2 replies to this topic

#1 amber3174

amber3174

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:14 AM

Hi there, Im new here, but not to Celiac disease. I've had it for years and stupidly ignored it. Im now on a gluten-free diet. I've had 2 normal pregnancies (last one was 8 years ago), but now have had 2 miscarriages in the last 6 months. Im realizing now that they were probably due to untreated celiac disease. My question is- has anyone had a miscarriage, got gluten free, then be able to carry a normal pregnancy down the road? Im worried that I have done too much damage to heal enough to ever be able to carry normally again. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:22 AM

I had two miscarriages prior to having my daughter. I tried the gluten-free diet right before I got pregnant with her because I had read about the link between miscarriages and gluten intolerance. I stayed on the diet through the first trimester then my OB/GYN talked me out of it, saying that it was all in my head and the gluten-free diet wasn't good for the baby :angry: I ended up going off the gluten-free diet through the second and third trimester, became extremely ill, developed toxemia and delivered her via emergency c-section over a month premature. I believe whole heartedly that if I had stayed gluten-free I wouldn't have had those complications and would have carried her to term. It took another 3 years before I was officially dx with Celiac, and my daughter too...

Anyway, if you stay gluten-free your risks of miscarriage aren't any higher than the rest of the populations. I believe you stand a better chance of having a normal pregnancy if you stay gluten-free.

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:46 AM

I think once you are gluten free for a while and heal that damage you will have a chance like the normal population. Just stick with the diet because not only do miscarriages happen but you can get many serious and potentially life threatening things from ignoring it.
I'm sorry for your losses.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: