This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Accidentally Ate Gluten

anewlife

anewlife Apprentice

I was making dinner for my parents and made stew with egg noodles. Not planning to eat any of it myself I didn't use gluten free product. What a mistake! The flour filled the air and I know I breathed it in. And then to top it off, I "tasted" a noodle to see if it was done. AARGH! After I swallowed it, panic slowly came over me. "Throw it up" my family cried. But alas I was stuck. The first night I seemed ok, just some bloating. But now two days later I still feel like I have the flu, headache, fatique, bloating, foggy brain, even a recurrence of interstatial cystitis. Does anyone know of anything that might help me recover from this poisoning or how long I can expect it to last? I have learned that I cannot cook with gluten, even if it is not for me!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

You poor thing! I think we all try to keep cooking gluten for others in the beginning.

But if you serve them gluten free noodles, they will love it and all of you will eat together! My son and I have celiac but hubby and daughter are gluten free. I made scrumptious gluten free orange muffins with an orange glaze this morning and they went nuts over them. So introduce them to brown rice noodles next time.

Glutening can take a few days or even a whole week, especially if you are a newbie and still healing. Eat simple foods, lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, plain rice for a few days to let your gut heal. Don't eat any dairy, soy, or complicated foods. Maybe if you are a coffee drinker switch to black tea for a few days. Give your gut some healing time and help.

L Glutamine helps quite a bit too. It's an amino acid you can buy at places like Sprouts or Whole Foods. A good probiotic helps me too.

Rest if you need to. Don't feel guilty about laying around this weekend. Rest is the number one thing I need if I get contaminated.

Throwing up DOES help. It is horrible and gross, but it does help. I went to Outback around Christmas for my December birthday. The guy brought me regular chocolate cake instead of their gluten free brownie. I ate half of it before I realized it was the wrong dessert. I forced myself to throw up and it helped a lot. I am very sensitive to CC. I have gotten really sick from crumbs from my daughter which is why I made her gluten free. A half piece of cake would have done me in for a month. But since I threw it all up, there was only trace and I was sick for about a week, but not severe symptoms the whole time. Severe symptoms were only about a day, or maybe day and a half.

josh052980 Enthusiast

I'm actually dealing with sort of the same thing right now. It's Tuesday, and on Friday night, I got ahold of some gluten in some chicken broth. I've felt like I've had the flu ever since, but not as severe as it used to be. I'd been gluten free for 6 weeks prior to that, and for most of those 6 weeks, I felt perfect.

All I can tell you is to hang in there, it does get better, but you're gonna have to deal with the ups and downs. Some days will be worse than others, unfortunately, that's just how it is.

Hang in, feel better, take it easy on yourself!

Kimbalou Enthusiast

Hope you feel better! gluten-free brown rice noodles are great. your family will like them. Or even rice pasta. I feel sick today too. :(

anewlife Apprentice

Hope you feel better! gluten-free brown rice noodles are great. your family will like them. Or even rice pasta. I feel sick today too. :(

I'm sorry you are not feeling well. Is it gluten? Hope you feel better soon. I am slowly healing. Feel a bit better today. It is so nice to have others to talk to who understand!

Nova Scotian Celiac Newbie

I can relate completely! Hang in there. It's Wednesday and the bloating is only just starting to go down from an accidently CC from sushi on Sunday; back pain still occuring as well. Nothing's worse than realizing part way through eating something that it was wrong! :S

Archived