This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Can't Stop Talking About It

elonwy

elonwy Enthusiast

All I talk about is celiac disease. It's all I'm thinking about. I've been talking non-stop about it for weeks, and it's driving everyone crazy. I just don't know how to stop. My bf turned to me in the car today and said " is it ok if we talk about something else for a little while". He said it really nicely too ( he's a really sweet guy, he's been buying me flowers and being very attentive.) I burst out crying. How long does it take to be normal? Yeah this is new, but I need to start thinking about other stuff. The last thing I need is to drive everyone away cause I'm all obsessed about it.

ARRRG.

Elonwy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

watkinson Apprentice

Hi elaonwy,

I know what you mean. I have been diagnosed for a year and a half now and I still can't shut up about it. I was so sick for so long that when I went gluten-free it was such an amazing miracle that something so simple as grain had made me so violently ill my whole life. :blink: I felt incredibly excited about it, I reasearched like crazy so I had tons of intereting new tidbits. I felt like I had the "cure" for anyone who was feeling sick, if they would just listen. The problem is most people don't want to listen except for a few words about yourself, and your own

condition. <_< I KNOW my mom is a celiac, but she doesn't want to hear about it because she doesn't want to change her life style. I guess the poeple who are facinated by it and want to hear about it are those people who are very sick, or are immediatly affected by it.

The good news...you can talk all you want about it here!!! :) We will be happy to listen to anythjing you have to say! :D

Wendy :D

AlwaysHope Rookie
Hi elaonwy,

I know what you mean.  I have been diagnosed for a year and a half now and I still can't shut up about it.  I was so sick for so long that when I went gluten-free it was such an amazing miracle that something so simple as grain had made me so violently ill my whole life.  :blink:  I felt incredibly excited about it, I reasearched like crazy so I had tons of intereting new tidbits.  I felt like I had the "cure" for anyone who was feeling sick, if they would just listen.  The problem is most people don't want to listen except for a few words about yourself, and your own

condition. <_<  I KNOW my mom is a celiac, but she doesn't want to hear about it because she doesn't want to change her life style. I guess the poeple who are facinated by it and want to hear about it are those people who are very sick, or are immediatly affected by it. 

The good news...you can talk all you want about it here!!! :)  We will be happy to listen to anythjing you have to say! :D

Wendy  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have done the same with ALL health issues for years! Ever since I was

diagnosed with Fibro, I have been searching for "cures".

This just seems to be another part of the puzzle.

I drive my hubby crazy for sure with all this stuff, but it's HIM this

time that is starting to finally SEE the light.

He's wondered his whole life why he can't gain weight (30 or 40 lbs under weight)

even though he eats TONS.

All other tests came back negative and so now we are BOTH trying the gluten-free diet.

I know my friends and family are going to think I have just gone on ANOTHER of my silly "things" but maybe when they see the results, they might listen up a little.

(probably not - but one can only hope) :)

I have been trying to warn everyone I know about how many chemicals are in our diets today and what it is doing to us all, but most don't want to hear.

It's frustrating to say the least!

But, thankfully there are places LIKE HERE where a person can vent and get info from others that understand.

Blessings,

AlwaysHope

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes, I've been gluten free since January of 2004 and I still talk about celiac all the time to people.

It varies on times to get back to normal. To fully get back to normal it was about 8 months for me but I saw major improvement well before that.

Hang in there..if you have supportive people by you then it makes it tons easier to cope with.

jenvan Collaborator

i understand, its totally normal to be talking about celiac disease alot in the beginning. you have a lot to process--and definitely use that time ! i found out at the beginning of this year and i still am talking about it--really b/c i keep learning new things or i am writing letters etc to raise awarenes. however, there may come a time, after you get the hang of things, when you might need to try and keep a few things to yourself or share with other celiacs, like on this board. ie. if i have learned a few things and want to share with my husband, i might wait and tell him those couple things at once, rather than barraging him continually throughout the day. not that you stop sharing altogether, but that you manage the amount of time you do spend talking about. it does sound like you've got a pretty good guy there! not many of us got flowers post diagnosis !! :P

uclangel422 Apprentice

Its only been 3 months for me and i really cannot stop talking about it also, especially whenever food comes up. And the people around me at work are so supportive that even when i am not talking about, they are talking about it, asking if i can eat things in meetings...things like that. I say keep talking about it.

lbsteenwyk Explorer

Yeah, I feel obsessed about celiac disease, too. And it's not even me, it's my daughter and Dad who have celiac disease. I'm constantly doing research and thinking about celiac disease. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

We had a picnic on the grass for lunch ( he works on campus sometimes), and managed to talk about everything but celiac disease. I think part of it is he's frustrated that he can't fix me, or make me feel better. He wants to help, and I'm showing him how to read labels, but theres alot of stuff to remember, and I think every now and then he just needs a break.

This place is a huge help.

Elonwy

Nevadan Contributor

Same here, I'm the same as Elonwy. I've been gluten-free for only about 2 months, but the health improvements have been so dramatic that I can't stop thinking about and researching this. I'm a scientist by education so maybe that has something to do with it, but I've even written a couple of letters to Health Editors of various newspapers trying to encourage them to publish articles on the topic - that's a first for me.

The official "silence" is deafening, particularly when the condition seems to be so prevalent, and so easy to treat. It seems criminal (as in malpractice) that our medical profession is so clueless - maybe they just don't want to lose good paying customers.

I'm amazed at the lack of reaction when I've tactfully (I think) explained celiac disease to a few friends who have all the symptoms and complain about how they feel routinely - it's almost like they don't want a cure but would rather complain. I'm sure there is a whole lot of phycology going on that I'm not aware of, but this is so easy to test out it's hard to understand the resistance.

I say we have to keep trying until we figure out how to bring celiac disease into the medical mainstream.

George

tarnalberry Community Regular

I was that way at first. After two and a half years, I don't want to talk about it most of the time. It's just like "alright already... it's normal for me... moving on... don't need to discuss breathing practices incessantly, why this?" now, but it's definitely a real focus early on. You'll get past it, and if you want to help that process, find other things to focus on as well, to have other things you want to talk about.

Archived