Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Butter Substitute

7 posts in this topic

i am on a gluten-free casin free and soy free diet what can i use instead of butter

i even looked at "i can't believe its not buter" ingredients and yup theres soy in it

what do you use?

Ads by Google:

When I first went gluten-free, I bought Earth Balance Buttery Spread (the soy-free version). My local Wal-Mart carried it but I can't find it there any more. I use butter now but really like the Earth Balance.

If you're cooking with it, you can usually substitute any oil or grease. When backpacking, we use either bacon-grease or canola oil. It's worked for me in sauces, baked goods, and pretty much any time you aren't going to watch a pad of butter melt onto your toast.

If you're cooking with it, you can usually substitute any oil or grease. When backpacking, we use either bacon-grease or canola oil. It's worked for me in sauces, baked goods, and pretty much any time you aren't going to watch a pad of butter melt onto your toast.

It depends on what you want to use the butter for. Baking? Cooking?

Liquid fat would not work properly in many baking recipes such as pastry, biscuits, shortbread and so on because you need solid fat to build layers. It does work well in some baking such as cakes and quick breads as you sometimes must melt butter, anyway.

For baking I use palm oil shortening or coconut oil (which is a solid at room temp). I have used these with success in making cookies, cake, and non-bake items such as frostign and Rice Krispie treats. I also use them to grease pans and glass or ceramic cookware. I use LIGHT olive oil for anything that calls for melted butter or margerine. The "LIGHT" part is important if using olive oil. Light olive oil does not have strong olive or woody flavor like extra virgin or virgin or even plain olive oil.

For spreading on toast I have heard about Earth Balance but have never foudn the one that is soy free. I just do other types of spread on toast or sandwiches instead and don't miss the butter. Some examples of things you can spread: Apple butter, pumpkin butter, peanut butter, sunflower seed butter, almond butter, jam, jelly, or other fruit spreads, avocado, mayonnaisse, hummus, mashed up banana and honey.

If making a grilled type sandwich (like a pannini) I spitz the outside of the bread with oil and spray the pan with oil. I have a little olive oil spray bottle that I refill.

Soy-free earth balance is my favorite for when butter flavor is important. Coconut oil is great for saut

Just a suggestion - what about ghee, clarified butter? Purity Farms has one that is certified casein free on the label. I've never tried it, so I defer to anyone else out there who has ingested without problems. I know it will solidify much like the consistency of coconut oil but I'm not a baker, so not sure how good it will do there.