This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Things To Be Thankful For.....

WinterSong

WinterSong Community Regular

I've always believed that even during troubled and difficult times, it is so important to connect with what I'm grateful for. It lifts my spirits, allows me to have more patience, and helps me become more available for good things to come into my life. I write in a gratitude journal at night (it used to be daily, but now it's whenever I have time or feel particularly inspired), and it's helped me through the hardest of times. I found this quote yesterday:

"Happiness can't be travelled to, owned, earned, worn, or consumed. Happiness is living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude."

A few things that I am thankful for:

-My positive diagnosis via blood test and biopsy (I think it was important for my own peace of mind and for others to take me seriously)

-My boyfriend falling in love with my gluten-free chocolate chip cookies

-My friend who taught me how to bake using yeast bread

-Dark chocolate :)

-My family being totally accepting of my diagnosis and my mother's willingness to begin a gluten-free diet without getting tested (she actually has a rare nerve disorder and some of her symptoms are decreasing already! - I am so very very thankful for that)

-Home made gluten-free bread and my love for baking, nutrition, and learning

-Being lucky enough to live in a city where there are many wonderful restaurant options

-Learning about proper food combinations for optimal digestion

-Another friend who is vegetarian but loves trying out new gluten-free foods with me

-My kitchen filled with nutritious food and stainless steal pots/pans

-Having very adaptable taste buds

-FINALLY knowing what was making me sick and knowing that there's something I can do about it, when before it was just random guess work

-This wonderfully supportive online community and everyone who answered my questions

-Despite times of difficulty, I am beginning to feel better :)

Just wanted to share. What are you grateful for?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mbrookes Community Regular

The gratitude journal is a great idea! I may do that myself.

I am grateful for many of the same things you are, especially finally knowing why I was sick all the time and what to do about it.

I am grateful also for:

a wonderful husband who is happily gluten free with me (except for eating out)

a grown daugter and son who understand and are very careful when I eat at their houses

a little independent health food store that will order anything I need

a local Cajun restaurant that makes gumbo without a roux

and so many other things I can't begin to name them.

I am also grateful that you started my thinking about all the wonderful things about my life. Thanks.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I'm Thankful for:

My husband who never gave up on me and has insisted our house be free of gluten as well as all the other things I'm allergic to.

This website and the folks who post here. Without it I would know much less than I do and be less sure about my diagnosis.

My natural love of cooking and trying new foods.

My passion for research which lead me to try an elimination diet when doctors were useless.

My frugal side which has kept us afloat despite ten of thousands of dollars in medical bills and only living on one income for almost 5 years now.

My church which has been great about letting me use my own gluten-free bread for communion.

My Lord and Savior Jesus who has walked with me this entire journey and never lets me go.

bartfull Rising Star

I am grateful for the wonderful family I had.

For music.

For God bringing me to the most beautiful place on the planet.

And now that I can't eat what I used to eat, I am grateful that my father taught me long ago that every time you lose something, you free up time to learn something new.

So I am grateful that for years I was able to eat what I did, and grateful now that I will be able to learn to love new kinds of food.

And I am grateful that my friend Jay taught me not to put a question mark where God has put a period.

love2travel Mentor

What a lovely idea! I am so blessed and thankful for:

My Lord Jesus Christ who gives me strength and purpose each and every day and who loves me unconditionally.

My dear husband who would do anything for me including going gluten-free except for eating out. He is my support and has broad shoulders on which to cry when I need it! He pushes me to succeed. :D

My family. They are so incredibly supportive and encouraging!

My passion and skill for cooking/baking and an adventurous palate. It has helped SO much in this gluten-free journey. It continues to bring me such joy. There are no restaurants around that are safe for me but that is ok - we eat so well at home! :P

My passion for gardening. My husband built me raised beds to make planting/weeding/harvesting far easier. I love seeing all the seeds I put into the soil miraculously grow into such varied and delicious things!

Our lovely Croatia house and garden and the means to eventually move there to fulfill our dream of living in Europe.

Travel. You cannot put a price on learning experiences. I am extremely fortunate to be able to travel to Europe many times and have learned SO MUCH about culture, history, food, architecture, geography...and at the same time learning about myself.

Books! There are stacks and piles of books all around the house. I am so glad my parents thought it so important for their children to find pleasure in the written word. I am thrilled with my huge culinary collection in particular.

I am thankful we live very close to a treed park with walking trails so I can escape and feel as though I am in the country. Sometimes I see deer, foxes, rabbits, squirrels.

Gfreeatx Apprentice

I love this thread! :)

I am thankful for an amazing husband who always makes me laugh and has cared for me through all my health issues.

I am thankful for my diagnosis and the doctors who finally figured it out.

I am thankful that since my diagnosis I can do so many things that I haven't been able to for years. Like standing up for more than 10 min at a time without passing out.

I am thankful for family and friends who are always trying to make sure I feel safe and welcomed at their homes.

I am thankful that I love to cook and since my diagnosis have been eating even healthier than before.

I am thankful for all the wonderful restaurants in my town that offer gluten-free options and their efforts to make sure I can have a safe meal out.

I am thankful for this new chance at a healthy life!!

SarahJimMarcy Apprentice

I believe gratitude is really important, too!

I am thankful that the array of symptoms my daughter has had (migraines, anxiety, rashes, stomach aches and pain, heartburn) can all be solved by simply going gluten free. We started the medical journey in second grade and finally got answers in eighth.

I am thankful we do not have to rely on a lifetime of medication to fix the array of symptoms

I am thankful I listened to my gut instinct and didn't take her to yet another pediatrician with the same set of answers

I am thankful we decided to be gluten free as a family and are eating much more healthy foods now

I am thankful that there must be enough celiacs out there that even SuperTarget has gluten free items

I, too, am thankful for this forum, from which I learn much more than I do at any doctor's office

Let's hear it for all the wisdom out there and now contained within this site!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Harpgirl Explorer

What a terrific idea!

I'm first off thankful for Jesus and his sacrifice and to God for giving us is Word written down so that we may know his will.

I'm thankful for my family and my 2 little boys who make me smile so much more than ever.

I'm thankful to have found a non-medicinal cure for my pain.

I'm thankful that there is information to help me through this adjustment.

I'm thankful that Red Robin "treats all allergens as if they will kill you," and that my pregnant sis is craving hamburgers tonight! :D

I'm thankful that my boys love the gluten-free Gerber snacks so I don't have to worry about CC. (Today my 3-year-old called the Li'l Crunchies "toes" :lol: I guess they do look sort of like toes)

I'm thankful that when I do get glutened, my pain doesn't seem as severe as others here.

I'm thankful for JessicaNYC for starting this great thread! :D

Greenling Newbie

JessicaNYC, this is a fabulous idea. I've actually been thinking a lot about gratitude and joy recently (it's like a reawakening). So here's my list.

I'm thankful (and increasingly joyful) that...

...I no longer want to go back to bed as soon as I get up in the morning.

...I catch myself singing to the radio now.

...I'm eating a much more healthy diet than before.

...I actually enjoy my workouts now.

...I accomplish so much more work in less time because my head is clear.

...my family and friends have been tremendous and so eager to support me through this change.

...peanut butter, (most) chocolate, jalapenos peppers, avocados, and onions are safe for me to eat.

...I've grown to love drinking green smoothies.

...my day-to-day life is just plain better now than before and I see so many possibilities for a healthy future (and that one is worth all the money in the world!).

It is great to read everyone's posts on this thread. It makes me so happy to think that others are feeling better also. This forum is a godsend. :)

WinterSong Community Regular

There is so much goodness radiating from this thread right now! I'm loving all of the positive vibes that we're creating :D

Harpgirl Explorer

There is so much goodness radiating from this thread right now! I'm loving all of the positive vibes that we're creating :D

You reap what you sow (sew?) :D

MissBonnie Apprentice

im thankful for my family and all you wonderful people on here. i dont know how id get through the day without both of you :)

mamabear272 Explorer

I'm thankful for:

My wonderful hubby how tries really hard to be gluten-free with me (it's not 100% but he does well)

my friend's mom who gave me a gluten-free cookbook with delicious recipes in it

all the foods that are naturally gluten-free (makes things less expensive)

the gluten-free bakery/deli that we have not too far from me

the book Living Gluten Free for Dummies that is really getting me through the initial shock of my dx

my kids and hubby in general because where would I be without them??

the fact that I know why I felt like crud so often

that it didn't take 11 years for me to be diagnosed

for this site, all its great information and the wonderful people on this forum

that God is helping me through all of this

for my life in general! I love it!

sb2178 Enthusiast

I am thankful that I am physically, mentally, and financially capable of following the wonderful diet-only treatment for gluten sensitivity.

I am thankful that when I have a day of not wanting to get dressed and rained on, I can work from home.

I am thankful it is raining in sufficient but not excessive amounts.

I am thankful for great family, neighbors, coworkers, and friends.

I am thankful for inner and external peace, especially when it pops up in odd moments.

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

my husband for supporting me. and my family and friends, too.

this wonderful website. Just about any time I have a question, I can usually find the answer here!

Being able to get ingredient info online or via email from companies!

healing.

I am thankful for any day spent w/o mouth sores! :)

all the local gluten-free products/ stores.

Being able to go out to dinner on a whim tonight for our anniversary (which is Sat, but that's going to be a busy day for my husband), and get something yummy and safe to eat... and then go to Sonic for ice cream! :)

BethM55 Enthusiast

Thank you all for sharing your joy and gratitude! I am grateful for:

my new 4 day work week! woo hoo! :D

all the wonderful food that I CAN eat, and the gluten free options that are so readily available these days, for the glutenized foods I miss. (altho mostly I don't miss them so much anymore, surprisingly)

my supportive, loving family-- thank you!

feeling better. not 100%, there are things going on that are not gluten related, but being gluten free makes a big difference.

sunshine, my garden, the rain we've had that broke the drought, living near the ocean... I could go on and on.

and of course, my fur-kid, who loves me no matter what, and doesn't care what I eat, as long as I share it with her. :lol:

Archived