27 replies to this topic

#16 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:50 PM

I just read that article. That is very interesting. Now to find other foods with BHT and give that a try. Not really looking forward to it but I would like to know.
Thanks for that Irishheart.

Just a thought...! hope it's the answer!!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:21 AM

The gluten free Chex cereals are made in a separate dedicated facility--so I am wondering--are you SURE it couldn't be anything else?

The problem is that the separate dedicated facility is only as good as the raw ingredients that are brought into it. I buy my grains whole and sort and wash them before eating. I have found gluten grains in everything. I have looked through a lot of grains, and I don't doubt that the amount of gluten grains I find are much below 20 ppm in most cases, but for a super sensitive, finding any gluten grains is too much.

In fields they grow different grains in rotation, there are weeds of previous grains, there are gluten grains grown in adjacent fields, they use shared harvesting, storage, and transportation equipment. Things get too mixed up for super sensitives long before these raw materials get into the dedicated facilities.

#18 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:23 AM

Usually I can drive 8 to 10 hours a day but today I could only manage 6. Thankfully I have a lot of time on this load.

Are you a truck driver? I totally respect you for being able to manage this on a super gluten free diet. I was feeling proud managing to go to my nieces wedding 8 hours away.

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:44 AM

The problem is that the separate dedicated facility is only as good as the raw ingredients that are brought into it. I buy my grains whole and sort and wash them before eating. I have found gluten grains in everything. I have looked through a lot of grains, and I don't doubt that the amount of gluten grains I find are much below 20 ppm in most cases, but for a super sensitive, finding any gluten grains is too much.

In fields they grow different grains in rotation, there are weeds of previous grains, there are gluten grains grown in adjacent fields, they use shared harvesting, storage, and transportation equipment. Things get too mixed up for super sensitives long before these raw materials get into the dedicated facilities.

I understand all that and you are probably right. That's the "maddening part" of trying to use so-called "gluten free products". From what I have learned, there is no such thing as 100% gluten free because of cross-contamination, no matter how many precautions are taken.

I also have some trouble with things considered "gluten free" and react to them as well. Much to my dismay. :unsure:

I was just suggesting other factors that may be at play. TXgal works hard at keeping her diet really clean, I know--- and she really wanted that bowl of cereal :) for some variety.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#20 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:29 AM

I have been waiting for a year to try gluten free rice chex, and goshdarned if I haven't reacted badly to them too. Not a gluten reaction, but bad D - the chex are I think the only "new" addition to my diet. I had already decided not to have any this morning before I saw this thread. Will report back on possible BHT reaction.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#21 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:22 AM

I tried all the gluten fee chex cereals a year ago and every single one did this to me. I was hoping that I had healed enough I could tolerate it but nope. So, I guess i'll stick with what I do know works for me and no more experimenting. :(
It's tickin me off so bad I feel like cussin, so here goes! Dadgum it dadgum it, dadgum it, dadbless it, son of a biscuit eater and God bless a milk cow! Whew! Feel a little bit better but not much. :D And thanks guys for the well wishes. :)

Well...Golly! Gosh! My goodness sakes!

Hope your feeling better today!

( that was a really poor attempt at cussing!)

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#22 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

I have been waiting for a year to try gluten free rice chex, and goshdarned if I haven't reacted badly to them too. Not a gluten reaction, but bad D - the chex are I think the only "new" addition to my diet. I had already decided not to have any this morning before I saw this thread. Will report back on possible BHT reaction.

"BHA, BHT, and TBHQ

BHA and BHT have been used, as food additives, in food products, with some restrictions, since the late 1950s. TBHQ is a more recent addition to the list of antioxidants allowed in food, in Europe, it became an accepted antioxidant for food use in 2004.

Their full names are:

BHA: Butylated hydroxyanisole (E320)
BHT: Butylated hydroxytoluene (E321)
TBHQ: Tertiary-butyl hydroquinone (E319)

There is nothing natural about BHA, BHT, and TBHQ. They are synthetic compounds produced in laboratories. BHT was initially developed as an antioxidant for use with petroleum and rubber products.

All three are used as antioxidants in a large number of foods that contain oil and fat. The use of BHT has declined whilst the use of BHA has increased; this is primarily because BHA is more stable at higher temperatures. TBHQ is now appearing more and more in the products that we eat but, at the moment, BHA is still the most commonly used one of these three.

Whilst considered safe for human consumption as food additives they do cause, some people, problems.

Conditions that have been linked with them include:

ADHD, Allergies, Angioedema, Dermatitis, Excessive sweating, Headache, Joint Pain, Rhinitis, Sleepiness, Stomach problems, Urticaria, Weight Gain.

The widespread use of BHA, BHT, and TBHQ in foods, food packaging and non food products makes them exceedingly difficult to avoid."

Could be this stuff is the problem--the more I read!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#23 shayre

shayre

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

If it helps...I eat Nature's Path organic "Crispy Rice"...like Rice Krispies. I eat it every morning, and while I haven't gotten ALL of the kinks out of my diet...I've been good with them. I may have a problem when I consume too much rice in general, but I do not have issues with the cereal. They are pretty good, and I usually mix berries or bananas and almond milk in with them. I am learning the hard way that I appear to be very sensitive, so maybe you will be okay too? I buy them at Whole Foods, but here is the website www.naturespath.com. If any of you eat this and have a reaction...PLEASE DO TELL! I think that you'd be okay though...

#24 Sarah Alli

Sarah Alli

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

I've had to quit the chex too. I find they make me very shaky and weak- almost a hypoglycemic reaction but I only have it with the chex, not when I eat other sweet things like homemade cookies, so I don't think it's actual hypoglycemia.
It's a bummer, too. Cinnamon chex are really delicious.
Sick and tired of being sick and tired.

#25 Marz

Marz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:27 AM

If it helps...I eat Nature's Path organic "Crispy Rice"...like Rice Krispies. I eat it every morning, and while I haven't gotten ALL of the kinks out of my diet...I've been good with them. I may have a problem when I consume too much rice in general, but I do not have issues with the cereal. They are pretty good, and I usually mix berries or bananas and almond milk in with them. I am learning the hard way that I appear to be very sensitive, so maybe you will be okay too? I buy them at Whole Foods, but here is the website www.naturespath.com. If any of you eat this and have a reaction...PLEASE DO TELL! I think that you'd be okay though...

I've been eating the Nature's Path rice and corn cereals, and no reaction so far :) I mix currents, nuts and flaked coconut with it, tastes awesome :) Would also be interested if anyone reacts to this?
Feb 2010 - Start of continuous GIT problems and panic attacks
July 2010 - Blood and biopsy -ve, went gluten free after testing which completely relieved symptoms
July 2011 - 1 year gluten free, food intolerances (Chicken, eggs, olives, goat milk) gone!

2012 - Soy no longer a problem
Gluten intolerant

#26 Marz

Marz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:30 AM

Read through some of the comments on that BHA link before, and one of the commentors said they got this response from the company:

"We apologize that are our first response did not fully answer your question. Our Gluten Free Chex cereals are not produced in a gluten free facility. We do, however, ensure against cross-contamination with gluten-containing ingredients and products through thorough cleaning and sanitation processes, including testing between gluten and gluten free product runs based on FDA proposed regulations. Our Gluten Free Betty Crocker mixes, however, are produced in a gluten free processing facility."

This was Jan 2010, so maybe it's changed since then, but "gluten-free facility" and "Cleaning and sanitation process" is a completely different ballgame. Testing only picks up gluten above a certain amount, and the more sensitive the more expensive the test, so possibly there's < 20ppm gluten, which means they can happily label the cereal "Gluten free".

Other comments said "My son has a anaphylactic allergy to wheat, eats chex without any reaction bla bla bla", and others said "I had a months bout of DH after eating Chex, it is *not* gluten free"." DH being a specific reaction to gluten, can't be blamed on the BHT :)

Very interesting about the BHT - going to check all the gluten-free items I've had a "reaction" to... Also explains why I can't eat processed food without getting a stomach ache D:
Feb 2010 - Start of continuous GIT problems and panic attacks
July 2010 - Blood and biopsy -ve, went gluten free after testing which completely relieved symptoms
July 2011 - 1 year gluten free, food intolerances (Chicken, eggs, olives, goat milk) gone!

2012 - Soy no longer a problem
Gluten intolerant

#27 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:51 PM

Read through some of the comments on that BHA link before, and one of the commentors said they got this response from the company:

"We apologize that are our first response did not fully answer your question. Our Gluten Free Chex cereals are not produced in a gluten free facility. We do, however, ensure against cross-contamination with gluten-containing ingredients and products through thorough cleaning and sanitation processes, including testing between gluten and gluten free product runs based on FDA proposed regulations. Our Gluten Free Betty Crocker mixes, however, are produced in a gluten free processing facility."

This was Jan 2010, so maybe it's changed since then, but "gluten-free facility" and "Cleaning and sanitation process" is a completely different ballgame. Testing only picks up gluten above a certain amount, and the more sensitive the more expensive the test, so possibly there's < 20ppm gluten, which means they can happily label the cereal "Gluten free".

Other comments said "My son has a anaphylactic allergy to wheat, eats chex without any reaction bla bla bla", and others said "I had a months bout of DH after eating Chex, it is *not* gluten free"." DH being a specific reaction to gluten, can't be blamed on the BHT :)

Very interesting about the BHT - going to check all the gluten-free items I've had a "reaction" to... Also explains why I can't eat processed food without getting a stomach ache D:

Those are very different distinctions indeed. uh-oh....I mentioned earlier in this post that the gluten-free Chex were made in a "dedicated gluten-free facility" based on what another member said(a very well-informed "pro" :) on here told us in another post about Chex cereal --and he seems to be quite knowledgable about such things)

I have a "heart flutter, racy feeling" after the Cinnamon Chex myself--not sure why? but tolerate the rice and corn ones all right. Too bad, the cinnamon ones are quite tasty..... :(

How will we ever know?--as long as that <20 ppm designation is allowed..... :unsure:

......I have read the blog "GFE" --

http://glutenfreeeas...rocker-central/

and she says her trip to General Mills last November for a gluten-free summit revealed that the gluten-free Chex are made in a separate SECTION--not a separate facility. :blink:

Just FYI.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#28 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:58 AM

Well, i've tried a few things with BHT and it hasn't bothered me one bit. Then a week ago I tried the Gluten free honey nut chex. Big d, and same old gluten symptoms.
So, it's not the BHT. But at least i have found a couple of cereals I can eat with no reactions. That is the Wlamart brand toasted rice in the blue and white box and the shure fine brand rice cereal.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: