2 replies to this topic

#1 rain

rain

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:36 PM

Is anyone out there dealing with changing eating habits from grazing to meals?
Before diagnosis I couldn't eat a full meal without getting a stomach ache, and I was chronically light headed so I'd eat sugary things as well. Now I don't have those symptoms but I can't seem to shake the habits.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiacSuzie

celiacSuzie

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:48 PM

The whole thing was a lifestyle change (in more than just food) for me.
I craved sugar (ate a lotta candy for carbs/calories) when I changed over b/c I wasn't hungry... or if I was, all I wanted was sugar.

After months now of being gluten-free, I'm getting used to the changes and learning to eat more. Sometimes I force myself to eat a "big" meal (big for me is still small... I can be full on a burger (no bun) or a bowl of rice w/egg (maybe about a cup to cup & half of rice). I've noticed I eat less and less often, not feeling as hungry as I used to now that I think my body's getting healthier.

But there are still plenty of times all I think of doing is eating crudites, corn chips, popcorn... whatever's sitting around & easy to eat "right now" and whenever I happen to pass or think about it. It's a gradual change... take it in small steps. I still am. :)
But I still enjoy every now & again a "dinner" of just popcorn - one of my fave snacks! No more a "no other option" meal. ;)

Hugs!

#3 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:24 PM

Is anyone out there dealing with changing eating habits from grazing to meals?
Before diagnosis I couldn't eat a full meal without getting a stomach ache, and I was chronically light headed so I'd eat sugary things as well. Now I don't have those symptoms but I can't seem to shake the habits.

Grazing is ok, but I'd try to give up the sugary things (unless it's fresh fruit, since you'll get good nutrients and fiber.) And yes, I had a hard time sitting down to a meal for the first few months. It gets better.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: