12 replies to this topic

#1 xxkristin

xxkristin

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:58 PM

I was diagnosed with celiac disease in this past March, and my symptoms have slowly been getting better. However, for the past week to 2 weeks, I've been having some pelvic pain, mainly on the left side, but sometimes on the right side too. I wouldn't say it's all that painful, it's more of just a dull ache, and in no way debilitating. It would come and go, except today, it's been there pretty much all day.

I was just wondering if anyone else experienced any pelvic pain after going gluten free. Could it possibly be gluten related?

I know that pelvic pain could be caused by a bunch of different things, so if it doesn't go away in a week or so, I'll go to the doctor and have it checked out.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:05 PM

I went through that a while ago, and the episode lasted nearly two months. I thought I had an ovarian cyst, but an ultrasound came up clean. Oddly enough, I figured out it was coconut causing it. I stopped eating and it went away. When I started eating it again, it came back. I'm not sure what exactly was going on (sorry, I can't be more helpful), but I hope you resolve your issue soon. It was pretty annoying and I began to wonder if something more serious was wrong.
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#3 anewlife

anewlife

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:13 PM

I have pelvic pain and it was diagnosed as Interstitial cystitis - inflammation in the bladder. It is related to several autoimmune diseases including celiac disease. I was diagnosed by an Urologist but my gynecologist first did an ultrasound of the pelvic region to rule out other issues. Hope you can get to the bottom of it. I know it can be so uncomfortable! I like using a heating pad when it is most uncomfortable.
Take care

#4 xxkristin

xxkristin

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:15 PM

I went through that a while ago, and the episode lasted nearly two months. I thought I had an ovarian cyst, but an ultrasound came up clean. Oddly enough, I figured out it was coconut causing it. I stopped eating and it went away. When I started eating it again, it came back. I'm not sure what exactly was going on (sorry, I can't be more helpful), but I hope you resolve your issue soon. It was pretty annoying and I began to wonder if something more serious was wrong.

Thanks. This is really frustrating. I'm a hypochondriac, so I always assume the worst whenever I get weird symptoms. I'm trying to convince myself that I don't have ovarian cancer or something serious like that. It's just frustrating that the symptoms are almost exactly the same as those of celiac. I know deep down that most likely, I don't have cancer or anything serious, but I can't help it lol.

I'm going to go strictly whole foods only for a while and hopefully it goes away. Maybe I'm just eating something that has gluten in it. If it doesn't soon though, then I'll go to the doctor.

#5 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:09 AM

I went whole foods and it helped me a lot! It really helped me figure out foods that I cannot eat. Corn is one of my biggest problem foods. I ate very basic with only adding or taking away one food at a time. The longer you're gluten-free, you'll understand your body more. Well, that was so for me. I can now tell if I get CC or a food that I cannot digest well. I happen to have an overian cyst now and something wrong with my uterus(DX by ultrasound)

A year ago I probably could not have told you if it was gluten or what. Now I understand my body's reactions so much better. Hang in there!
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#6 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:44 PM

Thanks. This is really frustrating. I'm a hypochondriac, so I always assume the worst whenever I get weird symptoms. I'm trying to convince myself that I don't have ovarian cancer or something serious like that. It's just frustrating that the symptoms are almost exactly the same as those of celiac. I know deep down that most likely, I don't have cancer or anything serious, but I can't help it lol.

I'm going to go strictly whole foods only for a while and hopefully it goes away. Maybe I'm just eating something that has gluten in it. If it doesn't soon though, then I'll go to the doctor.

I completely understand...I always assume the worse too. My theory as to what was going on is that the coconut was causing inflammation in my colon. I have no idea if that at all possible, but this in my crazy self-diagnosis. :rolleyes:
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#7 JSegura226

JSegura226

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:12 AM

This is interesting... I too have been experiencing pelvis pain and what feels like colon spasms on my lower left side for the last 2 weeks. My appetite has also dropped off dramatically. Coconut never even crossed my mind! I introduced coconut oil into my diet around the same time the pain started up <_< . Guess I will cut the oil out and see if my pain disappears.
Stomach pains and nausea since birth-Doctors considered Bulimia, Anorexia, other Neurological problems
Insomnia as a child and Night Terrors from age 5-14
Dx with Scoliosis at age 6
Performance in School declined immensely from grades 4th-12th
Foggy memory, Lack of concentration, and Slowed physical development from ages 4-20
Dx with ADD at age 14-Ritalin prescribed-taken for only 2 months
Scoliosis Bar and fusion and Chiari 1 Malformation Surgery at Age 17
Dx Celiac April '11
Gluten,Soy,Milk,Corn,GMO free starting 3/28/11

#8 cvll

cvll

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:32 PM

Every month at ovulation time, I have really bad pains. Everything in there tightens/spasms, and it hurts a lot. It makes me constipated until it goes away (lasts maybe around 5 days or so), and then I get very loose stools. I'm thinking of making a dr appt just to check it out. I am always thinking the worst too. I wonder if there's a huge tumor in there and at ovulation time, just gets bigger.

I was diagnosed with celiac disease in this past March, and my symptoms have slowly been getting better. However, for the past week to 2 weeks, I've been having some pelvic pain, mainly on the left side, but sometimes on the right side too. I wouldn't say it's all that painful, it's more of just a dull ache, and in no way debilitating. It would come and go, except today, it's been there pretty much all day.

I was just wondering if anyone else experienced any pelvic pain after going gluten free. Could it possibly be gluten related?

I know that pelvic pain could be caused by a bunch of different things, so if it doesn't go away in a week or so, I'll go to the doctor and have it checked out.

#9 xxkristin

xxkristin

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:32 PM

I've determined that it's probably just constipation due to not enough fibre. I started taking Metamucil and after a few, when the Metamucil started working, the pelvic pain went. I stopped taking the Metamucil for a few weeks and the pain and constipation came back. So I started taking Metamucil again, and once again, after a few days, it all went away. I guess I'm just going to have to take Metamucil everyday from now on. Oh well, at least I'm pretty sure I've figured it out.

#10 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:29 AM

I've been gluten free now for four weeks and am experiencing the most horrendous ovulation pain. I usually only get it for a few hours on the right hand side, but this time i have had it on the left hand side and it has lasted for nearly two days with no sign of abating. In addition I feel quite constipated, like the swelling there is stopping everything from moving! Luckily I have a doctor's appoint at the end of the week to see if he will allow me to take the Genova diagnostics Celiac panel as the IgA TTG showed up negative.

#11 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:10 AM

My uterine problems started at the same time as the celiac. Who knows why. I'm 5 weeks out of a hysterectomy. For me it was good. Hystersisters is a very good forum if you need help with pelvic issues, not just hysterectomys.

#12 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:01 PM

I get the same thing and that's usually a sure sign I've veen glutened. However I get ovarian cysts from time to tine too and those cause a similar pain. Whichever the cause a heating pad works wonders!
"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools." - Spanish Proverb

#13 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:03 PM

And don't feel bad about being "a bit of a hypochondriac" I think all of us that battled celiac for a long time before diagnosis were almost forced into that. For me it was a desperate search for what the heck was making me sick all the time. Celiac is the great mimicker and there are literally hundreds of symptoms it can have.
"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools." - Spanish Proverb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: