Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Do I Need To Worry About Salt?

8 posts in this topic

Is salt something I should worry about being contaminated?

Like before we buy it even.

Ads by Google:

No. Don't worry about salt. :) Reading your tag, I'd worry about the small amounts of lactose free milk. Have you tried coconut milk, in the can, without preservatives and additives (from oriental or indian grocers)? Good luck.

Regular table salt has dextrose added to stabilize the iodine, which is an issue if you are avoiding corn. It can have flow agents added as well. We use celtic salt.

We have had problems with salt. I think that only the most sensitive of super sensitives have to worry about it. It ended up that they were using a gluten containing soap to clean out their lines. They have since switched brands. To find out you can stop eating the salt for a few days and then eat it again. If the reaction was tiny, then eat more than the usual amount.

Idodized salt can irritate DH if you have it. I cut it out because of that but then had to add it back in once my skin rash healed to keep my thyroid healthy. I still mostly use Sea salt and Kosher salt.

If you do decide to go for sea salt, to avoid the dextrose or anti-caking agents in so much of the iodized salt, just make sure to up your sea food intake significantly or find a good iodine supplement.

I did react to contamination in my salt, but I also react to pretty much all processed food, too. If you are eating processed food without much trouble, your sensitivity level is probably at a level where salt is probably not going to be an issue. :)

If, on the other hand, processed food is a real problem for you? Steph's suggestion to check it is pretty much exactly what we did once salt was suspected.

Salt is not a problem.

richard

Idodized salt can irritate DH if you have it. I cut it out because of that but then had to add it back in once my skin rash healed to keep my thyroid healthy. I still mostly use Sea salt and Kosher salt.

Interesting, I wonder if that is what is keeping my scalp kinda irritated, thanks for the info =D