This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Updated Toothpaste Question

Newtoitall

Newtoitall Enthusiast

I know there is lots on toothpaste, I've searched it all up, but I am just curious what exact brand and type everyone is using right now and how come?

I'm not really sure what to go with for toothpaste =/

Likely come down to cost I imagine.

I'm just curious who's using specialty toothpaste and who uses stuff from let's say, Walmart.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

I use Crest, Colgate or Aquafresh, all of which are gluten free. My teeth are very sensitive so I must use the sensitive variety.

Skylark Collaborator

Tom's of Maine Fennel because it's the easiest fluoride-free toothpaste to find around here and I like the taste. It's also gluten-free, of course.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Tom's of Maine Fennel because it's the easiest fluoride-free toothpaste to find around here and I like the taste. It's also gluten-free, of course.

I also use Tom's of Maine but the cinnemint flavor. I have also used crest and colgate.

sa1937 Community Regular

I like Colgate Total...at least it's inexpensive and available everywhere.

carefoundry Newbie

I brush with Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap and baking soda. I had to experiment using something homemade because Tom's got too expensive for me and I wanted to avoid as many chemicals as possible. It works, but the soap taste is especially strong.

• 4 weeks later...
energi Newbie

Hi all,

I need to eliminate salicylates and gluten, and I don't want floride in my toothpaste. The toothpaste I currently use is salicylate and floride free but I can't tell if it's gluten free. The ingredients that aren't on the gluten-free safe or not-safe lists are:

sodium lauryl sarcocinate

calcium pyrophosphate

cinnamon flavor

I'm using Cleure cinnamon toothpaste. It's yummy, but again, I do not know it's gluten status as I am only mildly sensitive and have not yet done an elimination diet. Since it doesn't say, I'm figuring that it would not be appropriate for the highly sensitive. Their number for inquiry: 888-883-4276

I called and left a message for them to contact me about these ingredients, and if I hear back, I'll post the result. Please let me know if you already know this or are able to reach them when you call.

btw, I am also trying their deodorant stick (one of those crystal mineral things) and it actually works! This eliminates salicylate and aluminum in my deodorant. It only contains potassium alum. The spray and roll-on types also contain water. Potassium alum is not on the safe or not-safe lists, although many other potassium salts are on the safe list. I did not ask about this when I called.

Thanks,

energi

(Fibromyalgia, toxic levels of mercury and tin, tested as gluten and casein sensitive, hell-bent on living a long time as comfortably as possible) Milk, eggs, and bread are not good for me. I'm allergic to breakfast.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NorthernElf Enthusiast

Aquafresh Sensitive

bartfull Rising Star

Energi, I just read about using MILK OF MAGNESIA, of all things, as a deodorant. They say that even people who needed extra strong deodorant find that this works better. I'm thinking about trying it.

I have been using Arm and Hammer toothpaste. I haven't seen any info on it one way or the other, but I just LOVE that stuff. I used to like their gum too, but I can't find it here in the Black Hills.

If someone comes on here and tells me Arm and Hammer is not gluten free (as I fear they will), I suppose I could use a different brand and mix baking soda with it...

energi Newbie

Hi all,

I need to eliminate salicylates and gluten, and I don't want floride in my toothpaste. The toothpaste I currently use is salicylate and floride free but I can't tell if it's gluten free. The ingredients that aren't on the gluten-free safe or not-safe lists are:

sodium lauryl sarcocinate

calcium pyrophosphate

cinnamon flavor

I'm using Cleure cinnamon toothpaste. It's yummy, but again, I do not know it's gluten status as I am only mildly sensitive and have not yet done an elimination diet. Since it doesn't say, I'm figuring that it would not be appropriate for the highly sensitive. Their number for inquiry: 888-883-4276

I called and left a message for them to contact me about these ingredients, and if I hear back, I'll post the result. Please let me know if you already know this or are able to reach them when you call.

btw, I am also trying their deodorant stick (one of those crystal mineral things) and it actually works! This eliminates salicylate and aluminum in my deodorant. It only contains potassium alum. The spray and roll-on types also contain water. Potassium alum is not on the safe or not-safe lists, although many other potassium salts are on the safe list. I did not ask about this when I called.

Thanks,

energi

(Fibromyalgia, toxic levels of mercury and tin, tested as gluten and casein sensitive, hell-bent on living a long time as comfortably as possible) Milk, eggs, and bread are not good for me. I'm allergic to breakfast.

I received a call back from Cleure. Good news! Everything from them is gluten free!

Roda Rising Star

The boys use colgate the kids strawberry flavor. Up until recently I used Crest. I found some Tom's of Main and decided to try it and loved the way it made my teeth feel. It makes them feel like you just left the dentist. Hubby and kids don't like the taste so I'll buy them the kids Colgate or hubby the Crest.

energi Newbie

Energi, I just read about using MILK OF MAGNESIA, of all things, as a deodorant. They say that even people who needed extra strong deodorant find that this works better. I'm thinking about trying it.

I have been using Arm and Hammer toothpaste. I haven't seen any info on it one way or the other, but I just LOVE that stuff. I used to like their gum too, but I can't find it here in the Black Hills.

If someone comes on here and tells me Arm and Hammer is not gluten free (as I fear they will), I suppose I could use a different brand and mix baking soda with it...

Cool. I'm happy with the Cleure stuff for now (easy application, and I know it works for me), but checked up on the ingredients of the Milk of Magnesia. I would probably go with the original because the mint would be a salicylate issue for me and I don't like the idea of all the added ingredients (like food coloring) in the cherry type.

The Cleure toothpaste has baking soda as a base. I've never liked the taste of baking soda, and could never stomach using it alone, but I can use it with no taste issues. The Arm & Hammer I found had mint and flouride, so it wasn't for me.

energi Newbie

Noticed your signature concerning the floridation of water... I'm using distilled water for drinking and cooking, because tap water was consistently causing me nausea for whatever reason. Filter systems were not enough. The only bottled water I've been getting away with is distilled and SmartWater®. In summer bottled distilled is not acceptable, because all I can taste is the plastic of the bottles; it's like drinking from a wading pool. I purchased a home distiller.

shadowicewolf Proficient

when in doubt you could always use baking soda as a tooth paste :)

Archived