Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Does Anyone Have A Good Bread Recipe, Not Using Yeast, That You Have Tried And Liked?

• Please log in to reply

18 replies to this topic

#16 freeatlast

freeatlast

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:53 PM

I've never used sorghum so I can't say for sure what the texture/taste is like but I would think that brown rice flour or buckwheat would sub well for it. Let us know how it turns out!

Ok. I made the last link and just had three pieces for supper with choritzo sausage.
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:59 PM

Okay found some yeast free, vegan recipes. The Irish Soda bread (first link) looks the best to me.

http://glutenfreegod...ead-recipe.html

http://veganza.com/2...free-bread-v10/

http://www.celiacchi...free-bread.html

http://www.affairsof...free-vegan.html

http://www.nourishin...free-yeast.html

I made the last link which is flatbread. Thanks for the recipe, Manna!I'll cut it into bars and take tomorrow and heat up before we eat. Was good with a little butter, but my vegan friend can use her balance product. It will be at her house :)
It was good. The texture was good. I used potato starch instead of arrowroot and molasses in place of honey b/c was out. Also, used 1 t. xantham gum instead of 3/4 t.

Will probably not make this recipe again. It may be better with the honey, but with molasses, it tastes like it was almost a dessert, but not quite.
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#18 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:10 PM

I made the last link which is flatbread. Thanks for the recipe, Manna!I'll cut it into bars and take tomorrow and heat up before we eat. Was good with a little butter, but my vegan friend can use her balance product. It will be at her house :)
It was good. The texture was good. I used potato starch instead of arrowroot and molasses in place of honey b/c was out. Also, used 1 t. xantham gum instead of 3/4 t.

I'm glad it was a success! Hope your friend likes it too!
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#19 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:24 PM

Okay, I have something in a mini loaf pan that is cooling on the counter. The test piece I did in the microwave has already been demolished. We just sliced and ate some. It worked !

This is a preliminary recipe. It is not tested at higher amounts.

Gluten Free, gum free, yeast free Vegan Buckwheat Mini Loaf of Bread, whole grain type

•Oven, 350º F

•pan, mini loaf size, pre - greased or oiled (you have the correct size pan if it holds about a pint of water)
_________
This recipe will use Chia seeds and boiling water for the "egg." Chia seeds are available at health food stores. If you don't have chia, you can use ground flax seed and boiling water.

This recipe will use about 1 and 1/4 cup of gluten free flour mixtures. I am using these types of gluten free flours because they tend to be "stickier," and not need as much artificial thickener, especially when pre soaked, as we are going to do. Amaranth also is mold retardant when leftovers are stored in the fridge.

Almond meal can be easily made by grinding nuts in a blender. Store any leftover in the refrigerator.

If you do not have buckwheat flour, you can grind buckwheat or kasha (pre roasted buckwheat seeds) in a coffee grinder or a hand mortar and pestle.

Chia "egg" gel

Put a teaspoon of chia seeds into a microwavable bowl with about 2 tablespoons of water. Keep zapping it in the microwave until the water is near boiling and the chia seeds are making a nice gel. Microwaves vary. Do this in 10 second increments. Alternatively, boil the water first, then add some to the chia seeds. (Flax may be substituted)

Dry ingredients

in a measuring cup, put the following flours into it until you have a heaping cupful, or 1 and 1/4 (1.25 cups) of gluten free flour mixture:

1/4 cup plus about 1 tablespoon ground up kasha buckwheat

1/4 cup plus about 1 tablespoon garbanzo bean flour

1/4 cup plus about 1 tablespoon potato starch (if nightshade intolerant, may substitute other starchy gluten free flour)

1/4 cup plus about 1 tablespoon of a three way mixture of amaranth flour, almond meal, and teff flour. If you don't have teff, you can use half amaranth and half almond meal, or use another flour, such as sorghum or quinoa.

salt. about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon, or to taste.

spices: generous pinch of ground cumin and a generous pinch of ground cinnamon and any other type of sweet spice you like, such as nutmeg, cloves, allspice, ginger.

Now, you are going to put this in pre -soak

In a bowl, put the following wet ingredients

1 teaspoon pure apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)

1 to 2 teaspoons pure olive oil

about a teaspoon total or more of agave syrup, molasses, and/or honey

about a half cup water or more. stir to dissolve the molasses in the water, then add the one and a 1/4 cup gluten free flour mixture. Stir well, adding enough water and the "chia egg gel" to make a thick batter. Your flour mixture and humidity will determine how much water to add. (if you want to use milk, nut milk, or coconut milk, that's okay.)

Let this flour, vinegar, chia and water mixture soak at least 5 min, 10 min is better, can go for up to an hour or put in refrigerator, covered.

Turn on the oven if you haven't already.

_______
Measure out the baking soda Leavening:

1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
big pinch 1/8 teasp cream of tartar

Add to the batter mixture, and beat it in thoroughly. If the batter is super thick and too thick to mix and pour, add a bit more liquid. Taste the batter (you can do this because there is no raw egg. If you like a sweeter mixture, or saltier, add more to taste)

Now, put the thick batter with its added leavening into the greased or oiled mini loaf pan.

Put it in the 350º pre heated oven. Set timer for 35 minutes. It will probably take 40 to 45 minutes, but be conservative. Bake, and check for doneness by tapping on top, then by inserting a clean kitchen table knife into the loaf. Your knife needs to come out clean. If the bottom tip is sticky, put the loaf back in and keep baking 5 to 10 more minutes, and test again. To finish the crust bottom, take the pan out of the oven, take the loaf out, and finish baking it 5 more minutes on its side or upside down, on an oven proof plate or laid across the empty loaf pan.

Makes one mini loaf of dense, high protein, yeast free vegan bread. :)

______
ps: if amount of batter is filling the pan to the top, that is too much, and reserve a little out, which can then be put in a ramekin and baked in the microwave separately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: