This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

More Questoins About Possible Rheumatoid...

NorthernElf

NorthernElf Enthusiast

I had asked about arthritis issues a few months ago. I deal with cold Canadian winters...starting around New Year's I began to have symptoms of hand/wrist/elbow pain...deep ache...one shoulder...it recurred every 2-3 weeks, got real bad in March when we went down to Vancouver island (very wet, rainy weather)...and then abated, went away.

Fast forward to now - we have been on rainfall warnings, up to 70 mm the last couple of days, imminent flooding, etc. My joints are aching so bad ! I can't believe it - I have been feeling "normal" but now my hands, elbows, knees & ankles ache. I am a very active person, very active - maybe I have been ignoring discomfort, blaming it on my activity but that deep ache is not consistent with what I do (I teach fitness too). Yesterday I went for a run & my HANDS really hurt....makes no sense.

I am tired too - wanna lie down & curl up in a ball...blame the weather right ? But what gives ? I did have a blood test back in January - RA negative. My knuckles on my hands - first 2 - swell a little, worse on my right hand (dominant hand). Had an xray in January - looked normal. I *think* my index finger is starting to bend in...hard to tell.

Anyway....wanna know if anyone else has a similar issue. I thought the whole thing went away...but wow, back witha vengence...pain is weird - can handle it for awhile but then it grates...gets very upsetting....

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Hi Northernelf,

I'm sorry you feel so bad. I have RA and I know what you're going through. Have you eliminated the nightshade vegetables? They are not good for anyone who has arthritis issues and you definitley sound like you do.

Please take them out for a few weeks and see how you feel. Potatoes, tomatoes, all bell peppers, eggplant, tobasco sauce, tomatillos, okra. I hope this helps.

fairydust81 Rookie

Hi there,

I'm a scientist researching RA and even though your bloods are negative it's still possible to have "seronegative" RA. but there is a classification system that rheumatologists follow to aid in a diagnosis. This includes morning stiffness, multiple joint swelling, changes on xrays, presence of nodules, positive rf factor in the blood etc. You have to fulfil so many of the points and been suffering constantly for 6 months at least.

There is another condition that has similar symptoms to RA but doesn't cause the joint damage and it also flares and goes periodically. It's called palindromic rheumatism (a condition I was diagnosed with in January). I get all the joint pain and swelling in flares and I also have visible arthritis on my xrays. I'm now taking anti rheumatic drugs to help

• 2 weeks later...
Neshema1 Newbie

Dxd w/ celiac at abt 13 mos, juvenile RA at age 9, later sjogrens syndrome & raynauds (related to RA), & then neuropathy, & then u name it.. Now dysautonomia (neurological). BUT, was of gluten-free diet most of my life after docs decided at around age 4 it was pancreatic enzyme deficiency (trypsin) which now know can happen secondary to celiac disease, so been poisoned by gluten for most of my life. Antibodies came out neg being in immmune suppressant drugs for RA. I was RF neg.high sed rates. Many ppl are seronegative. Ive had it so long & was active in arthritis foundation & saw it all the time. My ANA SSA/ssb recently was worst ever, pos for lupus AND sjogrens. Get a good rheumatologist who believes u, know relationship between gluten & RA & knows tests don't always tell the story until later, if ever. Good luck!

Archived