32 replies to this topic

#1 Poppi

Poppi

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:28 PM

I don't know if this belongs in "Coping With" but there is no "Celebrating" section so I'm putting this here.

2 1/2 months ago I could not walk my youngest son to school. 6 blocks was too far for me. My arthritis was crippling, I had no energy, every part of my body hurt. SIX BLOCKS was beyond me. I was terrified at the thought of living another 60 years in this body becoming more and more crippled.

Today I completed my intro level sea kayak certification. 6 hours in a kayak paddling against wind in ocean swell. Wet exits, eskimo rescues, using my upper body strength the lift and turn kayaks in the water and climb in and out of the boats. It was exhausting but I am so proud of myself. I was the only woman in the course and the other 3 participants were military men in great shape (my husband and 2 coworkers). I kept up with them all day and did everything that they did. Occasionally it took a couple of tries but I did it.

The 2 coworkers and the instructors were horrified at lunch when I was telling them what I can't have because of celiac but it didn't phase me at all. Go ahead and eat your sandwich, drink your beer ... being gluten free has given me a life I always envied in others.

I'm so happy right now. Exhausted and sore but happy.

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bigbird16

bigbird16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:35 PM

How awesome, Sara!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!:D
Migraines, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, anxiety, paranoia, joint pain, vivid nightmares, exhaustion & lethargy, brain fog, bloat, GI issues--all gone or significantly reduced since dietary changes were made

Gluten-free (Nov. 2008), dairy-free (June 2009), soy-free (Aug. 2009), all-grains-and-grasses-but-rice-free (Nov. 2011); double HLA-DQ7

"'Always remember, Bilbo, when your heart wants lifting, think of pleasant things.' 'Eggs, bacon, a good full pipe, my garden at twilight....'" (The Hobbit, animated movie, 1977)

#3 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:41 PM

Super Woman!

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:49 PM

Awesome!
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 glutenfreegirl

glutenfreegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:55 PM

I am so proud for you....you give me hope and inspiration.....please share all of your success stories that are to come....I look forward to hearing the next one.....
celiac blood test positve 11/10
stool test postive 2009

#6 Harpgirl

Harpgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:55 PM

Awesome job! Kayaking is not easy! Keep it up! :D
Gluten free 6/10/11
Negative blood test for celiac 7/7/11
History, genetics, and response to diet point to celiac anyway.

Syan rest wear
feasceaft funden, he s frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum, weormyndum ah,
ot him ghwylc ara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan. t ws god cyning! -Excerpt from the prologue of Beowulf. :)

#7 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:56 PM

Very Cool! You are an inspiration for all women, challenged with health issues or not! And, I'm sure, an inspiration to those looking for the light at the end of tunnel. :D
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#8 Greenling

Greenling

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:12 PM

Wow, that's really cool. Congratulations on the certification! And how amazing to feel soooo much better in such a short time. :)

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,375 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

WHOOHOO! You go, girl!! Major kudos!! :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#10 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:57 PM

Thank you so much. Every part of my body hurts right now but it was worth it. We're looking at doing our level 1 skills certification in August and that is two 8 hour days in a row.

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

#11 Newtoitall

Newtoitall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:01 PM

wow that's exactly what I want!

congrats!

lol beer+fitness = lolol

teach them how to be healthier =D

Gluten Free since Xmas 2010

Current Auto Immune Diseases:

Celiac Disease, Interstitial Cystitis, IBS, Dermatitis Herpetiformis, I'm playing life on Hard Mode.

#12 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:29 PM

This makes me so happy! Congrats! :D
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#13 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:01 PM

That is totally AWESOME!!!!!! You go, girl!!!! B) :D
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#14 11475

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:12 PM

Congratulations - that's amazing and you should be so proud. Great for us all (members new AND old to the boards) to read about such successes! Really happy for you :)

#15 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:44 AM

Amazing! You are indeed an inspiration.

Good luck in August, I am sure you will do well!
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: