5 replies to this topic

#1 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:47 AM

I just discovered this little gem a couple of days ago.

www.coeliacmap.com

It's essentially an interactive map of gluten free venues which you can add to by adding venues of your own, and reviews of your own or other peoples venues.

It also works in conjunction with an Android phone app available for free on the android marketplace. The app allows you to do everything you can do on the website from the phone too. That is, review or add a venue, and search for venues nearby. It also uses your GPS to find out where you are and automatically provide you with a list of venues.

I used the app today in Edinburgh and it was a godsend as an instant source of reliable suggestions of where to go and eat or have a coffee etc. You can even navigate to it directly from the app itself. I even added a couple of places to the map whilst sitting in them, drinking my coffee and eating my lovely banana cake

I'd really recommend it to anyone with a gluten problem and I'd encourage you all ( in the UK ) to at least use the website ( it's obviously still in it's early stages but works fine ). It can only improve as more people use and add to the database, so get out there and get mapping venues!

There are a lot of venues listed in the rest of Europe too, and I think I spotted a couple down under, but it seems focussed on the UK just now, simply because of the location of the developer and the spelling of Coeliac in the marketplace. It doesn't seem to be restricted geographically at all so I'm sure if folks from opposite the pond to me ( :) ) used it, it would become one heck of a resource.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 navigator

navigator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:41 AM

I've justed added my favourite local restaurant. Great idea! Thanks for making me aware of this.

#3 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:38 AM

Inn on the loch I take it? Sounds lovely :)

#4 navigator

navigator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:24 AM

You're right!! The map is such a good idea and can only get better the more people that know about it and add to it. It'll certainly make life easier when out and about. :)

#5 michelle2003

michelle2003

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:29 AM

anyone know more in glasgow the two that they have r not ones i would go to.

#6 navigator

navigator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:29 AM

I don't eat out much in Glasgow, but my daughter likes DiMaggios in Royal Exchange Square. It is very good for coeliacs. The first time we asked for gluten free, I heard the chef clap his hand and announce that as he was preparing gluten free meal no-one was to come into a certain part of the kitchen. He then asked to speak to the waiting staff for our table and informed them they did not take anything to the table which was not given to them by him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: