7 replies to this topic

#1 Coinkey

Coinkey

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:54 PM

I am just wondering your thoughts on this. I have been running on the assumption that I am gluten intolerant. All my tests were negative a year ago after being gluten free for 2 weeks. My symptoms did improve on a naturally gluten free diet. On some replacement foods my stomach had mild symptoms. When having gluten free deep fried foods I would have severely adverse reactions- fryers were confirmed absolutely contaminated with gluten so I figure it was a case of super contamination. However, recently I tried a gluten free soy beverage and had a massive week long reaction that seems to fit with a severe soy allergy based on some internet searches. I am wondering if maybe I have a soy allergy and not gluten intolerance at all because many gluten products have soy as well. Do you think I should try a purely gluten challenge (ie: shredded wheat (100% wheat)) to see if there is a reaction or not? I had another look at the ingredient list of all the items I tested out gluten on a year ago to see the reaction and they all had soy products in them as well.
Self diagnosed as gluten free as all tests were negative and the doctor was completely useless.

Gluten Free since June 2010
Suspecting soy and milk as of June 2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:05 PM

I am just wondering your thoughts on this. I have been running on the assumption that I am gluten intolerant. All my tests were negative a year ago after being gluten free for 2 weeks. My symptoms did improve on a naturally gluten free diet. On some replacement foods my stomach had mild symptoms. When having gluten free deep fried foods I would have severely adverse reactions- fryers were confirmed absolutely contaminated with gluten so I figure it was a case of super contamination. However, recently I tried a gluten free soy beverage and had a massive week long reaction that seems to fit with a severe soy allergy based on some internet searches. I am wondering if maybe I have a soy allergy and not gluten intolerance at all because many gluten products have soy as well. Do you think I should try a purely gluten challenge (ie: shredded wheat (100% wheat)) to see if there is a reaction or not? I had another look at the ingredient list of all the items I tested out gluten on a year ago to see the reaction and they all had soy products in them as well.

I have celiac's and I have a intolerance to soy and nightshades .It is very possible to have more than one intolerance .

I had allergy testing and came back negative for an allergy to soy but my body reacts SEVERELY when I ingest soy.

You say you felt better after going gluten free. Instead of doing a gluten challenge why not do a soy challenge. Eliminate all soy for a period of time and then reintroduce soy to judge your reaction it.

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#3 Coinkey

Coinkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:10 PM

I know it's more likely that I have both. But as I have never tested for soy allergy and my gluten tests came back negative I thought MAYBE as many gluten things have soy that it was the soy I was reacting to all along.
Self diagnosed as gluten free as all tests were negative and the doctor was completely useless.

#4 Coinkey

Coinkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:12 PM

You say you felt better after going gluten free. Instead of doing a gluten challenge why not do a soy challenge. Eliminate all soy for a period of time and then reintroduce soy to judge your reaction it.

Having drank that one soy beverage and being sick for a week with previous similar episodes I believe soy is evil and I never want to touch it again. More so than gluten.

#5 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:28 PM

I agree Soy is evil :ph34r:
If your planing on doing a gluten challenge be sure all the soy is out of your diet first .

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#6 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:44 PM

The "soy beverage" that you drank wouldn't happen to be Soy Dream would it? I ask because Soy Dream and Rice Dream products are labeled as "gluten free" but they actually have barley water in them that makes many of us very sick.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#7 Coinkey

Coinkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:23 PM

It was an Ensure High-Protein drink. Here is a link to the ingredient information. Ensure High Protein As far as I can tell, it is indeed gluten free and completely loaded with soy on top of soy. I'm working on ridding my kitchen of soy products. Not much so far has had to go. I'm dreading parting with my Chapman's Icecream. I'm keeping that until after my allergy tests. I'm going tomorrow to speak to a doctor about it and to see if there is anything else they can discover that I'm allergic to before I stumble upon it in a nasty manner like this soy. Then in a couple of weeks... maybe when the weather is gross again I'll try out some shredded wheat.

#8 Jenniferxgfx

Jenniferxgfx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:38 PM

I have problems with any soy components chemically extracted from soybeans. I can eat straight soybeans without incident, and tofu and tempeh, but anything like "isolated soy protein" ends up causing me trouble.

It makes me sad that soy has become such an overly processed food and it's been put in everything (like this super proteinated wheat compared to the era before foo manufacturing) because I think that's what's causing a lot of intolerances.

Pardon my soapbox. I've just got so much anger for the Edible Foodlike Substance Industry. :/

glutenfree since 6/2011. sick for 30 years.

borderline blood test, negative biopsy.

SEVERELY sensitive celiac with DH. sensitive to contact and ingestion.

asthma (was severe; improved exponentially after 6/11)

spina bifida & childhood SCI at L4/L5 (possibly complicated by weak bones)

countless fractures and infections.

i once listed over 100 symptoms or conditions that improved or were eliminated after 6/11.

very vegan. and, of course, i've also discovered some other food allergies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: