4 replies to this topic

#1 Gfreeatx

Gfreeatx

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:07 PM

I had a week long stay in San Francisco last month and was pleasantly surprised at how well everything went. When I was researching initially I didn't see many restaurants that had gluten free menus online so I felt a little nervous about going on this trip, but I had to think with San Francisco being such a large city with tons of restaurants they would have some choices for me which they did. Here are some of the restaurants where I ate and had a a great experience.

Michael Mina's Bourbon Street: I had a delicious meal and they even had some gluten free bread for me which was really good. They do not have a gluten-free menu, but were very well trained on gluten-free and CC.

Scoma's: Wonderful seafood and very well trained on gluten-free and CC. They do not have a gluten free menu, but had numerous gluten free options.

Out the Door: Vietnamese casual restaurant with gluten free menu.

Amber India: No gluten free menu, but many items were naturally gluten free and they were aware of cc issues.

Roy's Hawaiian: Really good gluten-free menu and a great meal.

Zadin: Vietnamese restaurant in the Castro and have a great gluten-free menu. They even had fried calamari on the gluten-free menu and when I questioned the owner about cc he told me that they have a whole separate area of the kitchen for gluten-free items and nothing fried in their fryers contain gluten. Heaven!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:21 PM

I had a week long stay in San Francisco last month and was pleasantly surprised at how well everything went. When I was researching initially I didn't see many restaurants that had gluten free menus online so I felt a little nervous about going on this trip, but I had to think with San Francisco being such a large city with tons of restaurants they would have some choices for me which they did. Here are some of the restaurants where I ate and had a a great experience.

Michael Mina's Bourbon Street: I had a delicious meal and they even had some gluten free bread for me which was really good. They do not have a gluten-free menu, but were very well trained on gluten-free and CC.

Scoma's: Wonderful seafood and very well trained on gluten-free and CC. They do not have a gluten free menu, but had numerous gluten free options.

Out the Door: Vietnamese casual restaurant with gluten free menu.

Amber India: No gluten free menu, but many items were naturally gluten free and they were aware of cc issues.

Roy's Hawaiian: Really good gluten-free menu and a great meal.

Zadin: Vietnamese restaurant in the Castro and have a great gluten-free menu. They even had fried calamari on the gluten-free menu and when I questioned the owner about cc he told me that they have a whole separate area of the kitchen for gluten-free items and nothing fried in their fryers contain gluten. Heaven!! :)

Awesome!! I'm happy that you had such a great experience. My husband and I are toying with the idea of returning to SF. We love their restaurants and chefs (including Michael Mina). Higher end restaurants seem to be more knowledgable and far better trained. Many things on menus are naturally gluten-free anyway - the best pan sauces, etc. aren't made with flour but often reductions.

Thanks for the report - will keep this in mind.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:06 PM

The next time you visit S.F., another great spot to eat is a little diner called Pica Pica at Valencia and 15th. What's especially outstanding about it (besides the great-tasting food) is that it is an entirely gluten-free establishment, including gluten-free beers. I've eaten there several times, and it's a very safe feeling to know that there will be no cross-contamination during the preparation of my meal. Our gluten-free Meetup group sometimes meets there.

#4 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:49 AM

The next time you visit S.F., another great spot to eat is a little diner called Pica Pica at Valencia and 15th. What's especially outstanding about it (besides the great-tasting food) is that it is an entirely gluten-free establishment, including gluten-free beers. I've eaten there several times, and it's a very safe feeling to know that there will be no cross-contamination during the preparation of my meal. Our gluten-free Meetup group sometimes meets there.

Man, I live in a foodie wasteland here - absolutely no restaurants I can eat at. My husband and I drive three hours when we want to eat out.

This diner sounds very good. Another one to add to my list! :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#5 Gfreeatx

Gfreeatx

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:31 PM

Thanks!! I will have to try Pica Pica next time I go there. I was with a group most of the time for my meals so I was a little limited on where we went.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: