4 replies to this topic

#1 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

I was wondering about thyroid symptoms. Does anyone have a salt symptom that is known to be a thyroid problem? I have become so sensitive to salt. It makes me sick to my stomach and gives me a headache. almost everything I eat tastes like it has been drenched in it. I have to wash it first and after I cook it it still tastes salty.
So, could this be a thyroid issue or have I just become real sensitive to it?

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:00 PM

I was wondering about thyroid symptoms. Does anyone have a salt symptom that is known to be a thyroid problem? I have become so sensitive to salt. It makes me sick to my stomach and gives me a headache. almost everything I eat tastes like it has been drenched in it. I have to wash it first and after I cook it it still tastes salty.

i dont know- but very interested. the only thing i know about salt and thyroid is that a BIG SALT CRAVING can be indicative of Hypothyroid.
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#3 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:15 PM

I go back and forth,, some times I crave salt and other times I am sooooo super sensitive to salt that I can not stand even the tiniest amounts :unsure:
I have thyroid issues ,,, hypothyroid and hashimotos,,,

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#4 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:23 PM

Sorry I have more questions than answers...could be a lot of things.

Have you ever been checked for Sjogren's? That family of things (lupus, sjogren's, rheumatoid arthritis) can possibly contribute according to this article from the Mayo Clinic.

GERD, Pituitary problem, lots of things. Are you using a mouthwash or tooth whitener that you weren't using before this started?

Are you sure you are drinking plenty of water? Dehydration can cause it. Do you think your thyroid is adequately treated? Thyroid is so often under-treated!

How is your blood pressure? Hypertension can also cause this.

Have you talked to your doctor about it?

best,

beachbirdie
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#5 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:08 AM

Before I was diagnosed with Hashi's I thought I was going to die after eating what tasted like pure salt shrimp. I felt like I couldn't drink enough water to get the salt taste out of my mouth. My face and neck felt like it was puffing. Not hot, like an allergic reaction. (It really did puff as that is one of the symptoms of Hashi's.)

Get checked out by a doctor asap. I know exactly how miserable salt can make you feel.
Michigan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: