7 replies to this topic

#1 Newtoitall

Newtoitall

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:31 AM

Is salt something I should worry about being contaminated?
Like before we buy it even.

Gluten Free since Xmas 2010

Current Auto Immune Diseases:

Celiac Disease, Interstitial Cystitis, IBS, Dermatitis Herpetiformis, I'm playing life on Hard Mode.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:02 AM

No. Don't worry about salt. :) Reading your tag, I'd worry about the small amounts of lactose free milk. Have you tried coconut milk, in the can, without preservatives and additives (from oriental or indian grocers)? Good luck.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#3 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:58 PM

Regular table salt has dextrose added to stabilize the iodine, which is an issue if you are avoiding corn. It can have flow agents added as well. We use celtic salt.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#4 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:39 AM

We have had problems with salt. I think that only the most sensitive of super sensitives have to worry about it. It ended up that they were using a gluten containing soap to clean out their lines. They have since switched brands. To find out you can stop eating the salt for a few days and then eat it again. If the reaction was tiny, then eat more than the usual amount.

#5 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:59 AM

Idodized salt can irritate DH if you have it. I cut it out because of that but then had to add it back in once my skin rash healed to keep my thyroid healthy. I still mostly use Sea salt and Kosher salt.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#6 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:36 PM

If you do decide to go for sea salt, to avoid the dextrose or anti-caking agents in so much of the iodized salt, just make sure to up your sea food intake significantly or find a good iodine supplement.

I did react to contamination in my salt, but I also react to pretty much all processed food, too. If you are eating processed food without much trouble, your sensitivity level is probably at a level where salt is probably not going to be an issue. :)

If, on the other hand, processed food is a real problem for you? Steph's suggestion to check it is pretty much exactly what we did once salt was suspected.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#7 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:20 AM

Salt is not a problem.

richard

#8 Newtoitall

Newtoitall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:20 PM

Idodized salt can irritate DH if you have it. I cut it out because of that but then had to add it back in once my skin rash healed to keep my thyroid healthy. I still mostly use Sea salt and Kosher salt.

Interesting, I wonder if that is what is keeping my scalp kinda irritated, thanks for the info =D

Gluten Free since Xmas 2010

Current Auto Immune Diseases:

Celiac Disease, Interstitial Cystitis, IBS, Dermatitis Herpetiformis, I'm playing life on Hard Mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: