26 replies to this topic

#1 Newtoitall

Newtoitall

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:41 AM

So, your sitting at your house, and some friends or family come over, lots of love and all that good stuff..

BUT

they have biscuts! or some glutteny evil product.

and they touch your stuff!! o.o *terrifying I know

So what do you do.

How do you clean it, I know it makes me a tad crazy =P

but seriously, what is the best way to clean something of gluten?

Gluten Free since Xmas 2010

Current Auto Immune Diseases:

Celiac Disease, Interstitial Cystitis, IBS, Dermatitis Herpetiformis, I'm playing life on Hard Mode.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 milkmommy

milkmommy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:29 PM

I'm wondering the same thing and will be watching this post to find out!!! This happens to me alot with my little one!!
Melissa
1996- (mis)Diagnosed with IBS. Depression/Anxiety disorder
2003 - Chronic anemia of unknown origin
2007 - Miscarriage for unknown reasons, (?celiac related)
Feb 2011 - positive ttg
April 2011 - endoscopy positive with visable damage, (scalloping/decrease folds)
- Biopsy marsh 3, gastritis, (other things I cant understand lol)
April 20th 2011 - Gluten free

#3 mamabear272

mamabear272

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:34 PM

I would say use canned air (like for the computer). Then I would wipe it down with an alcohol wipe.
Molly
dx: celiac sprue 6/7/2011 via blood test and biopsy
gluten-free: 6/7/2011

#4 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

I'm wondering the same thing and will be watching this post to find out!!! This happens to me alot with my little one!!

I remember an older post about this, and someone said Formula 409 is great. I usually wipe down surfaces with vinegar and hot water or (1-3 or 4) or bleach and water using latex gloves. Then I toss the dishcloth in the laundry. (I'm OCD about dishcloths.) Don't you wish you could just send them outside with their gluten? Like smokers? Maybe in 20 years or so, we'll see people standing outside of public buildings eating biscuits. :D
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#5 Lori2

Lori2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:20 PM

But isn't gluten a protein? You can get rid of bacteria with vinegar or alcohol but probably not gluten. And you can't kill it with heat--like in baking bread. I would think that the only thing you can do is wash (or wipe) it off. Just my opinion.

#6 milkmommy

milkmommy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:24 PM

I remember an older post about this, and someone said Formula 409 is great. I usually wipe down surfaces with vinegar and hot water or (1-3 or 4) or bleach and water using latex gloves. Then I toss the dishcloth in the laundry. (I'm OCD about dishcloths.) Don't you wish you could just send them outside with their gluten? Like smokers? Maybe in 20 years or so, we'll see people standing outside of public buildings eating biscuits. :D

oh if only Marilyn!! :lol: and they would have to decontaminate before coming in!!!
Melissa
1996- (mis)Diagnosed with IBS. Depression/Anxiety disorder
2003 - Chronic anemia of unknown origin
2007 - Miscarriage for unknown reasons, (?celiac related)
Feb 2011 - positive ttg
April 2011 - endoscopy positive with visable damage, (scalloping/decrease folds)
- Biopsy marsh 3, gastritis, (other things I cant understand lol)
April 20th 2011 - Gluten free

#7 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:34 PM

oh if only Marilyn!! :lol: and they would have to decontaminate before coming in!!!

:lol: :lol: I laughed when I read this but honestly it is very close to the truth at my house :ph34r: I live alone (except for my dog and two cats)My whole house (including my pets) is gluten free.
I will not have it in my house. I would not allow someone to bring poison in to my house ,,,,gluten is poison to me .

As to cleaning up after gluten,,,My understand is that plain soap and hot water is best,,,not that you can do that with your remote, :huh:

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#8 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:47 PM

Just wipe it really good with a damp cloth and don't ever put it in/near your mouth. Wash you hands well before eating and ask you friends/family (nicely) to wash their hands after eating. My home is gluten-free so they wouldn't be bringing any gluten in anyway. I have however gone so far as to ask my visitors to wash their hands as soon as they come in the door if they are staying for any length of time. I had guests from out of state a few months ago and they told me on the phone that they would pick up fast food on the road and eat it on the way. I asked them to put their fast food trash right in the dumpster outside (I even gave thema trash bag) and to wash their hands and face as soon as they came in the door. Once that was done I gave them a hug and a kiss. We ate gluten-free for the rest of the weekend so I didn't have to worry about any cc risks again.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#9 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,541 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:06 PM

We had a Xmas party for the people who work with my hub. It was all gluten-free. One of them brought a cheese ball (likely gluten-free but not in the strictest sense of cc at her house) and a box of Wheat Thins. Hub stopped her at the door, said we are doing gluten-free, we will leave the crackers by the coats & you can take them home. She was cool with that.

For a TV remote, I think you have to use that canned air & then maybe a damp cloth. I used vinengar when I baked with gluten to get it out of cracks. Seems to disolve the gummyness so you can wipe & rinse away. 409 seems to work well, too.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#10 Jenniferxgfx

Jenniferxgfx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:58 PM

When I worked in a lab, we used bleach to get rid of proteins on benchtops. I plan on doing this in my home, something equal to chlorox wipes (maybe make my own). Doesn't help for fabric/couches, though. :/

glutenfree since 6/2011. sick for 30 years.

borderline blood test, negative biopsy.

SEVERELY sensitive celiac with DH. sensitive to contact and ingestion.

asthma (was severe; improved exponentially after 6/11)

spina bifida & childhood SCI at L4/L5 (possibly complicated by weak bones)

countless fractures and infections.

i once listed over 100 symptoms or conditions that improved or were eliminated after 6/11.

very vegan. and, of course, i've also discovered some other food allergies.

#11 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:09 AM

I use 409 as a general purpose cleaner because it's so handy to use as a spray. I also use a lot of paper towels. On my phones, TV remotes, etc. I like to use rubbing alcohol...not saying that it does anything for gluten but it gets rid of any greasy film. I also use it occasionally on my keyboard for the same reason. I apply it to cosmetic pads and then wipe off the phones, remotes, etc.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#12 collgwg

collgwg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:14 AM

i have a husband who is not affected by gluten and he just really doesn't understand fully what we have to go through
i find gluten all over the place so i have a spray bottle with my fav cleaner and a bucket of water and i just go and wipe everywhere people would touch

it only takes 15 min to do a quick spray wipe chuck cloth in laundry or Lysol wipes work fantastic as well

#13 AzizaRivers

AzizaRivers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:47 AM

Wipe it down with soap and water. 409 and vinegar and stuff aren't really necessary as you can't "kill" gluten, you just have to do a good job wiping it away. You can hit it with 409 but if you haven't done a good job wiping it's still there. Just wipe stuff down often. Avoid having it around in the first place as much as possible.
Celiac diagnosed October-November 2010 (blood test negative, biopsy inconclusive after gluten-free for 6 weeks, miraculous diet results).

October 2010: Gluten free.
November 2010: No HFCS or artificial sweeteners.
March 2011: Gradually fading out soy.

#14 Willowmeadow

Willowmeadow

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:21 AM

I am new to all of this and I read somewhere that gluten can only affect you if consumed and not by touch? So I am unsure now and also about sharing cooking stuff like toaster etc. Surely for cc to happen you have to be extremely severe?
O dear I feel I will never be able to adjust to this new life I have had to enter.

#15 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:48 AM

I am new to all of this and I read somewhere that gluten can only affect you if consumed and not by touch? So I am unsure now and also about sharing cooking stuff like toaster etc. Surely for cc to happen you have to be extremely severe?
O dear I feel I will never be able to adjust to this new life I have had to enter.

It cannot be absorbed through your skin if that is what you are asking, but if someone else eats a sandwich and then touches say your remote, then you touch the remote and eat something after with your hands then you have just gotten glutened fromt touchign the remote. Some people are more sensitive than others but this is a very real scenario. You need to have at the very least a dedicated gluten-free toaster, wooden spoons, non-stick pans (gluten gets in the scratches of old cookware and will contaminate your food), collander/strainer for gluten-free pasta and new cutting board if your current one is wooden or plastic.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: