

And BTW, I must have missed this development somehow--CONGRATS on a 100% gluten-free house! I am happy for all of you!! :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#51 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:01 AM

Sara you can still have s'mores but make them with gluten free chocolate chip cookies!
YUM, YUM, YUM, even better!

That sounds good! I use the kinnikinnick s'moreables (gluten-free graham crackers). They are great. On Sunday night my husband had taken the wee one in to bed and my son wanted help with his s'more so without thinking I helped him squish it and then went back to eating my own. I had that "oh NO!" sinking feeling that I had messed up as I was licking the marshmallow off my fingers. Sure enough the stomach rumbling started an hour later.

Sara

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

#52 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:03 AM

Well, we talk about poop, hemorrhoids, vomit :lol: ...why not about something as wonderful as sex???!! :lol:

To be even more frank, both men and women can have "intimacy issues" associated with celiac--(it affects every body system and delicate tissues, hormone levels , etc.) and some people have severe pelvic pain as a result of celiac as well--so, if they also disappear after going gluten-free-- then people can resume that part of their lives as well. :)

And BTW, I must have missed this development somehow--CONGRATS on a 100% gluten-free house! I am happy for all of you!! :)

I have had a problem called cytolytic vaginosis for well over a year. It is fairly horrible and makes life somewhat miserable (and sex impossible) for 2 weeks out of every month. Last month is was better and this month.... GONE! :D Yippee!

And yup, we are on day 5 of complete gluten free-ness. Some huge adjustments to be made for sure, my little kids are both in mourning for squishy white bread and campbell's chicken noodle soup. The two older girls head back to Vietnam for the summer in a couple of days so they aren't an issue yet and my oldest son is still eating gluten downstairs as I am taking in to request the bloodwork on Thursday.

Sara

#53 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,369 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:41 AM

I have had a problem called cytolytic vaginosis for well over a year. It is fairly horrible and makes life somewhat miserable (and sex impossible) for 2 weeks out of every month. Last month is was better and this month.... GONE! :D Yippee!

uh-huh....um, I have a suggestion for you...a tip from a GYN and a women's health PT involving probiotics and inflammation in tissues and where to "place them"...works like a charm!!!...um, I'll send you a PM!! ;)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#54 celiacSuzie

celiacSuzie

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

It's been less than a year for me having been gluten-free, but I've noticed, in this short time improvement (not all out cure though) of my low thyroid (hair's growing back & not falling out all the time), more energy, fibro's almost disappeared... most importantly for me, exercise (which I love) is easier!
Not so much b/c I'm in less pain, but I feel like I've got the energy to keep on moving, whereas before, on a gluten-based diet, I'd be half way through a workout & be ready for a nap... sometimes even falling asleep immediately after a full hour workout. Now, I don't get that.
I too have noticed improvements & changes in my nails, hair, skin, ability to taste food, less pain, more mental focus, better rest. :)
Yay for gluten-free!

#55 NutmegCT

NutmegCT

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:44 PM

New member here. About five years ago I tried an experiment where I stopped eating anything with wheat (not gluten free diet - just no wheat products).

My digestive problems slightly improved.

But the big thing I noticed was that I no longer had "hay fever" from grass pollen.

Prior to my giving up wheat, my allergy doctor gave me the "24 pin pricks" sensitivity test. Twenty-three showed nothing; one actually swelled my arm up twice the normal size. That was "grass pollen".

I figure that wheat is a grass, so abstaining from wheat actually let my body recover from its grass sensitivity. Thus, the grass pollen didn't cause nearly the reaction it used to.

Just thought someone might like to know.

Tom in CT

#56 Jungle

Jungle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

I never have to eat another piece of store bought birthday cake with the inch of gag me icing again just to be polite.

And at potlucks etc. I don't have to wait to eat because I've brought my own food I can eat when I am ready.

#57 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,369 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:58 AM

I never have to eat another piece of store bought birthday cake with the inch of gag me icing again just to be polite.

:lol: :lol: yuck....and no more of those "pink and blue icing roses" either...

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#58 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:07 AM

:lol: :lol: yuck....and no more of those "roses" either...

:lol: Too funny! Or the lettering on those fake cakes with gag icing and brutal roses that is spelled incorrectly such as "Congratulation's" or "Hapy Brithday!" You know those functions where there are about 50 tables and one is called up at a time to serve yourselves? My husband and I inevitably have been either dead last or second last for some reason. Maybe next time I could pull out my own food, sit at the table and act like a glutton in front of all the other poor saps who must wait their turn. (I actually have not been to such a function since gluten-free nor would I, anyway, but to think about eating in front of hundreds of starving business people dressed in suits and gowns who are acting fake/prim/proper is sort of fun in a morbid way.) ;) Don't get me started on those functions... :lol:
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#59 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:30 PM

for years, every spring (when the days get longer, and all of a sudden our skin is getting more sun exposure) I would get a rash of red bumps all over my hands and arms. They were never itchy or painful, or anything like that. I went gluten- free last August-- this spring I still had a few bumps show up, but NOTHING compared to what it was like in years past.
and, it seems, when I have gotten glutened recently, the bumps seem to look worse then the day before.

the red bumps/ rash have made thier appearance... I apparently glutened myself good last week (with either Private Selection (Fred Meyer) ice cream or Fred Meyer yogurt, of all things....grrr...) my left arm (as I'm the car driver, that's the one that gets the most sun exposure), from my wrist to my elbow looks like 35 mosquitoes attacked it (so, I can kinda relate to you all's talk about them buggers!) plus a few above my elbow and on my hand. At least it doesn't hrut too bad. grrrr... live and learn!
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#60 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:35 PM

And at potlucks etc. I don't have to wait to eat because I've brought my own food I can eat when I am ready.

That's a VERY good one--- I'll have to remember that one!

with my husband having a physical disability, I used to either get food for him first which ws okay with me... he is a slow eater, plus by getting his food first, I could see was available so I could know what I wanted to get when I went back for myself) or carry two plates and get food for both of us at the same time-- which of course would hold the line up.
So, if I bring my own food, all I hafta do is get his food, then I could sit down and eat!- sounds good to me! :) (especailly if i bring something to eat that would make EVERYONE else drool! :)... turn about is fair play, right?!?! :) :))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: