4 replies to this topic

#1 anewlife

anewlife

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:33 AM

I am trying to find a good GI in the Sacramento area although I would go to the Bay area or Stanford if needed. I saw a GI doctor recently who wanted me to go on a gluten challenge for a definite diagnosis of Celiac. I had gone off gluten myself and was diagnosed by blood tests and symptoms by my rheumatologist. I don't think a gluten challenge is wise after all I have read and would like to find a doctor experienced with Celiac disease and Gluten intolerance. Any advice?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,038 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:15 AM

I am trying to find a good GI in the Sacramento area although I would go to the Bay area or Stanford if needed. I saw a GI doctor recently who wanted me to go on a gluten challenge for a definite diagnosis of Celiac. I had gone off gluten myself and was diagnosed by blood tests and symptoms by my rheumatologist. I don't think a gluten challenge is wise after all I have read and would like to find a doctor experienced with Celiac disease and Gluten intolerance. Any advice?

Sounds like you were already diagnosed by an MD with out a cruel streak.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 anewlife

anewlife

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:57 AM

Sounds like you were already diagnosed by an MD with out a cruel streak.

Yes that is true! I would just like someone who is experienced to follow me with this disease. My Rheumatologist doesn't know much about Celiac. She said it was just a hunch!

#4 Jenniferxgfx

Jenniferxgfx

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:12 AM

I don't think you'll get much help beyond "don't eat gluten" but I really liked Dr Jane Melnick in San Francisco. She's a smart lady and very kind.

glutenfree since 6/2011. sick for 30 years.

borderline blood test, negative biopsy.

SEVERELY sensitive celiac with DH. sensitive to contact and ingestion.

asthma (was severe; improved exponentially after 6/11)

spina bifida & childhood SCI at L4/L5 (possibly complicated by weak bones)

countless fractures and infections.

i once listed over 100 symptoms or conditions that improved or were eliminated after 6/11.

very vegan. and, of course, i've also discovered some other food allergies.

#5 djk40

djk40

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:01 PM

I had to press my Doctor for a blood test. I had many symptoms including severe fatigue, headaches, joint pain, leg pain, Ibs, and she wanted to test me for everything but...
She finally tested me when everything else came back negative and it turned out I had antibodies for celiac spru. So she said to me "Gluten Free Diet". I haven't had any professional help since (Jan 2010)
I still don't feel 100% and wonder if a GI should be tracking my health.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: