6 replies to this topic

#1 collgwg

collgwg

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:23 AM

i am on a gluten-free casin free and soy free diet what can i use instead of butter
i even looked at "i can't believe its not buter" ingredients and yup theres soy in it

what do you use?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:58 AM

When I first went gluten-free, I bought Earth Balance Buttery Spread (the soy-free version). My local Wal-Mart carried it but I can't find it there any more. I use butter now but really like the Earth Balance.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 Chiana

Chiana

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:00 AM

If you're cooking with it, you can usually substitute any oil or grease. When backpacking, we use either bacon-grease or canola oil. It's worked for me in sauces, baked goods, and pretty much any time you aren't going to watch a pad of butter melt onto your toast.

#4 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:40 AM

If you're cooking with it, you can usually substitute any oil or grease. When backpacking, we use either bacon-grease or canola oil. It's worked for me in sauces, baked goods, and pretty much any time you aren't going to watch a pad of butter melt onto your toast.

It depends on what you want to use the butter for. Baking? Cooking?

Liquid fat would not work properly in many baking recipes such as pastry, biscuits, shortbread and so on because you need solid fat to build layers. It does work well in some baking such as cakes and quick breads as you sometimes must melt butter, anyway.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#5 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:36 AM

For baking I use palm oil shortening or coconut oil (which is a solid at room temp). I have used these with success in making cookies, cake, and non-bake items such as frostign and Rice Krispie treats. I also use them to grease pans and glass or ceramic cookware. I use LIGHT olive oil for anything that calls for melted butter or margerine. The "LIGHT" part is important if using olive oil. Light olive oil does not have strong olive or woody flavor like extra virgin or virgin or even plain olive oil.

For spreading on toast I have heard about Earth Balance but have never foudn the one that is soy free. I just do other types of spread on toast or sandwiches instead and don't miss the butter. Some examples of things you can spread: Apple butter, pumpkin butter, peanut butter, sunflower seed butter, almond butter, jam, jelly, or other fruit spreads, avocado, mayonnaisse, hummus, mashed up banana and honey.

If making a grilled type sandwich (like a pannini) I spitz the outside of the bread with oil and spray the pan with oil. I have a little olive oil spray bottle that I refill.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#6 Jenniferxgfx

Jenniferxgfx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:44 AM

Soy-free earth balance is my favorite for when butter flavor is important. Coconut oil is great for sautéing, and I use canola oil in baking.

Most supermarkets I've asked are really interested in customer requests for products, so folks may want to special request soy-free earth balance to try it out if you're having trouble finding it.

glutenfree since 6/2011. sick for 30 years.

borderline blood test, negative biopsy.

SEVERELY sensitive celiac with DH. sensitive to contact and ingestion.

asthma (was severe; improved exponentially after 6/11)

spina bifida & childhood SCI at L4/L5 (possibly complicated by weak bones)

countless fractures and infections.

i once listed over 100 symptoms or conditions that improved or were eliminated after 6/11.

very vegan. and, of course, i've also discovered some other food allergies.

#7 kwylee

kwylee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:06 AM

Just a suggestion - what about ghee, clarified butter? Purity Farms has one that is certified casein free on the label. I've never tried it, so I defer to anyone else out there who has ingested without problems. I know it will solidify much like the consistency of coconut oil but I'm not a baker, so not sure how good it will do there.
K Wylee

Gluten Intolerant, Positive test, June 2010
Casein sensitivity, Positive test, June 2010
Reactive to soy, most processed foods & preservatives, June 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: