7 replies to this topic

#1 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:36 PM

When my doctor did a celiac panel a few weeks ago, I had been eating wheat for only a month or so. Is that long enough to give a good result?

I just found out I have a DQ2.2, which is "low risk" for celiac, and my celiac panel showed low enough levels of antibodies to be considered negative. Doc didn't test for DQ1, though I have much northern European heritage (Irish/German)

Just wondering about the time frame.

thanks.

beachbirdie
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

When my doctor did a celiac panel a few weeks ago, I had been eating wheat for only a month or so. Is that long enough to give a good result?

I just found out I have a DQ2.2, which is "low risk" for celiac, and my celiac panel showed low enough levels of antibodies to be considered negative. Doc didn't test for DQ1, though I have much northern European heritage (Irish/German)

thanks.

beachbirdie

My understanding is that 3 to 4 months of eating the equivalent of 3 to 4 slices of bread a day is needed for a gluten challenge.
Even then some of us test "negative" for celiac's.
This is why it is so very important to be tested before going gluten free. But of course doctors don't tell us that <_<

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#3 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:31 PM

thanks.

beachbirdie

I have Irish/German ancestry too, what more evidence do you need? :)

Kidding. I have read something like 6 weeks to three months of eating gluten, but the usual preference seems to be 3 months minimum. And there is still a chance of false negatives. You might want to read up on Enterolabs site. Dr. Fine has paper there suggesting that the blood tests are insensitive because they test the blood for antibodies, while most of the antibodies are actually inside the intestine. Testing the wrong area in other words. Sounds reasonable to me. I haven't tried Enterolab testing myself, but I think his ideas on that part of it sound right.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#4 Hawthorn

Hawthorn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:10 AM

My doctor told me two weeks would be enough, after a year of being gluten free (or at the very least gluten light since I wasn't very aware of CC)

My bloods came back neg.

On the uk coeliac charity site, they recommend one gluten containing meal every day for six weeks so it seems that ideas on this varies greatly (as if all of this wasn't confusing enough right? )

Good luck :)

#5 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:35 AM

My doctors and dietitian all told me I absolutely must be eating the equivalent of four pieces of bread (at least) per day for three months (I had been off gluten for five months) for accurate results. As I did not have GI symptoms and love consuming gluten I was only too happy to oblige! :P But many would not be and I do not blame them one little bit.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#6 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:48 AM

I have Irish/German ancestry too, what more evidence do you need? :)

Kidding. I have read something like 6 weeks to three months of eating gluten, but the usual preference seems to be 3 months minimum. And there is still a chance of false negatives. You might want to read up on Enterolabs site. Dr. Fine has paper there suggesting that the blood tests are insensitive because they test the blood for antibodies, while most of the antibodies are actually inside the intestine. Testing the wrong area in other words. Sounds reasonable to me. I haven't tried Enterolab testing myself, but I think his ideas on that part of it sound right.

:D LOL! I just mention the Irish/German thing because so many say there is a strong connection of celiac and northern European. More reading last night tells me my husband and I probably gave our kids a double gene whammy, two of them have strong reactions to gluten and my husband's Latin heritage probably contributed another gene. :huh:

I'm convinced now that with the one gene that I know about, my other autoimmune disease (Hashimoto's thyroiditis) and our symptoms, we don't need to pursue a diagnosis any further. We need to be gluten-free.

Thanks for your answer!
1999 - Hypothyroid
2008 - Diverticulitis
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2

#7 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:49 AM

Many thanks to all of you for your replies!

beachbirdie
1999 - Hypothyroid
2008 - Diverticulitis
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2

#8 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:31 PM

:D LOL! I just mention the Irish/German thing because so many say there is a strong connection of celiac and northern European. More reading last night tells me my husband and I probably gave our kids a double gene whammy, two of them have strong reactions to gluten and my husband's Latin heritage probably contributed another gene. :huh:

I'm convinced now that with the one gene that I know about, my other autoimmune disease (Hashimoto's thyroiditis) and our symptoms, we don't need to pursue a diagnosis any further. We need to be gluten-free.

Thanks for your answer!

Oh yeah, Hashimoto's thyroiditis is strongly linked with celiac disease. There are plenty of threads on here by people with Hashimoto's.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: