#16 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:40 AM

Thanks every one.
Ok why I only eat 1 meal a day??? I am tired of eating the same crap. I want to go make a grilled cheese like normal people. When I said I dont feel any better I meant I dont feel any different. Nothing was wrong with me before. I would get occasional naus. But that is it. No symptoms. I had a endoscopy twice and blood work. I got it.

I weigh 107. I want to be back at 115. But im only 5'4. I have a tiny boned family. Finish genes I guess.

So here is what I eat per day.....

Dinner around 10 or 11 pm..---salmon and rice, or pork chop and can of pintos, or meat patty and can of baked beans. That is my rotation.
Then I eat a bowl of chex, doritos, candy bars and or chips with dip.
I do take nightly walks late.

ok so I am ready for help that I can really live with.

Thanks so much every one for understanding.

Do you have a night job or something that you eat so late at night? So it sounds like your real issue is that you need to get more variety in your food. Check out the thread that Kareng posted. Also since you don't have any other food intolerances there is no reason why you can't have a grilled cheese sandwhich. Just make it on gluten-free bread. Udi's and Rudi's brands both make great grilled cheese (or so I hear I can't eat cheese but I do eat those breads toasted and their good).

Doritos are not gluten-free AFAIK. If you are still eating gluten you are more liekly to be emotional about this longer and more liekly to crave gluteny foods. Everything else you listed sounds okay--except maybe candy bars that depends on the type and there are not many you can trust to be gluten-free. Why don't you eat any vegetables or fruit? It sounds like you like convience foods that are quick and easy. A can of fruit or a banana is easy to eat. You can get those frozen steamer bags of plain veggies to use for side dishes for your meat or mix up with rice and stir fry.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 FooGirlsMom

FooGirlsMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:45 AM

Hi Val,

I'm feeding myself and 2 kids gluten free and they eat like Kings, seriously. There are so many gluten-free subs that are out there. You just have to know what to buy.

Udi's bread is great. I make grilled cheese sandwiches with them and serve Pacific Foods Tomato Soup with them (I buy the soup at Winco in our are a- discount store).

The kids love Annies gluten-free Mac n Cheese. I get them from an online store on Auto-Ship.

They get chocolate cake (pamelas) and ice cream.

Tinkyada's pasta is wonderful. If you make Lasagna without cooking the noodles first it comes out nice and firm.

That's just the subs for regular gluteny foods.

As other posters mentioned, there are lots of gluten-free foods. But if you are missing the normal stuff, this can help.

One thing I did to make life easier, is to buy Jules' Gluten Free flour, which can be used JUST LIKE regular flour in most recipes. I make brownies, pineapple carrot cake, you name it. She also has e-book recipes.

Celiac is just like anything else...it has to be learned about and managed. Life is not over because gluten is out. There are many restaurants that will accomodate gluten-free diets too.

If I had to make a guess...the reason you are discouraged is that you have not educated yourself to the degree you need to and found the substitutes you need, diet wise, to feel normal. If you don't eat, you are going to feel wacky. Not having support from others is difficult, but not having support for yourself is worse. You aren't spending the time to learn how to feed yourself sweetie. Do yourself a favor and invest the time. We've all been down the same road. Hon, I feed 4 people gluten-free DAILY and have been doing it for the past 8 months on a budget. It can be done. I promise.

Hang in there. Your health is worth it.

FooGirlsMom
When I saw this photo, I thought it truly represented my life prior to being gluten-free. It was like being rooted in place trying to survive a Category 5. Now that I am gluten-free, I feel like I just might make it :)

#18 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:50 AM

Doritos are not gluten-free AFAIK.

Actually, most of them are.

Here's the link for the US: http://www.fritolay....ngredients.html

Frito Lay has recently been making some chips specifically gluten-free. The others have "no gluten ingredients" but may be made on shared lines or factory.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#19 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

Actually, most of them are.

Here's the link for the US: http://www.fritolay....ngredients.html

Frito Lay has recently been making some chips specifically gluten-free. The others have "no gluten ingredients" but may be made on shared lines or factory.

Really, I didn't know that. I just know the last time I checked the nacho ones (about 8 months ago) they had wheat. I haven't checked recently because I can't have dairy anymore and they all have milk. But I found a great substitute in Grande brand Salsa Limon tortilla chips. They're gluten-free and dairy free. They do have MSG for anyone avoiding that. I get them as a rare treat when I'm craving Dorito's.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#20 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:23 AM

Dinner around 10 or 11 pm..---salmon and rice, or pork chop and can of pintos, or meat patty and can of baked beans. That is my rotation.
Then I eat a bowl of chex, doritos, candy bars and or chips with dip.

I would lose my mind on that diet too! You're going to stay light eating only once a day.

You mentioned grilled cheese. Find a good gluten-free bread like Udi's or Rudi's as a treat and make one! Almost all cheeses are gluten-free.

You know all fresh fruits and vegetables are gluten-free, right? Normal (not processed) cheeses, Yoplait brand yogurt, eggs, milk, plain nuts, rice, and potatoes are all gluten-free. So are plain herbs, spices, garlic, and onions. You can cook very much like you used to as long as you're not using seasoning mixes or flour. I don't miss gluten at all when I'm at home because it doesn't really change my cooking much. It's only eating out that's a pain.

Yesterday I had a banana, an fried egg, and a slice of gluten-free bread for breakfast. For lunch I had a cup of yogurt, some cherries, and a handful of cashew clusters I found at Costco that don't have any gluten. Then I made dal, an Indian lentil dish, from scratch with brown rice for dinner. I froze a bunch of it for lunches at work.

#21 bigbird16

bigbird16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

Simple real food ideas:

Turnips (or potatoes) O'Brian--sauteed turnip cubes, onions, garlic, and peppers, bacon, and egg stirred in

Steak with grilled onions, baked potato, and sliced beets

Shrimp or scallops with garlic butter over jasmine rice or romaine lettuce

Baked tilapia with dill, garlic potatoes, and green beans

Stew--meat or chicken, carrots, onions, and other root veggies (parsnips, turnips, rutabegas, etc.) slow cooked until tender

Bell peppers stuffed with ground turkey or meat, rice, and tomatoes

Applegate (uncured and nitrate/nitrite free and of course gluten free) hot dogs cut up and sauteed in olive oil with a side of mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli

I'm Lazy, and on a week night, the last thing I want to do is cook an elaborate meal for myself. I won't make anything that takes more than 20-30 minutes to whip up, unless I can throw it in the crock pot and leave it all day.

There are other fish than salmon, and you can do amazing things with eggs, rice, and potatoes that don't take a lot of effort. Adding some bell peppers to your meat can bring it to life. Mix spinach and okra together with a bit of dijon mustard to surprise your taste buds. Toss some Crystal hot sauce into your same old dinner, and I bet it won't be same old. Get some Bone Suckin' Sauce and make some bbq chicken or pulled pork. Get creative with your spices. You CAN do this, and you'll feel so much better if you get some more gluten-free food into you.

Dang it, I'm hungry now!
Migraines, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, anxiety, paranoia, joint pain, vivid nightmares, exhaustion & lethargy, brain fog, bloat, GI issues--all gone or significantly reduced since dietary changes were made

Gluten-free (Nov. 2008), dairy-free (June 2009), soy-free (Aug. 2009), all-grains-and-grasses-but-rice-free (Nov. 2011); double HLA-DQ7

"'Always remember, Bilbo, when your heart wants lifting, think of pleasant things.' 'Eggs, bacon, a good full pipe, my garden at twilight....'" (The Hobbit, animated movie, 1977)

#22 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:39 PM

macaroni & cheese!!!! my mom always made it with an egg/milk custard and served it with stewed tomatoes over it. tinkyada is da bomb of all gluten free pasta so just boil some up, grate some cheddar cheese or whatever kind you can eat/want to eat, layer into a buttered dish, mix a couple of eggs with milk & salt n pepper and pour it over the whole mess. bake 350 degrees till its browned on top and open a can of 'stewdamaters' VOILA!! and invite me over because i could eat it every day of my life :)

orrr, you could always play with your food - i am thinking of making shrimp salad: shrimp, celery, onion, AVOCADO (i know, now i'm running with scissors! :D) and a little olive oil n lime juice. make a little sammich on udi's bread and we pickled some eggs the other night (and snow peas!) <experimental - first time we got them to grow nicely because they are so fussy! anyway, i've always had a wierd appetite. when i was little i used to eat liverwurst and grape jelly sandwiches (and NOT just because it made my sister throw up! ok, maybe a little lol) and both liverwurst (boar's head) AND jelly are gluten free. coincidence?? I THINK NOT! haha ;)

seriously, you have to eat more than once a day, even if you have small plates or big snacks. i too am underweight and i load up on protein - a handful of nuts (almonds seem to perk me up) or open a can of tuna fish and just mix it with mayo. (that might be good with avocado, too. with cream cheese....lol) i mix unsalted cashews with honey nut chex and cranberries. thinking about making snackety snack bars out of that. i know, it's a pain in the ass. i would looooove a red robin burger and they keep showing it on tv! you can do it!! but you should eat more. get you a hello kitty lunchbox. that will cheer anybody up :)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#23 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:43 PM

oh, and i make stuff and freeze it, too. because, i, too am LAZY :P that way, if i hafta go somewhere in a hurry, i throw some stuff in a cooler and get gone quick.

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#24 valeriek

valeriek

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:20 PM

I still don't know why that is the only things you think you can eat? Look on the dinner thread like I suggested.

Here's what I ate yesterday:

gluten-free Rice Krispies
Left-over rice, corn, cheese, mild pepper casserole with added fresh tomatoes
Kettle corn
Dinner (whole family ate this):
Red potatoes cut into little pieces, tossed with olive oil & cooked on the grill wrapped in foil
Pork Chops cooked on grill - marinated in gluten-free worchestshire sauce, garlic & pepper
Salad - spinach, carrot, red pepper, feta with salad dressing
Cookie/candy bar cookie thingy

My god....can i come to your house to eat? Thank you so much. You are great.

Valerie

#25 valeriek

valeriek

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:25 PM

Do you have a night job or something that you eat so late at night? So it sounds like your real issue is that you need to get more variety in your food. Check out the thread that Kareng posted. Also since you don't have any other food intolerances there is no reason why you can't have a grilled cheese sandwhich. Just make it on gluten-free bread. Udi's and Rudi's brands both make great grilled cheese (or so I hear I can't eat cheese but I do eat those breads toasted and their good).

Doritos are not gluten-free AFAIK. If you are still eating gluten you are more liekly to be emotional about this longer and more liekly to crave gluteny foods. Everything else you listed sounds okay--except maybe candy bars that depends on the type and there are not many you can trust to be gluten-free. Why don't you eat any vegetables or fruit? It sounds like you like convience foods that are quick and easy. A can of fruit or a banana is easy to eat. You can get those frozen steamer bags of plain veggies to use for side dishes for your meat or mix up with rice and stir fry.

Hi
I just am a night owl. I eat the cool ranch doritos that are gluten-free. And the candy I eat is gluten-free. So the bread really is good? I bought some bread 1 time that weighed 5 pounds and horrible. I will try it. Thanks so much

#26 valeriek

valeriek

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:43 PM

Thank you every one so much. You have all given some GREAT IDEAS and hope. Is there really a diet that will cure this?

Valerie :lol:

#27 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:45 PM

Rudi's and Udi's are both soft and have the right texture for bread. They're not crumbly like some gluten-free breads. Everything I've tried by Udi's has been good. Their cinnamon rolls are wonderful, the muffins good (a little sticky since they're frozen), and I just got a package of snickerdoodle cookies that were great. I just tried Multigrain Rudi's and it's really good too.

Glutino makes bagels that I like, though they're lighter than wheat ones. I get them sometimes as a treat and have them with lox and cream cheese. If you're wanting donuts, go for Kinniknnick. Glutino has cookies that are just like Oreos, called dream cookies.

I don't eat a lot of the gluten-free specialty foods because they're expensive. I have a rice cooker that I use a lot, and it's really easy to bake a potato in the microwave.

#28 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:11 AM

Hi
I just am a night owl. I eat the cool ranch doritos that are gluten-free. And the candy I eat is gluten-free. So the bread really is good? I bought some bread 1 time that weighed 5 pounds and horrible. I will try it. Thanks so much

There are lots of horrible gluten-free breads out there, but don't let that stop you from trying another type or brand. Udi's or Rudi's seem to be the favorites on this board. I've also heard Katz is pretty good but I haven't tried that one. gluten-free breads will not be exactly the same as gluteny bread but if you toast them (or make a grilled cheese) they are really close.

Another of my favorite products is King Arthur gluten-free flour. If you can find it where you live you have to try to make their pizza crust recipe. http://www.kingarthu...za-crust-recipe
It does take a lot of time to wait for the rises but it's so worth it. This is one of my fovrite crusts.

#29 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:22 AM

Also do you have a crock pot? Check out this blog: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Everything she makes is gluten free.

Some of my favorites are:
Orange Chicken
Turkey and wild rice soup
Salsa chicken
Chicken lettuce wraps
Lamb with Rosemary and Lemon
Meat loaf
fajitas
Tortilla soup

And those are just the ones that don't require cheese or soy sauce because I can't have cheese or soy. If you can have cheese and soy you've got a ton of more options!

#30 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:09 AM

My god....can i come to your house to eat? Thank you so much. You are great.

Valerie

Nothing I made is complicated as I am very lazy. We eat a lot of the same things we ate before gluten-free.

I like to cook extra so I can have lunch or left overs. Left over chili is great on nachos, or to dip chips, taco salad, on a baked potato. Make a bunch of rice and grill up chicken & freeze in little baggies to use for many things. Frozen veggies are easy to add to the rice, chicken, canned black beans. You can get corn, rice or Teff tortillas & make Quesidillas, ham & cheese, etc.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: