3 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisW

ChrisW

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:40 PM

My wife does not have Celiacs, but after ten years of being sick, she recently discovered that she is severely allergic to gluten along with eggs, dairy, beef, and various other items. We have found it very difficult to find foods that are gluten free, the other allergies are easy to avoid, but gluten seems to be in everything even if it is not listed on the ingredients. Does anyone know of any websites that have a list of everyday foods that contain gluten? I have found many websites for recipies, but it is the small snack food type items that she is having trouble with. For instance, she was starting to feel better and then fell back into her same routine of nausea and vomiting and we did not knonw why. To our surprise a simple snack food, hummus, contained gluten. She was eating that thinking that it was very safe when in fact it was making her body more and more sick until she could no longer keep food or water down and once again ended up in the hospital. if anyone knows of any websites that may help us determine what foods to stay away from, it would be extremely helpful. I do not want her to have to go through trial and error if it is at all avoidable.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:24 PM

Welcome,

I don't have a web site for you, and after eleven years gluten-free, I don't think that is the route to go.

Web sites may provide a starting point, but the definitive answer is on the label. Read the label. The package you have may be older, or newer, than the information on the web site, even if it is the manufacturers own web site.

In the US (and Canada), if wheat is a constituent of a product, it must be named as "wheat" either in the ingredient list or in an adjacent "contains" statement. Rye doesn't hide. Barley can legally be concealed in "flavors" but almost never is. Read the label.

Try these links for useful information:

Unsafe ingredients.

Safe ingredients.

Here's a list of companies that have a clear gluten policy. If you don't see "wheat, rye, barley, barley malt, oats" on the labels, its not there, or hidden in "flavors, starches, etc."

I am not a supporter of lists--they are out of date the minute that you print them. Formulas are constantly changing. That is why I like to buy from companies who will label clearly (see the third link above). Always read the label.

Did I remember to tell you to read the label? :o

Edited by psawyer, 23 June 2011 - 05:42 PM.
Add Canada to note about wheat on labels

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:40 PM

When buying gluten-free look for products that state gluten-free on the labeling... If its states wheat free that does not make it gluten-free....many companies list on their lables so become a label reader... For instance Breyer's/ Dreyer's ice creams are gluten-free except for the ones that have cookies , crunchies & candy added to them...doritos & chips are clearly labeled ...
Not all hummus contain gluten..
Stay away from soy sauce, anything with malt... Lachoy has gluten-free soy sauce & Kikkoman clearly labeled on front of bottle...
Beer contains gluten but there are gluten-free beers...
contadina tomato products are gluten-free...
all heinz vinegar except the malt is gluten-free..
heinz ketsup is gluten-free except the organic one
Hellman's & miracle whip gluten-free
Progresso has many soups that are gluten-free( again labeled on back of can )...
cheese whiz gluten-free

there are tons of gluten-free products on store shelves.

It may be easier to give us ideas on what she likes to eat & we can lead her from there...
meats, veggies, & fruits, fish are all gluten-free in their natural state, no marinades, coatings, or sauces.... spice up at home using McCormick's spices ( again clearly labeled)...
She will need to stay clear of wheat, rye & barley...spelt,, farro & several others are cousin to the wheat family so again stay away from them...

Some flavored teas & coffee contain gluten...

This is just a tiny tiny hint of gluten-free... hth

#4 catsmeow

catsmeow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:02 PM

I just wanted to say welcome to the forum. I am also severely allergic to wheat. I'm so sorry she (and you) are having a rough time adjusting to her new food restrictions.

The others have given really good advice. I can't think of anything to add.

Do you have a whole food grocery near you? They carry a ton of gluten free foods.

I tend to eat things that are naturally gluten free, whole foods, in their natural form. I hope you adjust and things get better. (((((hugs))))
You've cat to be kitten me right meow

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
Gluten Intolerant-April 2010
Dairy/casien intolerant-Aug 2012
Lactose intolerant- Aug 2012
Soy Intolerant-November 2012
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: