5 replies to this topic

#1 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

What does an endo test for specifically? I'm still having fatigue problems and was wondering. My mother suggested I find 1.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,995 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:46 PM

Among other things, they specialize glandular function, such as thyroid activity. Endocrinologists also treat diabetes.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:30 PM

Not a bad idea to have your thyroid antibodies and thyroid stimulating hormones and free T3 and T4 levels tested and mention your glucose issues to him/her. A good endo will know the relationship between celiac and thyroid disorders. They also treat adrenal disorders. When my thyroid was "misbehaving" pre-gluten-free, I was exhausted. It's stable now and I am not dragging myself around all day. Not running any road races yet, :) but not sleep-walking either :)
Best wishes!!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:52 PM

thanks everyone,
I know I don't have diabetes because I keep check with a monitor. I have to because i'm hypoglycemic. I have a problem when I get below 55. Not good at all. I have had fatigue since I was child and going gluten free has helped some but not a lot. I have started taking some things for the adrenals, and perimenopausal symptoms and that has helped a little but no where near where I would like.
I have several family members who have thyroid problems, some with Lupus, some with cancer, and the list goes on.
I just wish I could figure this out. I can be tired and then there is this tiredness I get that is just downright debilitating. The only way I can describe it is like turning a water faucet on. I mean I can be ok then all of a sudden I can feel like the energy is draining out of me. I have to lay down when that happens.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

#5 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:17 PM

My new endocrinologist on my first visit tested my thyroid function ( I have hypothyroidism) but also tested for Lupus,rheumatoid arthritis, hashimoto thyoiditis,graves disease, diabetics,and renal function among others.

The kind of tiredness you are describing happens for me when my thyroid is off. I agree with your mom, a visit to an endocrinologist may be a good idea

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#6 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:45 PM

It's worth a shot, especially if you have insurance.

If the endo doesn't come up with anything, have you been to an allergist? That helped me, but not everyone belives in the science behind it.

Good luck, I wish you well. :)
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: