11 replies to this topic

#1 color_me_confused

color_me_confused

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:11 PM

I made a batch of Rice Krispie treats using the new gluten free RK cereal. I used Kraft Jet-Puffed marshmallows. The results are good. The gluten-free RK are a little less crispy and a little less sweet, made with brown rice & sugar, instead of white rice, malt, and sugar.

My older son begrudgingly tried some and declared them to be "fine" (a major endorsement on his part), my wife liked them also. As this was one of my favorite childhood treats I opted for 1/3 of the pan for breakfast on Father's Day. B)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:47 AM

It's cereal - it counts as breakfast! :D
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#3 kiwibird75

kiwibird75

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:49 PM

Breakfast is whatever you eat at the start of the day... and yours actually contained a breakfast cereal... sounds perfect to me!

After only 2 hours sleep last night I kicked the day off with some home made chocolate pudding (the custard variety) made with 72% cocoa solids chocolate and lashings of cocoa... a little goes a looooong way ;)

#4 Wenmin

Wenmin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:16 PM

Sorry, I did not see this thread before I posted in the other concerning GLuten Free Rice Krispies. Where did you find these? I have looked in several major cities in my area and have not found these yet.

Wenmin

#5 jenngolightly

jenngolightly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:44 PM

Sorry, I did not see this thread before I posted in the other concerning GLuten Free Rice Krispies. Where did you find these? I have looked in several major cities in my area and have not found these yet.

Wenmin

Purchased mine online because I couldn't find any around town.
Jenn
dx celiac 9/2007: gluten-free 9/2007
corn intolerant: corn-free 5/2010
nut allergy: nut-free 8/2010

#6 color_me_confused

color_me_confused

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:15 PM

Wenmin

At a Hannaford's supermarket in Hudson, MA. I haven't seen them anywhere else, and I rarely get over to that particular store myself so who knows when I'll get more!

#7 jenngolightly

jenngolightly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:13 PM

Wenmin

Saw them last night at Super Walmart.
Jenn
dx celiac 9/2007: gluten-free 9/2007
corn intolerant: corn-free 5/2010
nut allergy: nut-free 8/2010

#8 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:48 PM

I bought a box at Hyvee. Has anyone checked to see if they are made on dedicated equipment? I can't help but to think of all of the other cereal grains flying around the factory.

#9 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:55 PM

In NC, I have found them at Bi-Los, Lowes Foods and Walmart. They are 2.98 @ walmart.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#10 missingtortillas

missingtortillas

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:34 AM

I made a batch of Rice Krispie treats using the new gluten free RK cereal. I used Kraft Jet-Puffed marshmallows. The results are good. The gluten-free RK are a little less crispy and a little less sweet, made with brown rice & sugar, instead of white rice, malt, and sugar.

My older son begrudgingly tried some and declared them to be "fine" (a major endorsement on his part), my wife liked them also. As this was one of my favorite childhood treats I opted for 1/3 of the pan for breakfast on Father's Day. B)

My kids found out that Fruity Pebbles and Coco Pebbles are gluten-free too!!! I made Fruity pebbles treats and they were very very very delicious! Very sugary taste if that's what you're craving. My friend found coco pebble treats already made in packages at Basha's in AZ! Everyone ate them before I could try it though:(
Missing Tortillas
I've been Gluten free off and on in January and 100% since June 2010. My 9 year old daughter's GI doctor called and confirmed biopsy is positive for Celiac on Wednesday, September 8, 2010.

#11 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:03 AM

I get the Pebbles and Chexs cereals at Wal Mart Super Store in the grocery section.
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#12 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:13 AM

Awesome. I'm glad they turned out good. Thank you for the report. I have not made them yet, but plan on it.

I found them at the base commissary in San Antonio, Texas. :)
You've cat to be kitten me right meow

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
Gluten Intolerant-April 2010
Dairy/casien intolerant-Aug 2012
Lactose intolerant- Aug 2012
Soy Intolerant-November 2012
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: