27 replies to this topic

#1 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:34 PM

This is rant, because I am so ticked off I can spit!
Dadgum it, I have avoided all the gluten free processed stuff for over a year now and 3 days ago I thought I should have had some healing so I thought I would try again. WRONG! I had a bowl of gluten free rice chex with my usual almond milk.
Went down ok, but later that evening came down with the D big time, had it most of that night, most of the next morning. Stomach was sore, felt tired and achey. That lasted all that day, woke up this morning with pain between the shoulder blades that have lasted all day long, have run a low grade fever all day and I have a little blister on the tip of my tongue that has evolved into a swollen tongue and swelling under it and my lower jaw, and just in the last couple of hours have developed a blister on the roof of my mouth. Needless to say the lower half of my face hurts. But hay, the bright side is that I haven't developed any anxiety and/or depression like I used to. :D But that might happen tomorrow, who knows. Just, I would love to have some cereal in the mornings. :(

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:45 PM

Owie owie owie. That pain between the shoulder blades is a big one for me too. It lasts for a couple of weeks when I get glutened. Big hugs, sorry you feel icky.

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

Oh no! Sorry to hear this!! :( Crap! ((HUG))

I eat the gluten-free RICE Chex and seem to do okay and I'm pretty sensitive....wonder why you got hit so badly??

gosh, I hope you recover quickly!!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:56 PM

I tried all the gluten fee chex cereals a year ago and every single one did this to me. I was hoping that I had healed enough I could tolerate it but nope. So, I guess i'll stick with what I do know works for me and no more experimenting. :(
It's tickin me off so bad I feel like cussin, so here goes! Dadgum it dadgum it, dadgum it, dadbless it, son of a biscuit eater and God bless a milk cow! Whew! Feel a little bit better but not much. :D And thanks guys for the well wishes. :)

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

#5 Judy3

Judy3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:09 PM

I'm sorry you don't feel well and that it was Chex... I eat them all the time and can't imagine if I couldn't.. :unsure:

Feel better!!
*Judy

Food allergies to fish, seafood, tree nuts, aspartame(Equal),flax seed, and many drugs
Stomach issues since childhood
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) age 6-44
Diabetes age 44 to present now going back to Hypoglycemia since gluten free.
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2005 and it's gone now that I'm aspartame and gluten free. Hmmm
Celiac disease- negative test in 2009, positive tests in Nov. 2010
Gluten free started 11/08/2010
Genetic tests positive- DQ2, positive -DQ6 (?) negative- DQ8 11/15/2010

#6 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:05 PM

So sorry it zapped you so badly! If I ever find a gluten-free cereal that seems really safe, I swear I'm going to put it up here so darn fast!

Hope it passes soon, and the depression gives you a miss this time.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#7 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:02 AM

I guess there is a bright side. It means that your usual diet has been super gluten free for you to be able to react so seriously to something that really doesn't have all that much cc. I can't eat the rice chex either, and the last time I tried my diet wasn't as free of cc as it is now. I don't know how I'd react if I tried it again.

The last time I tried something processed I got a free sample of a name brand cookie at a celiac support group. I didn't think that it would hurt to have one bite, just to try it. Ha, ha.

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:09 AM

It's tickin me off so bad I feel like cussin, so here goes! Dadgum it dadgum it, dadgum it, dadbless it, son of a biscuit eater and God bless a milk cow! Whew! Feel a little bit better but not much. :D And thanks guys for the well wishes. :)

Wowzers! That must be cussin..Texas style! :lol: ...I admit, I have used words a LOT WORSE than that when I feel lousy(blushing) and they could not be printed here. :lol:

I hope you feel better quickly. I experimented last week with a Snickers bar since everyone seems to think they are okay...what a mistake!! 5 days of skin eruptions, anxiety, insomnia, racing heart...you know the drill...*&^%$#@! :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#9 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:29 PM

Wowzers! That must be cussin..Texas style! :lol: ...I admit, I have used words a LOT WORSE than that when I feel lousy(blushing) and they could not be printed here. :lol:

I hope you feel better quickly. I experimented last week with a Snickers bar since everyone seems to think they are okay...what a mistake!! 5 days of skin eruptions, anxiety, insomnia, racing heart...you know the drill...*&^%$#@! :lol:

:P Actually I can cuss pretty bad to the point I can make a sailor blush. :D But since this is a family friendly forum I thought I ought to tone it down a mite. Those were my granmother's words for cussin. She was so religious I wasn't even allowed to say dang in front of her.

And today the backpain is gone but replaced with an all over body ache, itchiness,tingling and some numbness in random areas, slight all day headache and very fatigued. Usually I can drive 8 to 10 hours a day but today I could only manage 6. Thankfully I have a lot of time on this load. But happy to say no anxiety or depression which is a good thing. :)

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

:P Actually I can cuss pretty bad to the point I can make a sailor blush. :D But since this is a family friendly forum I thought I ought to tone it down a mite. Those were my granmother's words for cussin. She was so religious I wasn't even allowed to say dang in front of her.

I THOUGHT maybe you were being "restrained" for the forum. :lol: yes, making a sailor blush would be easy for me, too....ah well, we have every right to be pissed off when glutened and feeling yucky. ;)

Any better today, hon??

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#11 padma

padma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:34 PM

I can't eat the Chex either. I think I have tried everything I could find available at the store (not on the internet) and I am reacting to every one. It is very frustrating. I finally threw them out so I couldn't talk my self into them being ok.
I have been making steamed organic brown rice and putting either organic almond mild or organic soy milk on it. It is really delicious. Someone suggested we wash the rice really well, so I have been doing that and not having any reactions. Thanks to whomever said that.
I made a chickpea flour and rice flour recipe yesterday, a dosa recipe someone posted. It was really delicious. I had a reaction though, I think it was the rice flour. Next time I am going to try to make my own flour with rice I wash and dry first.
Don't feel too bad about eating something you react to. I have been gluten free for 10 years and I am still learning. Since I quit eating any "gluten free" foods I have quit having stomach aches and d. and have lost weight for the first time in years. That is a double wow. I think those extra carbs were packing it on.

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:39 PM

The gluten free Chex cereals are made in a separate dedicated facility--so I am wondering--are you SURE it couldn't be anything else? (I'm not saying you aren't hurtin, hon--I'm just trying to help you sort it out)

This guy has an opinion about the BHT they use as a preservative in the chex--as opposed to it being the gluten. see what you think.

http://gluten-free-b...ontroversy.html

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#13 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

The gluten free Chex cereals are made in a separate dedicated facility--so I am wondering--are you SURE it couldn't be anything else? (I'm not saying you aren't hurtin, hon--I'm just trying to help you sort it out)

Yes maam, back when I first tried all the chex cereals it was during my elimination diet. And the other day when I tried this cereal I didn't have anything other than my usual stuff I eat every day. Nothing new for a good month until I had these chex, then bam.

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:46 PM

Yes maam, back when I first tried all the chex cereals it was during my elimination diet. And the other day when I tried this cereal I didn't have anything other than my usual stuff I eat every day. Nothing new for a good month until I had these chex, then bam.

look at the link I just posted--maybe it's the BHT?? Are you sensitive to preservatives??

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#15 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

This guy has an opinion about the BHT they use as a preservative in the chex--as opposed to it being the gluten. see what you think.

http://gluten-free-b...ontroversy.html

I just read that article. That is very interesting. Now to find other foods with BHT and give that a try. Not really looking forward to it but I would like to know.
Thanks for that Irishheart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: